"Get a real phone" the waiter said

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would have totally pulled the hmmmm, maybe I will go to a real restaurant with a real waiter.

With all due respect, the app gap is real my friend. There are literally hundreds of productive apps that I could and have used on android that are not available on Windows phone.....YET. I hope that with the new system, We will get most every app on android as its a simple copy and paste situation now. I will always gravitate to the apps that were designed for Windows Phone as they have the unified look to them. However, when I can get more apps that I would use, I am very excited to see that!
Copy/Paste situation it is not. Takes work to port an app, Microsoft has made it slightly easier by adding popular API and revising their UI design (hamburger menus, fonts, icons, etc).

With the common design pattern in mind, best case scenario is the developer has minimal UI work to do.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Copy/Paste situation it is not. Takes work to port an app, Microsoft has made it slightly easier by adding popular API and revising their UI design (hamburger menus, fonts, icons, etc).

With the common design pattern in mind, best case scenario is the developer has minimal UI work to do.

Check the following quote from https://careers.microsoft.com/jobdetails.aspx?ss=&pg=0&so=&rw=1&jid=175396&jlang=EN&pp=SS
The Astoria bridge enables Android developers to publish their unchanged binary to run as they are on the Windows mobile platform.
An excerpt from a job posting at Microsoft.

So, copy and paste isn't even necessary. An Android developer can just upload their binary to run as it is. No UI tweaking, nothing. The Google Play services are converted to Microsoft services and you have an immediate, viable app. App gap will disappear quickly if developers take advantage of this "extremely easy" service. Only have to maintain the Android app and upload it to Microsoft Store.

Now... back on topic, concerning the waiter...
When that waiter say, "Get a real phone." Yeah, I would have immediately told that waiter, "Insulting your customers will have an adverse reaction on your tips. I'd suggest you behave more professionally. I'm out of here. I'm going to go find a REAL restaurant."

Why would I leave? Because after you put a waiter in their place, there are many that will tamper with your food before you receive it. I'm not taking that chance.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Being bitter about things tends to affect the taste of your food....

I'd just point out that not everyone wants to download apps or be enrolled in loyalty plans (of course those plans exist more to give money to the restaurant than offer you savings, that's why they're called "loyalty" plans).

But getting back to the point of the thread, it's basic apathy that results in Windows Phone apps not being created. Microsoft are (as quoted above) bending over backwards to make life easy, but can't really do much with the notion that Windows Phone isn't worth bothering with.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Check the following quote from https://careers.microsoft.com/jobdetails.aspx?ss=&pg=0&so=&rw=1&jid=175396&jlang=EN&pp=SS

An excerpt from a job posting at Microsoft.

So, copy and paste isn't even necessary. An Android developer can just upload their binary to run as it is. No UI tweaking, nothing. The Google Play services are converted to Microsoft services and you have an immediate, viable app. App gap will disappear quickly if developers take advantage of this "extremely easy" service. Only have to maintain the Android app and upload it to Microsoft Store.

Now... back on topic, concerning the waiter...
When that waiter say, "Get a real phone." Yeah, I would have immediately told that waiter, "Insulting your customers will have an adverse reaction on your tips. I'd suggest you behave more professionally. I'm out of here. I'm going to go find a REAL restaurant."

Why would I leave? Because after you put a waiter in their place, there are many that will tamper with your food before you receive it. I'm not taking that chance.

No that is not entirely accurate. Only basic apps would run without significant effort from the developer.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
No that is not entirely accurate. Only basic apps would run without significant effort from the developer.

That wasn't my theory, it is what is started by the Astoria team for a job opening. Read the whole posting.

Aldrich Uyliong

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Poor people who buy a lot pricier Android flagships.. Maybe in the masses, yet more flagships than Windows Phone ever sold..

In the situations I am describing what matters is not being correct. You will fail with a troll if you push for accurate/correct info. You have to fight a troll with harder trolling. To be clear, I only ever bring out my retort when I am dealing with such a troll.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In the situations I am describing what matters is not being correct. You will fail with a troll if you push for accurate/correct info. You have to fight a troll with harder trolling. To be clear, I only ever bring out my retort when I am dealing with such a troll.

This isn't appropriate behaviour when dealing with trolls on internet forums. Trolls only want to cause problems, or defend their own point of view (whether that's right or wrong). The appropriate response is to calmly state your point and then drop it. If the troll wants to raise the stakes, he'll be left dangling (and looking like a fool).

There's a saying that's​​ been true ever since the start of the internet - "Don't feed the trolls".

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
At least it was the waiter that told you that. Few nights ago I went to a pub for a beer with my friends and one of them noticed that I've bought a new phone. So he took it with a smile on his face, but what a surprise when he saw that Microsoft logo. He just unlocked swiped up and down, locked the phone again, and said something like ' You're a good man, best of luck'. Man I almost threw that beer in his face, I would if I didn't feel sorry about the beer.

iJohnnyCash

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Real or not, why do we have to deal with the lack of apps on WP anyway? I miss a real Youtube, Snapchat, Steam, Tinder..
Come on ... 6tin is a good app. And also the mobile page from youtube. Yeap it stop when you switch between apps but its something. If you want really hear music you use Spotify or your mp3 collection ;)

myoujin

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Come on ... 6tin is a good app. And also the mobile page from youtube. Yeap it stop when you switch between apps but its something. If you want really hear music you use Spotify or your mp3 collection ;)

Real youtube apps for me is tubecast. I compare with youtube apps for android. Tubecast smoke those apps.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I have had that kind of thing happen to me OP. And every time. I regret not calling up a manager or corporate. The waiter acted in an unprofessional manner. This is NOT how you treat anyone... especially a customer.

nTrud3r

May 2, 2015
Visit site
Go back there and demonstrate to the waiter that you can indeed place and receive phone calls and SMS'. Then show him the dictionary definition of phone by using Cortana ;)

jacwib

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Its worse for me, my friends thought my bb was a feature phone and didnt have a touchscreen.

Posted via bbq10, soon 2 be replaced by 640 lte

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb