I have a computer without OS. How to install windows on it?

MaxyBley

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't reccomend Linux since it's rather complicated to use if you have no expirience. My suggestion is to go and buy legitimate copy of Windows 8. It's about 150? in my country. When 10 comes to market, you'll be able to update it for free so you are fine for at least 3 years. It's not big cost when you think it that way. 😉

I would love for people to stop being misinformed. Like really. "is a rather complicated OS" what's complicated about it? Even using a USB to install Ubuntu has a an interface to go through the setting of install just like Windows. Ubuntu has a really good looking UI too. With a taskbar that is as easy to use as Windows.

Don't get me wrong guys. I love Windows, as a matter of fact I have Windows 10 preview both for my phone and PC. But, I've also tried other things and also love Linux (Ubuntu in specific). Which is why I also have Ubuntu as a dual boot.

I hate when I see people spreading lies about Windows or Linux. "Linux is complicated" is not. "Windows has a lot of malware and so slow" only those people stupid enough to download from or go to weird/unknown websites. And Windows 8 is blazing fast. "Linux doesnt have any programs" there just like in WP a lot of good alternatives.

MaxyBley

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Out of all the people. You, my WP friends should not talk to bad about Linux. Because, it is just like WP. When you say that Linux is "different, complicated" and that "there's a app/programs gap". You are pretty much talking about WP as well. Linux and WP are so different than the competition in a very good way. With features of their own.

But than again, it could be that I just like the "underdog" OS's. Because, WP and Linux are trying so hard to win us over. And try so hard to be different and they innovate too.

So please, don't be that guy. Don't put down on an OS just because you don't understand it or never tried it or don't like it. Because that doesn't mean they're bad.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Another little thing. No one liked the idea of spending 100 bucks for just software no matter what it is. When you're on a budget. It's hard to just drop the 100 for a license of Windows 7/8.

Out of all the off-topic posts in this thread, this is the one I like least.

The reason people find it difficult to spend $99 on a Windows license, or the reason why you call it "just" software, is purely psychological. We can't touch software the way we can a motherboard, so in comparison to a piece of hardware it doesn't feel like we're really getting our money's worth. It also feels wrong, when we're asked to pay $99 for software that can be distributed across the internet or on optical media, which costs between $0 and $1.

Ultimately though, that is just our ignorance and our mind's inability to deal with abstract things that's playing tricks on us.

People don't realize that even the $500 graphics card in their PC is really dirt cheap. An iPhone that we might pay $700 for, costs Apple about $130 to produce, and that includes all the margins for part suppliers (Apple doesn't manufacture anything themselves). Remove those supplier's margins and calculate only the material cost, and a $700 smartphone ends up being worth less than $20. The point is, computer hardware costs very little. What we're actually paying for is the engineering effort that went into designing it... and marketing.

With software that is no different. In fact, it takes far more engineering effort to create the Windows OS than it takes to design any hardware component in your PC. The OS is effectively the most expensive part in any computer (requires the largest development effort).

If a midrange graphics card is worth $250, paying $99 for an OS is a steal, because you're purchasing far more engineering effort at a lower price. That people don't intuitively understand that doesn't change the economics behind it.

If we can afford the hardware, then we can and should afford the software too. Anything else is just a lame excuse.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

The reason people find it difficult to spend $99 on a Windows license, or the reason why you call it "just" software, is purely psychological. We can't touch software the way we can a motherboard, so in comparison to a piece of hardware it doesn't feel like we're really getting our money's worth. It also feels wrong, when we're asked to pay $99 for software that can be distributed across the internet or on optical media, which costs between $0 and $1.

Ultimately though, that is just our ignorance and our mind's inability to deal with abstract things that's playing tricks on us.

People don't realize that even the $500 graphics card in their PC is really dirt cheap. An iPhone that we might pay $700 for, costs Apple about $130 to produce, and that includes all the margins for part suppliers (Apple doesn't manufacture anything themselves). Remove those supplier's margins and calculate only the material cost, and a $700 smartphone ends up being worth less than $20. The point is, computer hardware costs very little. What we're actually paying for is the engineering effort that went into designing it... and marketing.

With software that is no different. In fact, it takes far more engineering effort to create the Windows OS than it takes to design any hardware component in your PC. The OS is effectively the most expensive part in any computer (requires the largest development effort).

If a midrange graphics card is worth $250, paying $99 for an OS is a steal, because you're purchasing far more engineering effort at a lower price. That people don't intuitively understand that doesn't change the economics behind it.

If we can afford the hardware, then we can and should afford the software too. Anything else is just a lame excuse.
And just to add to what you said, You cannot use any hardware without some form of software.

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
And just to add to what you said, You cannot use any hardware without some form of software.

ignoring the fact that LINUX is FREE?

Last edited:

rospower96

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Id say if you have Windows 7 you really don't need to upgrade to win8. There is really no difference if you use it on a desktop PC. Win7 will do fine. Also win10 will be out the door soon so don't waste money.also Linux is a great Os. Ubuntu is the easiest and has everything preinstalled. Steam also supports Linux. and I think Linux will be the future.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
ignoring the fact that LINUX is FREE?

How is that at all relevant?

If thousands of people agree to contribute their time to a good cause, or find companies to sponsor them, that's one thing. Windows is a completely different thing, as the people working on that do want to get paid for it.

I could just as well have said: "it's fair to pay for my Oreo cookies at the supermarket", to which you replied: "Ignoring the fact my mom baked cookies for free."

Makes no sense...

Both OSes have been built up over decades. Both represent billions of dollars worth of engineering investments. The fact that one group views it as a charity while the other doesn't, changes nothing about that fact.

If Linux works for the OP then that's a great choice. A free Linux just doesn't entitle us to a free Windows, just like our moms home baked cookies don't entitle us to free Oreos.

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone,I bought a new gaming computer that has no OS. I want to install windows(I don't care which version) on it(windows downloaded from the web) any ideas on how to do it? I'll use another computer to download anything is needed! Thank you!!

Buy a Version of Windows, get the ISO and burn it to a blank DVD. You can do this for the Preview of Windows 10, download ISO, burn to a DVD (or using the "Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool" to setup to a USB drive of 4gb or higer).

Put in USB drive or DVD into computer, watch for popups when the computer boots, find the Boot menu, select USB or DVD, and follow the instructions.

Buy windows, do not pirate it, it's illegal and will cause you more headache than it's worth (activation will fail at some point and you wont be able to use it)

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I would also install the preview (it is free for some time). Linux is also ok, the question is: do you use it for something or only to play around?
Of course you can download also a torrent-ISO, but you probably get some activation errors when you try to use your Windows copy, so if you want a stable version, a Linux distibution would be better.

You can download the Windows 10 preview for free here:
windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

​just saying windows 10 in preview is more stable than Linux.... used Ubuntu for enough time to safely say this.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
​just saying windows 10 in preview is more stable than Linux.... used Ubuntu for enough time to safely say this.

Ironically, my experience is the reverse. (although there is so many variety of Linux, many more unstable than others)

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well I agree with you, but it's still in preview!

It's pretty stable. Also, it may be the best way for you to actually legally AVOID having to pay for Windows. Microsoft intends to update the preview until the final build, which means, if you're on the preview, you'll get the final retail Windows 10 when it's out.

Otherwise you'll be spending money on Windows 7 or 8 just to then upgrade it to Windows 10 for free when you had no need for it ;)

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
It's pretty stable. Also, it may be the best way for you to actually legally AVOID having to pay for Windows. Microsoft intends to update the preview until the final build, which means, if you're on the preview, you'll get the final retail Windows 10 when it's out.

Otherwise you'll be spending money on Windows 7 or 8 just to then upgrade it to Windows 10 for free when you had no need for it ;)
I'm not sure that that's a true statement. Sure it's possible, but not likely. You'll still probably need a key behind it. I wouldn't be surprised if after the technical preview was over it asked you to activate. Of course, installing windows 10 still makes sense. And the price point isn't set, speculation has been that they will offer it for less than what they've done historically. But keep in mind that's just a bunch of guessing.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure that that's a true statement. Sure it's possible, but not likely. You'll still probably need a key behind it. I wouldn't be surprised if after the technical preview was over it asked you to activate. Of course, installing windows 10 still makes sense. And the price point isn't set, speculation has been that they will offer it for less than what they've done historically. But keep in mind that's just a bunch of guessing.

There's a generic key you can use I believe.
It'll probably ask for some legit key down the road if its going to turn into the official release.

You pay by being a guinea pig of sorts for testing their unfinished code, and submit to more logging that normal, etc.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
i have no idea how Linux is even considered, it is very crippling, you face huge difficulties in a lot of areas, the first and major one is EXE, yes wine works but it is very buggy.

​Windows are moving into a different business model, with that in mind, i think that windows 10 will be a free OS, not an open one like Linux, but free.... where they will get their money from a different area which i still do not know what exactly.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
i have no idea how Linux is even considered, it is very crippling, you face huge difficulties in a lot of areas, the first and major one is EXE, yes wine works but it is very buggy.

Well, its easy to install (I'm talking the more popular distros) and for basic office suite usage, web browsing, chat and other basic functions it works fine.
I would have no issues having my parents use Linux since they, and I'm sure many others, are basic enough users so as to not really run into its shortcomings in normal use. They just use the web browser, which Ubuntu or most any flavor would handle just fine. (maybe I'll do that actually)

It's when you try to do more slightly more advanced things where Linux alternatives don't cut it for normal users.
(If you're a techie who knows your terminal commands and stuff though, less of an issue.)

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Well, its easy to install (I'm talking the more popular distros) and for basic office suite usage, web browsing, chat and other basic functions it works fine.
I would have no issues having my parents use Linux since they, and I'm sure many others, are basic enough users so as to not really run into its shortcomings in normal use. They just use the web browser, which Ubuntu or most any flavor would handle just fine. (maybe I'll do that actually)

It's when you try to do more slightly more advanced things where Linux alternatives don't cut it for normal users.
(If you're a techie who knows your terminal commands and stuff though, less of an issue.)
Many years ago I tried and gave up on Linux. No support for various drivers etc and all types of workarounds that I had little patience for.
That has now all changed. I am using Linux Mint 17. Comes preloaded with Libre (like Office), Gimp (like Photoshop), Firefox (just like Firefox) and enough video codecs that when the wife's Win 7 machine fails to open various files for her business, she jumps right into Linux and it just plain works. I would say the user interface is somewhere between MS and Mac so no more of a learning curve than either of those.
True about some more complicated things like networking and getting certain printers/scanners and peripherals to behave but for the most part, an ever decreasing issue.
Tradeoff - no virus protection and never been infected in over 6 years. Oh and it is Open Source which also happens to be sponsor supported so FREE to you and me.
As far as exe. who cares?
I gave up on MS and iOS when they each kept relegating perfectly good hardware to the junk heap for lack of continued support.
I do use MS tablets and am impressed with Win 8.1. As far as spending for a Mac, it is more glam than I need for my basic usage. OP has nothing to lose in trying Linux. Hopefully, he already has. He just may appreciate the world beyond click, double click, send, receive with homage to the IT Crowd ;-)

Spiros Mixailidis

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone, I installed windows 7 ultimate 64bit on my computer! But I have a problem! When I use hdmi cable and connect my PC with my tv(1080p, I get really bad graphics and screen is zoomed in so I can't see on the whole picture! I zoned out but nothing. If anyone can help me with it I would really appreciate it!(I tried myself,I couldn't found a solution,I searched on Bing and YouTube)

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone, I installed windows 7 ultimate 64bit on my computer! But I have a problem! When I use hdmi cable and connect my PC with my tv(1080p, I get really bad graphics and screen is zoomed in so I can't see on the whole picture! I zoned out but nothing. If anyone can help me with it I would really appreciate it!(I tried myself,I couldn't found a solution,I searched on Bing and YouTube)

Did you check the display settings (on the PC) it treats the TV as an auxiliary monitor.
or You may need drivers for your video card ...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss