12-08-2016 12:49 PM
60 123
tools
    Well I agree with you, but it's still in preview!
    It's pretty stable. Also, it may be the best way for you to actually legally AVOID having to pay for Windows. Microsoft intends to update the preview until the final build, which means, if you're on the preview, you'll get the final retail Windows 10 when it's out.

Otherwise you'll be spending money on Windows 7 or 8 just to then upgrade it to Windows 10 for free when you had no need for it ;)
    02-22-2015 02:30 PM
    It's pretty stable. Also, it may be the best way for you to actually legally AVOID having to pay for Windows. Microsoft intends to update the preview until the final build, which means, if you're on the preview, you'll get the final retail Windows 10 when it's out.

Otherwise you'll be spending money on Windows 7 or 8 just to then upgrade it to Windows 10 for free when you had no need for it ;)
    I'm not sure that that's a true statement. Sure it's possible, but not likely. You'll still probably need a key behind it. I wouldn't be surprised if after the technical preview was over it asked you to activate. Of course, installing windows 10 still makes sense. And the price point isn't set, speculation has been that they will offer it for less than what they've done historically. But keep in mind that's just a bunch of guessing.
    a5cent likes this.
    02-22-2015 02:39 PM
    I'm not sure that that's a true statement. Sure it's possible, but not likely. You'll still probably need a key behind it. I wouldn't be surprised if after the technical preview was over it asked you to activate. Of course, installing windows 10 still makes sense. And the price point isn't set, speculation has been that they will offer it for less than what they've done historically. But keep in mind that's just a bunch of guessing.
    There's a generic key you can use I believe.
    It'll probably ask for some legit key down the road if its going to turn into the official release.

You pay by being a guinea pig of sorts for testing their unfinished code, and submit to more logging that normal, etc.
    02-22-2015 06:37 PM
    i have no idea how Linux is even considered, it is very crippling, you face huge difficulties in a lot of areas, the first and major one is EXE, yes wine works but it is very buggy.

​Windows are moving into a different business model, with that in mind, i think that windows 10 will be a free OS, not an open one like Linux, but free.... where they will get their money from a different area which i still do not know what exactly.
    02-24-2015 06:07 AM
    i have no idea how Linux is even considered, it is very crippling, you face huge difficulties in a lot of areas, the first and major one is EXE, yes wine works but it is very buggy.
    Well, its easy to install (I'm talking the more popular distros) and for basic office suite usage, web browsing, chat and other basic functions it works fine.
    I would have no issues having my parents use Linux since they, and I'm sure many others, are basic enough users so as to not really run into its shortcomings in normal use. They just use the web browser, which Ubuntu or most any flavor would handle just fine. (maybe I'll do that actually)

It's when you try to do more slightly more advanced things where Linux alternatives don't cut it for normal users.
    (If you're a techie who knows your terminal commands and stuff though, less of an issue.)
    02-24-2015 11:51 AM
    Well, its easy to install (I'm talking the more popular distros) and for basic office suite usage, web browsing, chat and other basic functions it works fine.
    I would have no issues having my parents use Linux since they, and I'm sure many others, are basic enough users so as to not really run into its shortcomings in normal use. They just use the web browser, which Ubuntu or most any flavor would handle just fine. (maybe I'll do that actually)

It's when you try to do more slightly more advanced things where Linux alternatives don't cut it for normal users.
    (If you're a techie who knows your terminal commands and stuff though, less of an issue.)
    Many years ago I tried and gave up on Linux. No support for various drivers etc and all types of workarounds that I had little patience for.
    That has now all changed. I am using Linux Mint 17. Comes preloaded with Libre (like Office), Gimp (like Photoshop), Firefox (just like Firefox) and enough video codecs that when the wife's Win 7 machine fails to open various files for her business, she jumps right into Linux and it just plain works. I would say the user interface is somewhere between MS and Mac so no more of a learning curve than either of those.
    True about some more complicated things like networking and getting certain printers/scanners and peripherals to behave but for the most part, an ever decreasing issue.
    Tradeoff - no virus protection and never been infected in over 6 years. Oh and it is Open Source which also happens to be sponsor supported so FREE to you and me.
    As far as exe. who cares?
    I gave up on MS and iOS when they each kept relegating perfectly good hardware to the junk heap for lack of continued support.
    I do use MS tablets and am impressed with Win 8.1. As far as spending for a Mac, it is more glam than I need for my basic usage. OP has nothing to lose in trying Linux. Hopefully, he already has. He just may appreciate the world beyond click, double click, send, receive with homage to the IT Crowd ;-)
    xandros9 likes this.
    02-24-2015 07:11 PM
    Hey everyone, I installed windows 7 ultimate 64bit on my computer! But I have a problem! When I use hdmi cable and connect my PC with my tv(1080p, I get really bad graphics and screen is zoomed in so I can't see on the whole picture! I zoned out but nothing. If anyone can help me with it I would really appreciate it!(I tried myself,I couldn't found a solution,I searched on Bing and YouTube)
    02-25-2015 11:35 AM
    Hey everyone, I installed windows 7 ultimate 64bit on my computer! But I have a problem! When I use hdmi cable and connect my PC with my tv(1080p, I get really bad graphics and screen is zoomed in so I can't see on the whole picture! I zoned out but nothing. If anyone can help me with it I would really appreciate it!(I tried myself,I couldn't found a solution,I searched on Bing and YouTube)
    Did you check the display settings (on the PC) it treats the TV as an auxiliary monitor.
    or You may need drivers for your video card ...
    anon8959613 and xandros9 like this.
    02-25-2015 04:29 PM
    What if I have a USB with widows 10 (64 bit) on it? Can I still download the OS with a USB on an OS-less pc?
    12-08-2016 12:08 PM
    What if I have a USB with widows 10 (64 bit) on it? Can I still download the OS with a USB on an OS-less pc?
    Hi Double posting will not get your issue solved any quicker!
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...s-less-pc.html
    Last edited by holdum333; 12-08-2016 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Double posting! adding the link!
    12-08-2016 12:49 PM
60 123