Google Trolling WP Users?

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I was setting up my L640 the other day and when I needed to add my GMail account, I needed to authorize the new device. After I entered my credentials, it identified my phone as Android. Really, Google?

Anyways, here's the email alert I received.

Android.JPG

Attachments

• Android.JPG
    Android.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 19

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Yes. No. But it actually yes. The reason behind this is that IE uses Android Browser user agent so that Google's authentication page would work as intended, and the reason for why it wouldn't work in the first place if IE doesn't spoof itself is, Google's webpage (intentionally?) doesn't fully support IE.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes. No. But it actually yes. The reason behind this is that IE uses Android Browser user agent so that Google's authentication page would work as intended, and the reason for why it wouldn't work in the first place if IE doesn't spoof itself is, Google's webpage (intentionally?) doesn't fully support IE.

Ah yes, I remember some of that now. Because, Google. Never ending Scroogled.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
That actually makes sense. I figured it was just the popular mindset of mobile device that's not Apple must be Android.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Also, did you notice that if you do Google Image Search on IE on Windows Phone, the image preview resolution is really low and blurry?

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Yea, that's totally it, its not possible that licensing is an issue or anything.

Yep. A tech giant company like MS can get license in US but not in other countries. May be USA licensing rules and regulation are too lenient compare to others.
I wonder if other MS services are also subject to licensing or not.
If yes then how others services are available in other countries?

May be rest of world have banned bing rewards. That is why it not available outside USA.

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I hate google. Only service of theirs I use is YouTube. Wish they never bought that the world doesn't need google. Improve bing outside of the US and we are sorted.

winboy

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Why use Gmail when one uses a win phone? When I switched to win phone I stopped using google and anything related to google.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yep. A tech giant company like MS can get license in US but not in other countries. May be USA licensing rules and regulation are too lenient compare to others.

May be rest of world have banned bing rewards. That is why it not available outside USA.

Well, let's look at it from another perspective that can complicate things. If you were to redeem your rewards for say Pizza Hut, you might not have a Pizza Hut where you're at. If you do, maybe there's some legality with this kind of redemption. Tax issue perhaps? We don't know. Go get your friends to all demand for it and maybe it'll come :wink:

Why use Gmail when one uses a win phone? When I switched to win phone I stopped using google and anything related to google.

I started to, but the data migration was screwy. Fields did not match correctly in some cases and it was kind of nightmarish to try to clean it up. Meanwhile, I'll be doing it soon in the future by this tip I picked up somewhere. Maybe it'll be useful to someone else here:

To migrate your data from Google, don't just export and import to Outlook.com. Rather, import to Outlook the desktop program. From there, you can make any changes, or mass delete contacts that were not mapped correctly. Then when it's all good, import that to Outlook.com. Cheers.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

You dont make any sense. Maybe you aren't but many people are tied to one (some) email address(es) (work, personal etc.)

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

Not everything is as black and white like most of these forums seem to think..

Those rewards rely on deals made with other companies.... did you think those rewards were free..? Microsoft has to work out deals with each and every company that has a reward listed, considering Microsoft IS a US company, its pretty obvious it would be easier to make deals with other us companies. also, do you think those deals are cheap? if Microsoft has to make deals for each country with different companies the cost of that will very quickly become un manageable.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Not everything is as black and white like most of these forums seem to think..

Those rewards rely on deals made with other companies.... did you think those rewards were free..? Microsoft has to work out deals with each and every company that has a reward listed, considering Microsoft IS a US company, its pretty obvious it would be easier to make deals with other us companies. also, do you think those deals are cheap? if Microsoft has to make deals for each country with different companies the cost of that will very quickly become un manageable.

then why not MS link rewards with their own services. Like some free one drive space, discount on purchasing WP phone and Windows pack etc.
There are tons of way they can introduce reward in other countries. They have their own services to reward. At the end of the day it's all about intentions and priority and it doesn't look like MS have any for rest of the world.

Back to topic
What is the purpose of this thread.
I don't see any reason why OP bring this. I get all the time this message whenever I tried to excess my mail from unusual device. I get this message even when i use Chrome(not just WP or IE). It's just a security measure that Google implemented.

Don't know why users are insulting Google on this.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
then why not MS link rewards with their own services. Like some free one drive space, discount on purchasing WP phone and Windows pack etc.
There are tons of way they can introduce reward in other countries. They have their own services to reward. At the end of the day it's all about intentions and priority and it doesn't look like MS have any for rest of the world.

Back to topic
What is the purpose of this thread.
I don't see any reason why OP bring this. I get all the time this message whenever I tried to excess my mail from unusual device. I get this message even when i use Chrome(not just WP or IE). It's just a security measure that Google implemented.

Don't know why users are insulting Google on this.

Well, if you bothered reading the original post, and not just looking at the images, you'd see that the point is that the OP's windows phone was being seen as an android device, and they were curious as of why. The google "insults" come from the very true fact that google (and many other websites)DO purposely redirect any browser using an Internet Explorer user string to a crappy un-usable page using the old IE6 standards.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Well, if you bothered reading the original post, and not just looking at the images, you'd see that the point is that the OP's windows phone was being seen as an android device, and they were curious as of why. The google "insults" come from the very true fact that google (and many other websites)DO purposely redirect any browser using an Internet Explorer user string to a crappy un-usable page using the old IE6 standards.

Isn't MS is responsible for showing Android device . MS made it that way.
Don't know why they blaming Google for that.
I wonder if Mozilla OS and sailfish OS faces same issue or it just WP.
Have you ever bother to see other side of coin.

For you info IE of WP isn't a good browser. It lack many thingsand feature. It more act like an acient browser like it was before 2007-08.
It's not just Google websites. Many other websites do behave like that.
Thanks to IE I am not able to participate any online contest through phone because it doesn't able to load website properly and crashes almost every website.(including WC own website)

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Isn't MS is responsible for showing Android device . MS made it that way.
Don't know why they blaming Google for that.
I wonder if Mozilla OS and sailfish OS faces same issue or it just WP.
Have you ever bother to see other side of coin.

For you info IE of WP isn't a good browser. It lack many thingsand feature. It more act like an acient browser like it was before 2007-08.
Thanks to IE I am not able to participate any online contest through phone because it doesn't able to load website properly and crashes almost every website.(including WC own website)

No, Microsoft has nothing to do with android, no idea what you are getting at there. IE for WP 8.1 is pretty good, I've only ran into one website that had issues with it. Before Microsoft changed the user string to an android one, the browser barely rendered any sites correctly because the sites all pulled up an ie6 compatible webpage.

Again, read the post before trying to argue with someone =/
The google "insults" come from the very true fact that google (and many other websites)DO purposely redirect any browser using an Internet Explorer user string to a crappy un-usable page using the old IE6 standards.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
No, Microsoft has nothing to do with android, no idea what you are getting at there. IE for WP 8.1 is pretty good, I've only ran into one website that had issues with it. Before Microsoft changed the user string to an android one, the browser barely rendered any sites correctly because the sites all pulled up an ie6 compatible webpage.

Again, read the post before trying to argue with someone =/

Actually, you have read my comment again before post.

Let me make it more clear
First do you know that IE for WP uses iOS7 and Android 4.0 as its user agent to get full HTML5 features. It means IE can fool websites. As website think WP as Android or iOS device.
Which already been said by noersetiawan. But I think you haven't read that.

Now tell he how can this make Google a troll as OP is suggesting and you are are supporting.

and now the second part
If Google and many other websites do that. Doesn't that means there is problem in IE not the other websites as IE uses different user agent and websites think this as Android and iOS device yet website do not work properly.
It clearly means that problem is in IE not websites and it's actually MS fault not to build a good browser.
Example: wp_ss_20150713_0001.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12