IOS Adventures with a Lumia ******: MIcrosoft apps on IOS are not better IMO....

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So I wanted to share my thoughts/opinions....

A common complaint is that Microsoft releases better versions of their apps on IOS/Android. I decided to see if I could get a truly better experience with Microsoft services using an iPhone which I have been using the last 2-3 weeks.

What I've noticed that yes there are some notable improvements such as speed but just as they are better in some areas they are also weaker.

I haven't tried all the other apps just yet but so far Skype and Xbox Music...left me lukewarm(Skype) and positively disgusted(Xbox Music).

1. Skype
Skype for IOS and Windows phone look similar in many ways. I do think the IOS design is a bit more modern looking(go figure) however I noticed one thing that made me aggravated with the IOS app.

I was talking to my BF via Skype...no problem. Worked nicely...until I got a phone call on my actual phone line. It was my mother....I didn't want to talk at the time so I was going to ignore it.(Bad son I know lol)

On Windows phone, if someone calls in it treats the call like a normal call and it beeps in and you can ignore it or continue on with your conversation.

On Ios, however, it literally forcefully puts my Skype call on hold to notify me of the actual call. It puts the call on hold without me being able to tell my BF "hey hold on I have a beep..." It just automatically puts them on hold.

I didn't want to hit ignore(Because she'd know I was ignoring her lol) so I had to wait 30 seconds for the call to end and then go back to the Skype call...which got annoying when she kept calling :p

Then when I have to go back to the call...on Windows Phone the call automatically just resumes when you hang up or whatever....on IOS, I had to go BACK into the Skype app and then figure out how to remove my BF from old(it's not as obvious as it is on the windows phone version).

It lacks integration...it may be faster but it also lacks the integration and it's JUST another app. I think I am beginning to see the reasoning behind the IOS/Android apps now. It's just another app on those platforms vs integrated cohesive experience on Windows.

2. Xbox Music

On Windows Phone, it can be a slow/sluggish sometime but what I love is that all your music is there that you upload to your phone's memory or an SD card or Onedrive.

That music is also available on any of the windows phone music player apps you download to use....with no issues of the music.(I think playlists might not sync though)

It's a visually appealing app. I like the design.

On IOS, the app is just ....boring looking for one....Usability is actually harder as it doesn't make use of navigation buttons nor a panorama/pivot to move around so you sort of have to figure out what they do and how they do it.

There is no way to select multiple songs...if I go to my collection and click a song to play, it plays that song but it won't continue on to the next one.

It's simply a music player...you can't buy music through this app.....So no Xbox music is not better on IOS. If anything it's speed improvements are mainly for the simple fact....it only does one thing and it does it in a very basic and unimaginative way.

In conclusion, sure you can get Microsoft apps on IOS/Android and sure they may very well have some additional features/improvements....but at least for me, it lacks one specific thing. Full integration and in that case, even anemic/watered down versions of the apps still have an advantage that the other versions won't have. Not all Microsoft apps are created equally...

I did a screen comparison of Xbox music on IOS, Xbox Music on Windows phone and of course iTunes/music on the iPhone....for all intents and purposes, the app is less of a unique app...it's a clone of iTunes with a slight redesign

pMy9iya.png

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried Office for iOS? If so, how do you like it?

I've noticed that Office for Android is much better than Office for WP8.1.

Have you tried OneDrive for iOS? Does it have requirements to use WiFi to upload full resolution camera pictures? OneDrive for Android has no WiFi requirements in order to upload full resolution camera pictures.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried Office for iOS? If so, how do you like it?

I've noticed that Office for Android is much better than Office for WP8.1.

Have you tried OneDrive for iOS? Does it have requirements to use WiFi to upload full resolution camera pictures? OneDrive for Android has no WiFi requirements in order to upload full resolution camera pictures.

I haven't actually noticed any restrictions like that on the IOS version...I will however note that streaming a video from Onedrive is a lesser experience because I shoot in 1080P and it is lower resolution since the nearly 700 dollars iPhone 6 apparently is not 1080P vs on a higher end windows phone.

Overall in the case of onedrive they do seem pretty much adequately on par except IOS lacks that integration....I take a ton of selfies lol and if I want to utilize my onedrive storage on my phone I can do that easily as the albums are right there in my photo gallery with my lumia, as you know.

On IOS, I have to go into the app, then download the picture into my actual photo gallery before I can then do whatever I need with it.

But for the most part they are on par with each other.

Another annoyance is that by default background uploading was turning off so I was annoyed when I got errors about it not uploading and I realized it only uploaded while I was in the app...I found the setting to turn background uploading on though.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Office on WP8.1 is integrated into OS. The universal Office app on Windows 10 mobile is much better. Not sure about Onedrive on W10M.

I'll probably upgrade again on my 640 xl to win 10.

I don't use office on iOS or windows phone though considering the windows phone version is dated and now being replaced by the new 10 version id expect it to be better on iOS so no point in me comparing that at the moment, ya know

sent from my iPhone...asking myself why I own one

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I haven't actually noticed any restrictions like that on the IOS version...I will however note that streaming a video from Onedrive is a lesser experience because I shoot in 1080P and it is lower resolution since the nearly 700 dollars iPhone 6 apparently is not 1080P vs on a higher end windows phone.

Overall in the case of onedrive they do seem pretty much adequately on par except IOS lacks that integration....I take a ton of selfies lol and if I want to utilize my onedrive storage on my phone I can do that easily as the albums are right there in my photo gallery with my lumia, as you know.

On IOS, I have to go into the app, then download the picture into my actual photo gallery before I can then do whatever I need with it.

But for the most part they are on par with each other.

Another annoyance is that by default background uploading was turning off so I was annoyed when I got errors about it not uploading and I realized it only uploaded while I was in the app...I found the setting to turn background uploading on though.
I don't have to open OneDrive for Android. I have my pictures automatically upload using the settings of the OneDrive app.

Screenshot_2015-07-24-01-40-45.png

Screenshot_2015-07-24-01-40-54.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven