What's the purpose of OSes which doesn't have their own ecosystem?

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Don't take me wrong...i get it people want apps and apps are very much a critical factor..i have noticed that now a no of oses use android runtime, sailfish Jolla,bb10 . Thing is it sure as hell won't run as well as on Android just coz it was written for Android... and it will be totally out of sync with general design language of os.. Doesn't it make these oses just glorified launchers? If u want android apps why not get a flagship android when it cost almost same as a blackberry flagship?
Is there really an advantage other than having an inferior experience and being unique for sake of it?
As far as I know u can have almost any ui by means of launchers and better app by getting a good android phone...

plot_almighty

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
First, what point are you trying to make? That Androids are superior to Blackberry's just because of the number of apps? That Blackberry isn't great because it doesn't have an ecosystem to match the top three OS'?

Second, the benefit(s) of having a Blackberry over an Android, the argument im assuming you're attempting to make, is:

1: Physical keyboard
2: Dual app stores to choose from
3: Smaller form factors (yes this still matters to quite a few people)
4: Superior security (you can't convince anyone Android is more secure)

Not getting into personal preference. Some people do prefer Blackberry to any other OS or brand on the market, and I can't blame them. The sister site to Windows Central, Crackberry, has rightly earned its name.

Also, much as I feel its outside your current view, some people, myself among them, just plain don't like Android.

If they can get the apps they need on the OS they like, then no, the phone is not a glorified app launcher, its a more versatile device that does what the user wants and/or needs.

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Well sorry if I came off in the wrong way... Wasn't meaning it as an insult...
To put it simply what is the advantage of using android run time on another OS when u can get a better experience in android, other than the interface it provides?
And I don't mean blackberry alone as I also mentioned sailfish
And dude no need to be so condescending

Nokia5110

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
You choose what you want as opposed to having 20+ apps that you may never use or remove. Used a bit of CyanogenMOD and use it instead of Google Android with all the twitters, dropbox, g+, Google now, etc.

amitnahar

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I use Jolla and there are a lot of reasons to consider it. Ofcourse there are not a lot of apps. Infact there are around 1K apps in store.
The main advantages are:
1. Real Multitasking
2. Open source (Android is not open source, it still have all Google apps)
3. Inbuilt Social Networks integration so you don't need apps.
4. Gesture based system so it can be handled with one hand.
5. Design is awesome.
6. Its fluid. Even faster than WP.
7. You can have super clean experience. You can even delete default apps like calculator, camera, calendar etc.
7. You can customise it to your preference. (Like Regedit in Windows)
8. OS is light and not as resource hungry as Android.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I use Jolla and there are a lot of reasons to consider it. Ofcourse there are not a lot of apps. Infact there are around 1K apps in store.
2. Open source (Android is not open source, it still have all Google apps)

Jolla is not open source.

Don't take me wrong...i get it people want apps and apps are very much a critical factor..i have noticed that now a no of oses use android runtime, sailfish Jolla,bb10 . Thing is it sure as hell won't run as well as on Android just coz it was written for Android... and it will be totally out of sync with general design language of os.. Doesn't it make these oses just glorified launchers? If u want android apps why not get a flagship android when it cost almost same as a blackberry flagship?
Is there really an advantage other than having an inferior experience and being unique for sake of it?
As far as I know u can have almost any ui by means of launchers and better app by getting a good android phone...

The smartphone market is so huge, there is space for small players offering distinctive features on the OS that can't be implemented as Android modifications. Although, don't expect any of these OS/launchers to sell many units, they don't add much value for the general public.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I think it's something of a misconception to say that the market can only tolerate 2 or 3 smartphone platforms. Especially with Apple and Android playing to their advantages and touting the number of apps, the keystone of "ecosystem". Especially by harnessing HTML5, smaller players like Ubuntu, Firefox, Jolla, etc will be able to offer interesting smartphones. They may never seriously dig into Android's market share, but each of them have their own yardstick for success, so they may not need to.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

As a BB10 owner, I will explain why I chose BB10

BB Hub

All of the communication methods, email, facebook, messaging apps, text, etc are done INSIDE the Hub, meaning you do not have to open separate messaging apps, and then close it after you are done. This is unique to BlackBerry since notification centres on IOS, Windows Phone, or Android simply provide shortcuts to open a separate app.

Apps are important but core communication (Email management, texts, messaging, calendar management, etc) take the priority for BlackBerry users. Other OSes can do these as well, but BlackBerry does the communication the best.

Also, have you ever used an Android app on the new BlackBerry 10.3.1 OS before?
I doubt you have because it actually works quite well.
I have a full Google play store client available on my BlackBerry using Snap Snap for BlackBerry 10 offers quick Android APK downloads | CrackBerry.com

I use Android apps for my Bank, as well as for accessing Wordpress. And there is no noticeable lag of any kind with full functionality. It is true that I would prefer if they were designed for BlackBerry natively, but Android app compatibility is nice and usable as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre