Hating on Core M

Easy-G

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I think OEMs are freaking when it comes to how they design and price devices with Core M processors. IMHO, Core M should be in mid-range 2-in-1 devices and/or tablets. $700-$800 for modest performance and sleek design. The only Core M devices I've seen announced (I assume there are others that are not getting attention) are the Yoga Pro 3 (an overpriced, underpowered flop according to critics) and the new MacBook (an overpriced, underpowered flop according to critics).

My guess is that OEMs were looking to milk Core M for what it was worth before the rest of the 5th gen Intel processors hit the market. Benchmarks will let us know as more Core i3 and M devices enter the market, but I'm willing to bet that a 5th gen Core i3 has a comparable performance : watt : dollar ratio to the Core M.

I know the point has been beaten to death by others besides me, but I can't see the value (other than saving a few mm in a fanless design) in Core M devices over even a 4th generation i3/i5 device like the Surface Pro 3.

Last edited by a moderator:

Draconica5

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
I know the point has been beaten to death by others besides me, but I can't see the value (other than saving a few mm in a fanless design) in Core M devices over even a 4th generation i3/i5 device like the Surface Pro 3.

You forgot the "low power consuming" part of Core M. Surface Pro 4 will still have Core i, I hope...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goergtalk