Apple has 3D touch, why don't we?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
So Apple beat us to the punch :/ Your iOS mates will be able to say that they have 3D touch options on their phones and our counter will be "Well we had McClaren but it was cancelled, so we were first"? Not saying that 3D will be the reason to get an iPhone, but it's a nifty feature to have if implemented in the correct way, right?

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Force touch is not really great for the wp ecosystem. At least not now. For a start:
- Software wise: There are other things that need to be dealt with. There are lots of improvements that can be made.
- Hardware wise: Including force touch in the OS level (and its main apps) would mean that every device (even low range) will have to have it. This would be really bad for low and mid range devices.

I would rather they focus their efforts hardware wise on things like better camera, wireless charging, pen support, windows helo... These features can be included in the high range devices and be left out of mid or low range.

Also, the force touch implementation is still in its infancy. They could come at it later when it is cheaper to manufacture and design a better interface when people give their feedback to apple iPhone. So far, the implementation does not impress me. For example, the context menu can be easily done by a long press but it is not generally done on phones. The peak feature is interesting. Time will tell.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I get what you guys are saying, but as usual the media will/might take this one thing and run with it and if it does become a success, then did MS make a mistake by cancelling McClaren?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't see 3D or force touch doing much if anything.
Down the 3D road I'm betting screen failures and touch glitches will be rampant.

All the gimmicky stuff to me is unimportant.
Securing personal data and making all devices unhackable is where it's at as far as I can see.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
This is an unfortunate example of Feature Name Collision(tm). Microsoft was rumored to be working on 3D touch with McLaren. Apple just announced 3D touch for the new iPhones. However, it isn't the same thing. Microsoft's 3D touch was gesture support...essentially Kinect style control for your smartphone.

Apple's 3D touch is pressure sensitivity on their phone screens. A gentle touch of the screen will react differently than a firmer push. But Android and Windows Phone already have a modifier...You can tap or tap+hold and you would have ability to do the same thing, and as said above, you wouldn't need a special touch screen that could possibly be too expensive for the low end of the smartphone market.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
This is an unfortunate example of Feature Name Collision(tm). Microsoft was rumored to be working on 3D touch with McLaren. Apple just announced 3D touch for the new iPhones. However, it isn't the same thing. Microsoft's 3D touch was gesture support...essentially Kinect style control for your smartphone.

Apple's 3D touch is pressure sensitivity on their phone screens. A gentle touch of the screen will react differently than a firmer push. But Android and Windows Phone already have a modifier...You can tap or tap+hold and you would have ability to do the same thing, and as said above, you wouldn't need a special touch screen that could possibly be too expensive for the low end of the smartphone market.

Actually did not know this :)

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Maybe 3D will pan out for folks with disabilities.
I can see a few features that may benefit from a 3D enabled screen.

Broomcorn

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
3D touch is an awesome feature to have, don't kid yourself. Everyone will be doing a version of this in the near future, as it adds much needed functionality without adding more buttons. Peak and Pop (terrible names) are really some of the coolest phone features to come out in the recent future, something I would much rather have than an iris scanner that is just another way to log into my phone. To say that you can do all these things with a long press is misguided, and is the same argument you here from people choosing iPad over a Surface. "I can add a Bluetooth keyboard and stylus for my iPad, and buy a case that acts a stand, it is just as good." We all know that isn't true.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa