I have a computer without OS. How to install windows on it?

princeegli

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Theres nothing illegal about downloading an Operating system....if it requires a serial key,then you need to buy one when your up and running

If your a student,you can get windows embedded 8.1 for free at dreamspark.....or win10 TP for free.....or you can install a Linux free OS ....like Ubuntu

.....since you want to game though.....if your not a student....then you should just buy win8.1 or use the free winTP

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
It seems so complicated �� got any YouTube video to help do what you said �� thank you for your time!

That is NOT complicated - if you ' ... started studying computer only 3 months ago ... ' and you can't follow those simple directions, perhaps you need (to pay) someone to do it for you.

I'm gonna assume your assembled computer powers on?
You've shaken it out, everything works?

Most of what you've gotten is good advice, don't shoot the messenger. If your first reaction is those simple instructions are too complicated, you may be hard pressed to get an OS running on it. We only have your words to go by & I'm not very confident based on those words. You simply have to try those simple instructions, they may work ...

BTW - don't blame the instructions, if your PC doesn't boot up. There are many things that can go wrong with a home made computer. (hopefully, all the components are compatible)
You can search (Google / Bing) the instructions, yourself & decide what is right for you (I got lots of hits w video).

Conan143 nailed it as far as directions.

Spiros Mixailidis

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
That is NOT complicated - if you ' ... started studying computer only 3 months ago ... ' and you can't follow those simple directions, perhaps you need (to pay) someone to do it for you.

I'm gonna assume your assembled computer powers on?
You've shaken it out, everything works?

Most of what you've gotten is good advice, don't shoot the messenger. If your first reaction is those simple instructions are too complicated, you may be hard pressed to get an OS running on it. We only have your words to go by & I'm not very confident based on those words. You simply have to try those simple instructions, they may work ...

BTW - don't blame the instructions, if your PC doesn't boot up. There are many things that can go wrong with a home made computer. (hopefully, all the components are compatible)
You can search (Google / Bing) the instructions, yourself & decide what is right for you (I got lots of hits w video).

Conan143 nailed it as far as directions.
The problem is that I'm a bit afraid of using something not genuine on my new computer, it's expensive and I don't want to break something!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Theres nothing illegal about downloading an Operating system....if it requires a serial key,then you need to buy one when your up and running

True, but that's not really what was being discussed here. This discussion was about torrenting something illegal at no cost. The "no cost" part is what was important to the OP, which is why he's now decided to go with a Linux distro.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Just for your information.
You know that downloading an operating system without paying for it is illegal.
We can not prevent this because it is your own business but WC will not actively support illegal activities.

Except that, unfortunately, it's perfectly legit. Microsoft even have its own sites allowing people to download the OS. This is to cater to people like me, who bought a disk but gave a laptop with defective disk drive.

The same could not be said about the software key though.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
You didn't follow the press event did you?

W10 is free for a year after RTM release ;)

That is a bit too cheeky and comes off really bad considering you both followed the press event, but you were the one who didn't understand it.

W10 is free for one year, but only for those who already own a valid W7 or W8 license. Without such a license, W10 is not free. The OP obviously doesn't own such a license.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,I bought a new gaming computer that has no OS. I want to install windows(I don't care which version) on it(windows downloaded from the web) any ideas on how to do it? I'll use another computer to download anything is needed! Thank you!!

You can pay for and download ISO images of Windows directly from Microsoft. Many replies jumped on the OP assuming "pirate" motives. I see nothing in the OP indicating a desire to skip out on buying a license key...

Thank you my friends for your time! I found a way to install windows 7 through a cd ��! After installing it I'll get windows 8 for 150€! ����

You are overpaying for that upgrade.

The problem with putting the TP on the Hard Drive is after the preview ends you still have to pay unless you have a valid Win 7, 8 or 8.1 license. If you are staring with a "Cracked" copy of Win 7, just skip that. Don't use a questionable ISO. That means no download upgrade to 8.1, you must have a hard copy. Consider getting yourself a legitimate copy of 8.1 on DVD from the Microsoft Store online... Don't get caught out of the upgrade cycle when your "crack" gets recognized and closed down by Microsoft.

Want to save a few dollars? Search local retailers for Windows 7 disks. They should be at a discount. You may be able to score 7 Pro + Media Center at a really good price... Then you are 100% legitimate and will get the free upgrade to Windows 10 this fall. Based on past upgrades, Pro will upgrade to Pro and your Media Center will also come along. A disk of 7 is probably your best value option at this point.

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My two cents:

Installing a Linux OS is a fine choice if you are either: A very basic user or a very advanced user.
My recommendations personally are a flavor of Ubuntu (I favor Xubuntu or Ubuntu GNOME, but that's my personal choice)

They are speedy, more secure (for various reasons) and free. The problem comes in when you need to use Windows software which can be an issue much like the app gap is an issue for Windows Phone or if there's a piece of hardware on your system it doesn't know how to talk to properly.
There are ways of running Windows applications on Linux, (see WINE) but they are often hit-or-miss and work to varying degrees. (some work great, like Starcraft, some are workable like MS Office 2010, others just aren't gonna fly)

Gaming on Linux isn't a great ecosystem, but its like Windows Phone to a degree.

If all you do is web browse, it'll work great. If you are comfortable getting into the command line and whatnot, than it'll work fine too.

Windows 7, 8.0/1 are the Windows OSes I recommend you buy if you want Windows.
At the absolute oldest I'd allow would be Windows Vista, but with extended support ending eventually, its a stop-gap measure.

I haven't dealt with users here personally, but I have friends who have found deals here: Marketplace for Microsoft Software
Might want to read the rules and stuff there first.

Richard Culverhouse

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Except that, unfortunately, it's perfectly legit. Microsoft even have its own sites allowing people to download the OS. This is to cater to people like me, who bought a disk but gave a laptop with defective disk drive.

The same could not be said about the software key though.

Legit, yes. But you need to be careful where you get it from. The average Joe doesn't immediately think of going directly to Microsoft lol

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
My two cents:

Installing a Linux OS is a fine choice if you are either: A very basic user or a very advanced user.
My recommendations personally are a flavor of Ubuntu (I favor Xubuntu or Ubuntu GNOME, but that's my personal choice)

They are speedy, more secure (for various reasons) and free. The problem comes in when you need to use Windows software which can be an issue much like the app gap is an issue for Windows Phone or if there's a piece of hardware on your system it doesn't know how to talk to properly.
There are ways of running Windows applications on Linux, (see WINE) but they are often hit-or-miss and work to varying degrees. (some work great, like Starcraft, some are workable like MS Office 2010, others just aren't gonna fly)

Gaming on Linux isn't a great ecosystem, but its like Windows Phone to a degree.

If all you do is web browse, it'll work great. If you are comfortable getting into the command line and whatnot, than it'll work fine too.

Windows 7, 8.0/1 are the Windows OSes I recommend you buy if you want Windows.
At the absolute oldest I'd allow would be Windows Vista, but with extended support ending eventually, its a stop-gap measure.

I haven't dealt with users here personally, but I have friends who have found deals here: Marketplace for Microsoft Software
Might want to read the rules and stuff there first.

Just what he said.

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
If you want free and easy with 5 year support then download and install Linux Mint 17. You'll need to find someone with a working computer with internet connection since you need to download the iso file for whatever you system is 32 or 64 bit and burn it to a cd or dvd then just boot from the disc and install. A very small learning curve and you can't go wrong or ruin your computer. Go to linuxmint.com DON"T CLICK ON THE FANCY BLINKING DOWNLOAD BUTTON. Scroll down to where you find your language and closest mirror site to download the iso file. If you don't know if your computer is 32 or 64 bit, just get the 32 bit version and install it as it will also run on the 64 bit machine. It is free and you will learn something along the way. Very helpful forums. When you have more money or no interest in learning/tinkering, then by all means go for MS or Mac.
Linux Mint is much easier than Linux of years gone by. There are people who will gladly help on the Forums.
Send me pm if you get lost.
We were all newbies once!

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Why build an expensive PC if you can't afford windows? :/
and to all those who "Like" this comment...
OP states that he bought a "gaming computer" and is looking for an OS.
He isn't looking for attitude. Perhaps he bought a gaming computer because... he wanted to play games! Duh.
Now he is realizing there is more that he would like to do (or needs to play games) and is looking to take the next step.
As I said earlier, we were all newbies once. So, don't just give the guy a break, give him some help, not attitude.
Lecture over children. Now, go to your room.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
and to all those who "Like" this comment...
OP states that he bought a "gaming computer" and is looking for an OS.
He isn't looking for attitude. Perhaps he bought a gaming computer because... he wanted to play games! Duh.
Now he is realizing there is more that he would like to do (or needs to play games) and is looking to take the next step.
As I said earlier, we were all newbies once. So, don't just give the guy a break, give him some help, not attitude.
Lecture over children. Now, go to your room.
I'm just saying, if he has money for a fancy PC than he has money for an OS. The attitude you talk about came from the people who suggested Linux, you cannot play games on that OS. Anyway, system builder versions of windows on newegg run about $99. Compared to the price of that PC, i'm sure it's not that much.

MaxyBley

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm just saying, if he has money for a fancy PC than he has money for an OS. The attitude you talk about came from the people who suggested Linux, you cannot play games on that OS. Anyway, system builder versions of windows on newegg run about $99. Compared to the price of that PC, i'm sure it's not that much.

I use windows and all. But, you're either are biased or uninformed. There are games on Linux, lots of them. There some AAA titles and indies. Of course it doesn't compare to how many games Windows has.

The perfect way to think about Linux and the perfect example/comparison is Windows Phone. Windows phone have a low share market just like Linux. Both are really unique and fast. And both suffer from developer support. That being said that things are indeed looking better for both of them. In the apps/games support.

Another little thing. No one liked the idea of spending 100 bucks for just software no matter what it is. When you're on a budget. It's hard to just drop the 100 for a license of Windows 7/8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes