Do we really need a lock screen?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What if the power button was accidentally pressed in a pocket? The main goal is some privacy, security perhaps, and reducing pocket dialing which I believe is the primary goal.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Yep, haven't used a lockscreen on any phone for years.
Waste of time really. But I appreciate some people may enjoy spending hours per week unlocking their device.

wpfan86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Because if my kid picks up my phone I don't want him to be able to immediately have access to my stuff out be able to change my settings. Because if my phone is stolen I don't want the thief to have access to all my personal information. Need I go on?
I get that others may not be worried about any of those things, but it is not difficult to understand why a lock screen option exists.
Not to sound mean, but this was a really dumb question.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
If this is referring to a phones lock screen I agree I'd rather not have it via options.
I say double tap right to the startscreen.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Because if my kid picks up my phone I don't want him to be able to immediately have access to my stuff out be able to change my settings. Because if my phone is stolen I don't want the thief to have access to all my personal information. Need I go on?
I get that others may not be worried about any of those things, but it is not difficult to understand why a lock screen option exists.
Not to sound mean, but this was a really dumb question.
It's not a dumb question just because you disagree with it.​

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Another thing to consider is "App Locks".
I understand the kids are all over them these days.
But to me, the idea of having some sort of method to unlock a device then another one to open an app is overly burdensome.
I'm sure the folks who are worried about it will love having the extra layer of security. I expect to see more apps with it.​

CapoFantasma97

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
How do you get a quick sight on the time?
The lock screen has essential infos for a single, rapid glance.
And yeah, security and pocket dialing.
And I don't need to always put the pin.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
On a similar note, I've realized Glance is somewhat of a replacement - maybe if they made a blackberry-esque unlock swipe from glance or a double-tap it'll be cool.

I've handed plenty of people my phone, only for then do swipe at the glance screen.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
For those that want device security, have the option of a lock screen with password, but I only really use passwords on specific apps (banking, Ect ), and I use passwords on them even if I have a lock screen. As for time display, the stock alarm clock app could be set up to display time. For me personally, the lock screen is an unnecessary step every time I use the phone, I'd at least like the option to get rid if it.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
You can already. Just don't set a Device PIN.

I don't have a password set, but I still have to swipe it away every time I use the phone. One of the things I liked about BlackBerry's design philosophy was reducing steps to do basic functions, why not apply it to WP?

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Everyone should have a PIN set. This is the very basic level of personalization, security and privacy. If not, sooner or later, you will wish you had. If you disagree, research it.

Best Wishes

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I could see with a fingerprint reader to light up the screen directly to the start screen. But the lock screen is the gatekeeper of your phone. And I don't use glance, I leave my phone on my desk and just double-tap it occasionally to see any new notifications. I like that feature.

Spencer Carriveau

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
If you would like an option to disable a lockscreen altogether, you should run the technical preview and suggest it in the feedback app. If it gets enough upvotes Microsoft may implement the feature. They have been implementing many different things at the request of insiders.

Eric Gisin

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Most versions of Android can power up to desktop. My tablet was set up like that, so is my phone unless I'm travelling. I put phone/messages into a folder to prevent dialing by accident. Why should WinP be different?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)