How to choose a Windows phone?

scavira

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
I am very new to this forum. So if this is not the right place to post this question, please point me to the right place to post it.

I have been using Nexus 4 for about two years. Though I love it, it is almost unusable due to battery issues.

I would like to buy a windows phone as my next primary phone. I bought my father a Lumia 535 a few months back and he loves it. The reason I bought it is that it fit my budget.

I am from India and there are too many Lumia models out there in the Indian market that it is confusing which one to buy.

Let me try to explain my typical usage.

My major uses of smartphone are Email (work email + Gmail), messaging (Whatsapp + Skype) , lots and lots of browsing, heavy use of location services, and camera related apps. I also want smart reminders for all my stuff. I do not play high graphics games. Even if I do play games, it is simple arcade games or puzzle games especially those without IAPs.
And being a Nexus 4 user for this long, I am definitely a heavy user of all Google applications. But I am ready to let go of those.

So with these points in mind, please either suggest a good windows phone or guide me on how to choose one.
I am ready to wait for 2-3 more months if any better phone is going to be released.

EDIT1: Expandable memory is a absolute necessity for me.
My budget is around INR 20,000/ USD 315/unless there would be a significant capability increase in the productivity apps category (work email, calendar, collaboration) if I increase my budget a little. I do not know all the options available in terms of models in India. But I do know it's a lot.
For camera, I am satisfied with a good 5MP on both front and back with added bonus of low light capability if possible.
I would want atleast 1GB of RAM.
A screen size of anything between 4.5 inches to 6 inches would be fine for me.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Last edited:

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I would ask for a couple of extra qualifiers, which mostly would be along the lines of budget vs "camera apps" Most any windows phone can handle the stuff you listed. Of course, higher performance and better camera is going to raise the price level, and would point you towards budget, midrange, or high end devices, that might help the experts here help you better to narrow the field. Finally, screen size would point you as well.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Hard for us to know what devices are available in your market. Go to Microsoft's website and narrow it down by what's important to you. Camera quality, is expandable storage important to you? Screen size? GB of RAM? I know, all very personal decisions.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For those core uses, most any Lumia will suffice.

But good, those additional details will help.

Now, I don't know for sure what's available over there in India, but here's some that come to mind.

Lumia 730, 735 (730 is dual-SIM, 735 has LTE and wireless charging)
Lumia 830
Lumia 1520 (if you have no problems with used, it can fit in the budget most likely)
Maybe the 636, 638 (same deal as 730 - 636 is dual-SIM, 638 i think has LTE) if you don't mind its mediocre rear shooter.

You could potentially find a good deal in the Lumia 820, but I'd look at the newer offering first.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos