"Get a real phone" the waiter said

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I always try to start a conversation when people say "Windows Phone Sucks".

I'm always open to a healthy debate.

"Well, why does It suck?"

Typically you get a responses like:

" ..............."
or
" It just sucks"
or
"It's just ****!"
or
"it has no apps"

I would love to see what is going to be the excuse when Windows 10 launches and apps begin coming to Windows Platform.

Honestly, the app excuse is a bit drawn out now.

Majority of apps used on phones are Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp, Instagram, Messger. And we have those.

And lets be honest. People don't buy phones because it has "apps" they buy phones because of what Is cool.

Example. Tell anyone that you can get the exact, same apps on a Blu Android as you do on a Samsung S6 and you know what they will buy? The s6 of course. Even though it is like triple the price. Why? Because it's "cool"

A friend asked my opinion if she should get the s6. I told her no, you should buy the One plus. It's a much better phone and it's like half the price. Her response was " I don't know what that is." Couple days later she told me she bought the s6.

It's all about a Brand. It has nothing to do with apps. If it did, Samsung would not be the most popular android phone.

atkichra

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Well I be real with you. I have a 640 and its a great phone I've grown to like it alot. The battery life is great and the camera is good enough. People love the orange back I ordered of eBay. But when people check out my phone or ask me about I ask them these things. Do you game alot, do you use snap chat. If so then WP isn't for you. I have an s5 and untill WP gets games like clash of clans and snap chat boom beach and some if the other games I'll use my s5 as my daily driver. The app gap is still real and when WP does get those apps or games they are lacking features that are on the other OS.

Sergiusz Jasper

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
Well I be real with you. I have a 640 and its a great phone I've grown to like it alot. The battery life is great and the camera is good enough. People love the orange back I ordered of eBay. But when people check out my phone or ask me about I ask them these things. Do you game alot, do you use snap chat. If so then WP isn't for you. I have an s5 and untill WP gets games like clash of clans and snap chat boom beach and some if the other games I'll use my s5 as my daily driver. The app gap is still real and when WP does get those apps or games they are lacking features that are on the other OS.
Reason I went back to android was lack of apps mainly bank apps was the deal breaker.
Though I do love windows interface and miss it but till there is a strong app progress and support I'll be on the sidelines.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
The waiter is not professional and respectful. He should better say "We are sorry that we don't support Windows Phone currently."

I have similar situation where one of my favourite restaurants does not offer app for Windows Phone.

I won't turn to Apple/Android just to save 10% for my meal.

wrm1

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I remember hearing things like this when I had my T-mobile G1. Android users today seem to forget, as they quickly write off windows, that all of the arguments and write-ups about app gap and death in the face of iOS were written for them almost verbatim. And now look. A huge market. Windows will grow as people tire of the other two options and the app gap will close as we go further and we see universal apps and an easier development environment. Hopefully we will remember history better than the guys with the robots and fruit in their pockets.

SUCKITUPBUTTERCUP

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Reason I went back to android was lack of apps mainly bank apps was the deal breaker.
Though I do love windows interface and miss it but till there is a strong app progress and support I'll be on the sidelines.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

surprisingly, even dell IBM etc....etc... Still do not have apps for windows phone. If they do , they are not updating them like they do for IPhone and Android.

You have to admit though, Microsoft OS W10 has so much more potential than the others. Hands down the best structured interface now, with universal across all 3 platforms....😉

Kunal Dudwadkar

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
The mentality of people about Windows phones should change. There are a lot of people who laugh when they see us using a WP. Some are plain ignorant. One of my friend's dad got a Lumia from his office and she called me over asking me to explain the phone to her dad. I asked her to tell me where she was having problems. And she said, i don't know, the phone is still in the box, it's so hard to use. :| I was like, without trying? and she said Yeah, i don't like Microsoft phones, its very hard ! I didn't bother explaining, but her dad seems to use it with great ease now :p

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
It's going to happen. But yeah all my buddies carry either iPhones or androids but they have come to understand that " your phone takes the best pictures and doesn't lock up like androids" they have started to actually respect the phone at least they do make fun of the app count and app availability but its ok . When they have Xbox or ms question ....more and more they've started asking me!

mon_Wentworth

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Her dad seems to use it with great ease now :p
I bought a Lumia 520 for my dad (now he's got a 925) and he got up and running with windows phone in no time. Before the 520 he had a crappy galaxy Y phone and was always complaining/asking about everything. So, yeah, windows phone is actually better than android for older people.
The thing with the app gap, I suppose it would have to do with Microsoft making sweet deals with developers, at least in the short term. Developers are not coding for WIndows 8.1 (PC) and they are not gonna code for Windows 10 (even though is one app for all platforms) unless they receive a little incentive from Microsoft.
I hope I'm dead wrong and one year from now we have all the apps we deserve.
Cheers.

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I find a lot of places provide the perks through the website as well, and if they don't, I have to really like their food, because I mostly eat places that give me free meals. :)
I have had people give me a hard time about my Windows phone, also with no specific reason, other than Microsoft. Then I showed them Cortana. Then they shut up.

Aldrich Uyliong

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
When someone tries to give me a hard time for having a Windows Phone I simply retort, "Android is for poor people who cannot afford Apple and Apple is for social climbers. Windows Phone is for the rest of us with enough self-respect to be neither." It shuts them right the hell up.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
When someone tries to give me a hard time for having a Windows Phone I simply retort, "Android is for poor people who cannot afford Apple and Apple is for social climbers. Windows Phone is for the rest of us with enough self-respect to be neither." It shuts them right the hell up.

Poor people who buy a lot pricier Android flagships.. Maybe in the masses, yet more flagships than Windows Phone ever sold. So.. Yeah.. For me I just like Windows phone for unknown reasons that I always come back to. Sometimes it feels like I like to torque my self lol, well when It comes to apps.. ?_? @ W10 save us.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Shoulda said "hang on, I'll just use the mobile site" and navigated to their website. If the mobile site isn't available, you should've said "y'all need to get yourselves a REAL developer!"

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
It's going to happen. But yeah all my buddies carry either iPhones or androids but they have come to understand that " your phone takes the best pictures and doesn't lock up like androids" they have started to actually respect the phone at least they do make fun of the app count and app availability but its ok . When they have Xbox or ms question ....more and more they've started asking me!

True story.... 3 years ago I found Central and began my wait for the 920. Girl at work (iphone 4) mentioned getting a new phone and I told her all about the 920. She hadn't even heard of Android!

Earlier this year we met up after not seeing her for a year. We talked phones and the first thing she said "oh, yours is that phone with the amazing camera". I felt so proud.

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Shoulda said "hang on, I'll just use the mobile site" and navigated to their website. If the mobile site isn't available, you should've said "y'all need to get yourselves a REAL developer!"

I like this. Lots of people who like to eat out don't have smartphones at all. I appreciate the places who acknowledge that (Schlotzsky's comes to mind). I want to see that kid smart mouth a middle aged adult with a flip phone and tell them to get a real phone. My parents did get smartphones a couple years ago, but I guarantee if that kid had said that to my dad, he'd be thinking twice the next time.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I always try to start a conversation when people say "Windows Phone Sucks".

I'm always open to a healthy debate.

"Well, why does It suck?"

Typically you get a responses like:

" ..............."
or
" It just sucks"
or
"It's just ****!"
or
"it has no apps"

I would love to see what is going to be the excuse when Windows 10 launches and apps begin coming to Windows Platform.

Honestly, the app excuse is a bit drawn out now.

Majority of apps used on phones are Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp, Instagram, Messger. And we have those.

And lets be honest. People don't buy phones because it has "apps" they buy phones because of what Is cool.

Example. Tell anyone that you can get the exact, same apps on a Blu Android as you do on a Samsung S6 and you know what they will buy? The s6 of course. Even though it is like triple the price. Why? Because it's "cool"

A friend asked my opinion if she should get the s6. I told her no, you should buy the One plus. It's a much better phone and it's like half the price. Her response was " I don't know what that is." Couple days later she told me she bought the s6.

It's all about a Brand. It has nothing to do with apps. If it did, Samsung would not be the most popular android phone.

I would have totally pulled the hmmmm, maybe I will go to a real restaurant with a real waiter.

With all due respect, the app gap is real my friend. There are literally hundreds of productive apps that I could and have used on android that are not available on Windows phone.....YET. I hope that with the new system, We will get most every app on android as its a simple copy and paste situation now. I will always gravitate to the apps that were designed for Windows Phone as they have the unified look to them. However, when I can get more apps that I would use, I am very excited to see that!

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi everybody.
I just came back from one of my favorite chain restaurants (not gonna say the name).
As my friend and I arrive (both windows phone users), the waiter gave us the menus and then proceeded to explain to us their new promo.
"If you download our new app, next time you come, you'll have a 10? discount". She said.
At that moment I already knew they wouldn't have a Windows phone app, so I nodded and said: "Ok, thank you". I check the little pamphlet and confirmed the words "Play Store" and "iOS App Store". I check the windows phone store just in case, but "nada".
A while later another waiter comes and as he sees the little piece of paper he asks if we had the app. I said we couldn't get it because we used windows phone. He laughs and says: "Well, you need to get a real phone".

Is it bad that I wanted to punch him in the face? Has any of this kinda thing happen to any of you?

Would it be bad if I punched everyone that didn't own a WP?
I usually had an opposite reaction, Lumia 925 was a sexy phone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster