The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
12-08-2016 12:49 PM
60 123
tools
    Theres nothing illegal about downloading an Operating system....if it requires a serial key,then you need to buy one when your up and running
    True, but that's not really what was being discussed here. This discussion was about torrenting something illegal at no cost. The "no cost" part is what was important to the OP, which is why he's now decided to go with a Linux distro.
    02-21-2015 11:07 AM
    Its free for now but after it reaches RTM he should get a legitimate copy :(
    You didn't follow the press event did you?

W10 is free for a year after RTM release ;)
    02-21-2015 11:16 AM
    Just for your information.
    You know that downloading an operating system without paying for it is illegal.
    We can not prevent this because it is your own business but WC will not actively support illegal activities.
    Except that, unfortunately, it's perfectly legit. Microsoft even have its own sites allowing people to download the OS. This is to cater to people like me, who bought a disk but gave a laptop with defective disk drive.

The same could not be said about the software key though.
    02-21-2015 11:21 AM
    You didn't follow the press event did you?

W10 is free for a year after RTM release ;)
    That is a bit too cheeky and comes off really bad considering you both followed the press event, but you were the one who didn't understand it.

W10 is free for one year, but only for those who already own a valid W7 or W8 license. Without such a license, W10 is not free. The OP obviously doesn't own such a license.
    02-21-2015 12:04 PM
    Hello everyone,I bought a new gaming computer that has no OS. I want to install windows(I don't care which version) on it(windows downloaded from the web) any ideas on how to do it? I'll use another computer to download anything is needed! Thank you!!
    You can pay for and download ISO images of Windows directly from Microsoft. Many replies jumped on the OP assuming "pirate" motives. I see nothing in the OP indicating a desire to skip out on buying a license key...

Thank you my friends for your time! I found a way to install windows 7 through a cd ! After installing it I'll get windows 8 for 150€!
    You are overpaying for that upgrade.

The problem with putting the TP on the Hard Drive is after the preview ends you still have to pay unless you have a valid Win 7, 8 or 8.1 license. If you are staring with a "Cracked" copy of Win 7, just skip that. Don't use a questionable ISO. That means no download upgrade to 8.1, you must have a hard copy. Consider getting yourself a legitimate copy of 8.1 on DVD from the Microsoft Store online... Don't get caught out of the upgrade cycle when your "crack" gets recognized and closed down by Microsoft.

Want to save a few dollars? Search local retailers for Windows 7 disks. They should be at a discount. You may be able to score 7 Pro + Media Center at a really good price... Then you are 100% legitimate and will get the free upgrade to Windows 10 this fall. Based on past upgrades, Pro will upgrade to Pro and your Media Center will also come along. A disk of 7 is probably your best value option at this point.
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 02-21-2015 at 02:44 PM.
    02-21-2015 12:16 PM
    My two cents:

Installing a Linux OS is a fine choice if you are either: A very basic user or a very advanced user.
    My recommendations personally are a flavor of Ubuntu (I favor Xubuntu or Ubuntu GNOME, but that's my personal choice)

They are speedy, more secure (for various reasons) and free. The problem comes in when you need to use Windows software which can be an issue much like the app gap is an issue for Windows Phone or if there's a piece of hardware on your system it doesn't know how to talk to properly.
    There are ways of running Windows applications on Linux, (see WINE) but they are often hit-or-miss and work to varying degrees. (some work great, like Starcraft, some are workable like MS Office 2010, others just aren't gonna fly)

Gaming on Linux isn't a great ecosystem, but its like Windows Phone to a degree.

If all you do is web browse, it'll work great. If you are comfortable getting into the command line and whatnot, than it'll work fine too.

Windows 7, 8.0/1 are the Windows OSes I recommend you buy if you want Windows.
    At the absolute oldest I'd allow would be Windows Vista, but with extended support ending eventually, its a stop-gap measure.

I haven't dealt with users here personally, but I have friends who have found deals here: Marketplace for Microsoft Software
    Might want to read the rules and stuff there first.
    02-21-2015 01:39 PM
    Except that, unfortunately, it's perfectly legit. Microsoft even have its own sites allowing people to download the OS. This is to cater to people like me, who bought a disk but gave a laptop with defective disk drive.

The same could not be said about the software key though.
    Legit, yes. But you need to be careful where you get it from. The average Joe doesn't immediately think of going directly to Microsoft lol
    RumoredNow, nycny and Harrie-S like this.
    02-21-2015 01:39 PM
    Legit, yes. But you need to be careful where you get it from. The average Joe doesn't immediately think of going directly to Microsoft lol
    02-21-2015 04:21 PM
    Write your own OS
    Hey I can do that! Just give me 25 years to do it :P
    02-21-2015 04:26 PM
    My two cents:

Installing a Linux OS is a fine choice if you are either: A very basic user or a very advanced user.
    My recommendations personally are a flavor of Ubuntu (I favor Xubuntu or Ubuntu GNOME, but that's my personal choice)

They are speedy, more secure (for various reasons) and free. The problem comes in when you need to use Windows software which can be an issue much like the app gap is an issue for Windows Phone or if there's a piece of hardware on your system it doesn't know how to talk to properly.
    There are ways of running Windows applications on Linux, (see WINE) but they are often hit-or-miss and work to varying degrees. (some work great, like Starcraft, some are workable like MS Office 2010, others just aren't gonna fly)

Gaming on Linux isn't a great ecosystem, but its like Windows Phone to a degree.

If all you do is web browse, it'll work great. If you are comfortable getting into the command line and whatnot, than it'll work fine too.

Windows 7, 8.0/1 are the Windows OSes I recommend you buy if you want Windows.
    At the absolute oldest I'd allow would be Windows Vista, but with extended support ending eventually, its a stop-gap measure.

I haven't dealt with users here personally, but I have friends who have found deals here: Marketplace for Microsoft Software
    Might want to read the rules and stuff there first.
    Just what he said.
    xandros9 and brusbrother like this.
    02-21-2015 04:47 PM
    If you want free and easy with 5 year support then download and install Linux Mint 17. You'll need to find someone with a working computer with internet connection since you need to download the iso file for whatever you system is 32 or 64 bit and burn it to a cd or dvd then just boot from the disc and install. A very small learning curve and you can't go wrong or ruin your computer. Go to linuxmint.com DON"T CLICK ON THE FANCY BLINKING DOWNLOAD BUTTON. Scroll down to where you find your language and closest mirror site to download the iso file. If you don't know if your computer is 32 or 64 bit, just get the 32 bit version and install it as it will also run on the 64 bit machine. It is free and you will learn something along the way. Very helpful forums. When you have more money or no interest in learning/tinkering, then by all means go for MS or Mac.
    Linux Mint is much easier than Linux of years gone by. There are people who will gladly help on the Forums.
    Send me pm if you get lost.
    We were all newbies once!
    RumoredNow and MaxyBley like this.
    02-21-2015 08:43 PM
    The problem is that I'm a bit afraid of using something not genuine on my new computer, it's expensive and I don't want to break something!
    Why build an expensive PC if you can't afford windows? :/
    02-21-2015 08:50 PM
    Why build an expensive PC if you can't afford windows? :/
    and to all those who "Like" this comment...
    OP states that he bought a "gaming computer" and is looking for an OS.
    He isn't looking for attitude. Perhaps he bought a gaming computer because... he wanted to play games! Duh.
    Now he is realizing there is more that he would like to do (or needs to play games) and is looking to take the next step.
    As I said earlier, we were all newbies once. So, don't just give the guy a break, give him some help, not attitude.
    Lecture over children. Now, go to your room.
    02-21-2015 11:44 PM
    and to all those who "Like" this comment...
    OP states that he bought a "gaming computer" and is looking for an OS.
    He isn't looking for attitude. Perhaps he bought a gaming computer because... he wanted to play games! Duh.
    Now he is realizing there is more that he would like to do (or needs to play games) and is looking to take the next step.
    As I said earlier, we were all newbies once. So, don't just give the guy a break, give him some help, not attitude.
    Lecture over children. Now, go to your room.
    I'm just saying, if he has money for a fancy PC than he has money for an OS. The attitude you talk about came from the people who suggested Linux, you cannot play games on that OS. Anyway, system builder versions of windows on newegg run about $99. Compared to the price of that PC, i'm sure it's not that much.
    a5cent likes this.
    02-22-2015 01:03 AM
    I'm just saying, if he has money for a fancy PC than he has money for an OS. The attitude you talk about came from the people who suggested Linux, you cannot play games on that OS. Anyway, system builder versions of windows on newegg run about $99. Compared to the price of that PC, i'm sure it's not that much.
    I use windows and all. But, you're either are biased or uninformed. There are games on Linux, lots of them. There some AAA titles and indies. Of course it doesn't compare to how many games Windows has.

The perfect way to think about Linux and the perfect example/comparison is Windows Phone. Windows phone have a low share market just like Linux. Both are really unique and fast. And both suffer from developer support. That being said that things are indeed looking better for both of them. In the apps/games support.

Another little thing. No one liked the idea of spending 100 bucks for just software no matter what it is. When you're on a budget. It's hard to just drop the 100 for a license of Windows 7/8.
    02-22-2015 02:11 AM
    I wouldn't reccomend Linux since it's rather complicated to use if you have no expirience. My suggestion is to go and buy legitimate copy of Windows 8. It's about 150 in my country. When 10 comes to market, you'll be able to update it for free so you are fine for at least 3 years. It's not big cost when you think it that way. 😉
    I would love for people to stop being misinformed. Like really. "is a rather complicated OS" what's complicated about it? Even using a USB to install Ubuntu has a an interface to go through the setting of install just like Windows. Ubuntu has a really good looking UI too. With a taskbar that is as easy to use as Windows.

Don't get me wrong guys. I love Windows, as a matter of fact I have Windows 10 preview both for my phone and PC. But, I've also tried other things and also love Linux (Ubuntu in specific). Which is why I also have Ubuntu as a dual boot.

I hate when I see people spreading lies about Windows or Linux. "Linux is complicated" is not. "Windows has a lot of malware and so slow" only those people stupid enough to download from or go to weird/unknown websites. And Windows 8 is blazing fast. "Linux doesnt have any programs" there just like in WP a lot of good alternatives.
    Tom Snyder likes this.
    02-22-2015 02:26 AM
    Out of all the people. You, my WP friends should not talk to bad about Linux. Because, it is just like WP. When you say that Linux is "different, complicated" and that "there's a app/programs gap". You are pretty much talking about WP as well. Linux and WP are so different than the competition in a very good way. With features of their own.

But than again, it could be that I just like the "underdog" OS's. Because, WP and Linux are trying so hard to win us over. And try so hard to be different and they innovate too.

So please, don't be that guy. Don't put down on an OS just because you don't understand it or never tried it or don't like it. Because that doesn't mean they're bad.
    mathsisbest and princeegli like this.
    02-22-2015 02:38 AM
    Another little thing. No one liked the idea of spending 100 bucks for just software no matter what it is. When you're on a budget. It's hard to just drop the 100 for a license of Windows 7/8.

Out of all the off-topic posts in this thread, this is the one I like least.

The reason people find it difficult to spend $99 on a Windows license, or the reason why you call it "just" software, is purely psychological. We can't touch software the way we can a motherboard, so in comparison to a piece of hardware it doesn't feel like we're really getting our money's worth. It also feels wrong, when we're asked to pay $99 for software that can be distributed across the internet or on optical media, which costs between $0 and $1.

Ultimately though, that is just our ignorance and our mind's inability to deal with abstract things that's playing tricks on us.

People don't realize that even the $500 graphics card in their PC is really dirt cheap. An iPhone that we might pay $700 for, costs Apple about $130 to produce, and that includes all the margins for part suppliers (Apple doesn't manufacture anything themselves). Remove those supplier's margins and calculate only the material cost, and a $700 smartphone ends up being worth less than $20. The point is, computer hardware costs very little. What we're actually paying for is the engineering effort that went into designing it... and marketing.

With software that is no different. In fact, it takes far more engineering effort to create the Windows OS than it takes to design any hardware component in your PC. The OS is effectively the most expensive part in any computer (requires the largest development effort).

If a midrange graphics card is worth $250, paying $99 for an OS is a steal, because you're purchasing far more engineering effort at a lower price. That people don't intuitively understand that doesn't change the economics behind it.

If we can afford the hardware, then we can and should afford the software too. Anything else is just a lame excuse.
    02-22-2015 03:54 AM

The reason people find it difficult to spend $99 on a Windows license, or the reason why you call it "just" software, is purely psychological. We can't touch software the way we can a motherboard, so in comparison to a piece of hardware it doesn't feel like we're really getting our money's worth. It also feels wrong, when we're asked to pay $99 for software that can be distributed across the internet or on optical media, which costs between $0 and $1.

Ultimately though, that is just our ignorance and our mind's inability to deal with abstract things that's playing tricks on us.

People don't realize that even the $500 graphics card in their PC is really dirt cheap. An iPhone that we might pay $700 for, costs Apple about $130 to produce, and that includes all the margins for part suppliers (Apple doesn't manufacture anything themselves). Remove those supplier's margins and calculate only the material cost, and a $700 smartphone ends up being worth less than $20. The point is, computer hardware costs very little. What we're actually paying for is the engineering effort that went into designing it... and marketing.

With software that is no different. In fact, it takes far more engineering effort to create the Windows OS than it takes to design any hardware component in your PC. The OS is effectively the most expensive part in any computer (requires the largest development effort).

If a midrange graphics card is worth $250, paying $99 for an OS is a steal, because you're purchasing far more engineering effort at a lower price. That people don't intuitively understand that doesn't change the economics behind it.

If we can afford the hardware, then we can and should afford the software too. Anything else is just a lame excuse.
    And just to add to what you said, You cannot use any hardware without some form of software.
    02-22-2015 04:30 AM
    And just to add to what you said, You cannot use any hardware without some form of software.

ignoring the fact that LINUX is FREE?
    Last edited by brusbrother; 02-22-2015 at 05:57 AM.
    02-22-2015 05:12 AM
    Id say if you have Windows 7 you really don't need to upgrade to win8. There is really no difference if you use it on a desktop PC. Win7 will do fine. Also win10 will be out the door soon so don't waste money.also Linux is a great Os. Ubuntu is the easiest and has everything preinstalled. Steam also supports Linux. and I think Linux will be the future.
    02-22-2015 05:33 AM
    ignoring the fact that LINUX is FREE?

How is that at all relevant?

If thousands of people agree to contribute their time to a good cause, or find companies to sponsor them, that's one thing. Windows is a completely different thing, as the people working on that do want to get paid for it.

I could just as well have said: "it's fair to pay for my Oreo cookies at the supermarket", to which you replied: "Ignoring the fact my mom baked cookies for free."

Makes no sense...

Both OSes have been built up over decades. Both represent billions of dollars worth of engineering investments. The fact that one group views it as a charity while the other doesn't, changes nothing about that fact.

If Linux works for the OP then that's a great choice. A free Linux just doesn't entitle us to a free Windows, just like our moms home baked cookies don't entitle us to free Oreos.
    Last edited by a5cent; 02-22-2015 at 06:43 AM.
    xandros9 and anon(5445874) like this.
    02-22-2015 06:22 AM
    Hello everyone,I bought a new gaming computer that has no OS. I want to install windows(I don't care which version) on it(windows downloaded from the web) any ideas on how to do it? I'll use another computer to download anything is needed! Thank you!!
    Buy a Version of Windows, get the ISO and burn it to a blank DVD. You can do this for the Preview of Windows 10, download ISO, burn to a DVD (or using the "Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool" to setup to a USB drive of 4gb or higer).

Put in USB drive or DVD into computer, watch for popups when the computer boots, find the Boot menu, select USB or DVD, and follow the instructions.

Buy windows, do not pirate it, it's illegal and will cause you more headache than it's worth (activation will fail at some point and you wont be able to use it)
    02-22-2015 08:37 AM
    Yes, I would also install the preview (it is free for some time). Linux is also ok, the question is: do you use it for something or only to play around?
    Of course you can download also a torrent-ISO, but you probably get some activation errors when you try to use your Windows copy, so if you want a stable version, a Linux distibution would be better.

You can download the Windows 10 preview for free here:
    windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

​just saying windows 10 in preview is more stable than Linux.... used Ubuntu for enough time to safely say this.
    02-22-2015 10:01 AM
    ​just saying windows 10 in preview is more stable than Linux.... used Ubuntu for enough time to safely say this.
    Ironically, my experience is the reverse. (although there is so many variety of Linux, many more unstable than others)
    02-22-2015 10:19 AM
60 123