Bank of America actively blocking WP from mobile website?

stevebor1

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
First they pull the app and then say we could continue using the mobile site, now today, they are actively denying access to login via the mobile website.

I've tried on my 1520 and 1020 with 8.1. tried logging in multiple times (I think it goes through, but then get kicked out) then my bank accounts got locked.
I then tried on my 520 running 10 preview and I get redirected to the desktop version of the website.

seriously. What the hell is up? The mobile site used to work!

direct link bankofamerica.com/mobile/banking.go

edit: actively blocking = activity failing to support ie on windows phone.

Last edited:

WinU

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
re:

Oh I am ticked! Took me 20 minutes to try to sign in and I actually had to use the FULL website. It sucks! Not happy. Will have to consider changing banks even though it's a huge pain!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

I am ever so happy I switched to Ally.

All in electronically. I can mobile deposit from my WP App or upload a jpg of check front and back to my PC and deposit in my browser. Interest on checking. 100 free checks. ATM fee reimbursement. Look into Ally, BoA users.

Tell those BoA bums exactly why you are leaving. I did. I hope it costs them way more accounts than they calculated and the executive that got a bonus for messing us over gets called on the carpet and fired without a golden parachute.

wpfan86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
re:

I am ever so happy I switched to Ally.

All in electronically. I can mobile deposit from my WP App or upload a jpg of check front and back to my PC and deposit in my browser. Interest on checking. 100 free checks. ATM fee reimbursement. Look into Ally, BoA users.

Tell those BoA bums exactly why you are leaving. I did. I hope it costs them way more accounts than they calculated and the executive that got a bonus for messing us over gets called on the carpet and fired without a golden parachute.
How is the Ally app? Any issues?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
re:

Ally actually let's you make "check image" deposits from a desktop PC web browser? Never heard of that one. Most require an app for Android or iPhone to do that.

To me, that's a game changer right there. I do all my banking on my laptop, and if I had several checks to deposit, it would be more convenient to feed them into my double-sided scanner, where it flips them to scan both sides automatically.

I'm going to have to check that out. Right now, though, all my deposits are direct, and it is rare to need to deposit a check except around Christmas when grandparents and such send money instead of gifts. Probably only get about 2 or 3 paper checks per year that need depositing, and those are usually $10 or less, and I'm not exactly in a hurry over them. Still, they all come at the same time, and depositing them via browser would save a special trip to the bank for a $15-$20 deposit. Not worth the trip into town as far out as I live.

Time to research Ally.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

Oh... By the way...

I also let BoA know that I am very active on the largest Windows community site in the world and would be sure to advocate that others stop supporting BoA as BoA no longer supports our community.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
re:

Just one little niggle... And it is not a deal breaker for me.

Mobile deposit does not show in account as pending. You don't see it till it posts. Ally clears checks fast in my experience.

That's not even a niggle for me. However, there is one deal breaker. Sometimes I do some consulting work for cash. Can't deposit cash to Ally. Something I didn't think about before.

I like the fee schedule with Ally. Fees are lower than at pretty much every bank I've looked at over the years. I like the bank I'm with now, and they have great customer service, just no Windows Phone app. My wife is happy, and she generally does most all the banking. She doesn't use a Windows Phone, so she's happy. She refuses to use a smart phone, period. I'm not sure I know anyone besides her who is in their young 30's and refuses to use a smart phone. I'm 50, and I love using my Windows Phone.

Ah, well. Guess I'll stay put for now.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

...Can't deposit cash to Ally. Something I didn't think about before....

Interesting and not an issue I'd thought of. (I generally don't get handed more cash than I'd just keep to have on hand...)

Thank you for bringing this up. Here is what Ally advises:

Capture.JPG

stevebor1

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
re:

I just spoke to a rep and she confirmed that as of 3/10 the discontinue mobile web access for Windows Phone. So yes, they are blocking WP users.
She elevated an issue for me, but you know how that goes. I think I am off to Ally, all 5 accounts.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
re:

Well you have two options, switch banks or switch platforms.

I know which I would rather do, switch banks as if a bank goes out of it's way to penalize it's customers & hide behind it's TOS &/or prohibit service then it does not bode well at all.

That is precisely what I am doing - switching to Natwest (unrelated matter :grincry:) as they have a decent app and the chances of them supporting mobile payments for windows phone is greater compared to some other banks.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
re:

Here is part of my letter to BoA.
Goodbye Bank of America

Dear BoA you are not in the business of popularity you are in the business to serve your costumers. Please do not give me the excuse that keeping that app and IE access through my Windows phone/tablets is expensive; you are one of the wealthier institutions in the world. If you were a small or student developer I might gave you a pass but you are not.

Shame of you BoA, after all what you did to us financially we kind of forgave you and gave you that chance again, and this how you pay to those loyal customers. Abandon them in the blank; leaving without a good explanation of why. Shame of you.

Starting today March 12, 2015 will be the last week my name and your institution will be related in any kind of business.

Goodbye BoA and again, shame of you, shame of you.
Attn: Jorge Medina.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...-goodbye-letter-bank-america.html#post3022505
https://twitter.com/Dominican2911/status/576020403883106304

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
re:

Please do not give me the excuse that keeping that app and IE access through my Windows phone/tablets is expensive; you are one of the wealthier institutions in the world. If you were a small or student developer I might gave you a pass but you are not.

I understand where you're coming from, except for this. BoA being wealthy makes no difference.

Look at it this way: you specifically said that you might give a pass to a small or student developer who decides not to provide a WP because it's expensive. If the ROI isn't there for a small developer, it won't be there for a big wealthy developer either, all else being equal. Why should BoA having the money to do it obligate them to do it if it won't pay? I'm quite certain that if it would pay, BoA would maintain the app.

The other thing to consider is the reason that big name developers are avoiding WP, or even dropping what support they do have. Is there a reason? I can understand someone like Snapchat whose CEO made it quite clear that he doesn't like WP, but they're not the only ones dropping support. I doubt that the decision makers at all of the companies dropping WP support have the same attitude. The decision is more than likely a purely financial one for most of them.

Consider this: maybe the problem is somewhere else.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
re:

I understand where you're coming from, except for this. BoA being wealthy makes no difference.

Look at it this way: you specifically said that you might give a pass to a small or student developer who decides not to provide a WP because it's expensive. If the ROI isn't there for a small developer, it won't be there for a big wealthy developer either, all else being equal. Why should BoA having the money to do it obligate them to do it if it won't pay?
Because in the case of BoA we are paying for services. I do not care if Snapchap or anything alike doesn't come I am not spending a penny on them. On the other hand I am a paying costumer of BoA and if they cannot give me what I deserve as a such I just move on. "Expensive" is a round term. What is expensive for one person is not for other. For example: I may not have $5000, or $1000 grands to develop for more than one platform as a small or student developer but no the case for BoA.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
re:

Because in the case of BoA we are paying for services.

It's your choice (obviously). Is BoA obligated to provide you with an app? Actually, they have 2 apps available. It's you who is choosing to not be able to use one of them.

For example: I may not have $5000, or $1000 grands to develop for more than one platform as a small or student developer but no the case for BoA.

If you don't have $5,000 to develop an app but thought you could make a profit by doing it, you would borrow the money. The only difference with BoA is that they don't have to borrow the money.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
re:

It's your choice (obviously). Is BoA obligated to provide you with an app? Actually, they have 2 apps available. It's you who is choosing to not be able to use one of them..
Yes, the costumer is always right. I am paying for their services.
If you don't have $5,000 to develop an app but thought you could make a profit by doing it, you would borrow the money. The only difference with BoA is that they don't have to borrow the money
Exactly, they have the money. One of the excuse when first announced was the expenses of maintaining the app. Although, they said it once they never repeated it because it just did not make sense.

Stiv X

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
re:

It is one thing to stop supporting your app. It is another to pull it out of marketplace and actively block web traffic. This is not negligence. This is calculated! For this reason, they should be boycotted. Such a bonehead management decision should NOT be easily (if ever) forgiven. I will continue to use USAA, but also promote Ally bank and Wells Fargo for their WP support. They understand customer outreach.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12