Seniors being duped into buying iPhones/Galaxy Phones?

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I've observed a disturbing trend. A lot of senior citizens I've seen lately are walking handling $600-$700 dollar phones. Most of these people are likely on a fixed income and are rocking an iPhone 6 and Galaxy S5/6 mind you.
(Please note, I'm not trying to be ageist here. I'm sure there is a healthy population of seniors who are tech saavy and want these devices. But I also feel like most seniors are being ripped off and want feedback.)

Now, one has to wonder what an average senior citizen needs their smartphone for. I'm sure some legitimately need all that horsepower - but I'd also venture to say most only need the following.

1. Make phone calls
  2. Send text messages
  3. Check e-mails
  4. Check Facebook
  5. Maybe use Facebook messenger
  6. MAYBE use the web slightly
  7. MAYBE use a couple apps. Maybe... which ones hard to say.

Probably somewhat basic requirements, right? Well, why are these people wasting their limited incoming buying these phones when a Windows Phone for a FRACTION of the cost will easily handle those tasks and handle it well?

My guess is the reasons are as follows:

1. Their kids told them to get that
  2. The salesmen at the store told them to get that
I feel like they're spending the limited amount of money they have on something they really don't need and wasting a lot of their money doing so.

Why aren't more senior folks on Windows Phone??

Michael Tillman

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely. They tricked my grandfather into an iPhone 6 last year at TMOBILE. They told him feature phones are obsolete. He only makes calls and texts. He doesn't use email, he just turned 90! They are crazy!

I made him return it. He couldn't even dial properly on the touch screen. I got them to waive the restocking fee and he walked out with an LG 450 flip feature phone.

They obviously wanted a commission or to reach some sales goal. What a scam!

Now I'm trying to teach him how to use my Lumia 640. If he picks it up I might get him a $50 Lumia 435. But an $800 phone? That's over half his monthly social security check. These people are heartless!

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I've observed a disturbing trend. A lot of senior citizens I've seen lately are walking handling $600-$700 dollar phones. Most of these people are likely on a fixed income and are rocking an iPhone 6 and Galaxy S5/6 mind you.
(Please note, I'm not trying to be ageist here. I'm sure there is a healthy population of seniors who are tech saavy and want these devices. But I also feel like most seniors are being ripped off and want feedback.)

Now, one has to wonder what an average senior citizen needs their smartphone for. I'm sure some legitimately need all that horsepower - but I'd also venture to say most only need the following.

1. Make phone calls
  2. Send text messages
  3. Check e-mails
  4. Check Facebook
  5. Maybe use Facebook messenger
  6. MAYBE use the web slightly
  7. MAYBE use a couple apps. Maybe... which ones hard to say.

Probably somewhat basic requirements, right? Well, why are these people wasting their limited incoming buying these phones when a Windows Phone for a FRACTION of the cost will easily handle those tasks and handle it well?

My guess is the reasons are as follows:

1. Their kids told them to get that
  2. The salesmen at the store told them to get that
I feel like they're spending the limited amount of money they have on something they really don't need and wasting a lot of their money doing so.

Why aren't more senior folks on Windows Phone??

For one, where I live (Canada) there is very little offerings in the way of Windows phones, low-end /budget included, the L830 is pretty much it and for the price of $500 CAD they can do better.

I myself even suggest the competition if according to "their needs" suits them best, just because WP can handle the same task in one form or another doesn't mean it'll work or is the best option for them.

Right now WP w/Win 8.1 is incomplete, lacks features, apps, new hardware amongst other things compared to the completion and, W10 hasn't officially arrived... Some of the uncertainty surrounding WP/W10M as of late plays a big role too.

So "NO" I don't think seniors are getting ripped off, unless they are not being honest about their needs, in my world those that are not too tech savvy still have flip-phones or IOS devices, the latter I choose to recommend the most if it is warranted.

Like anything people have to learn to do their homework first, figure out their needs and talk to people they trust, it is standard practice for businesses to "upsell" w/the Mobile Phone market being no different.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just got the in-laws set up a week ago with their first ever smart phones...

Previously they had dumb phones and a WiFi hotspot through Sprint. They live out in the country and their internet options are severely limited for the house.

They have a new WiFi hotspot through Straight Talk and use a pay as you go with refill cards available at the local Walmart.

Their former dumb phones had a limit on how many minutes they could use every month and they paid a premium to add in certain callers to not count toward the total. No data, not even for WAP. :(

I moved the phone service to Cricket and we bundled them in with the wife and I to save them more money. Cricket had Lumia 635 for $30 plus activation so I set them up with 2 Lumia 635s and showed them how to use it. They have unlimited talk, text, MMS and 2.5GB of high speed data before they get slowed. Since they hardly ever use the internet for anything, I'm thinking they will see they don't need the hotspot now that they can look up little things and get email on their phones and they will save more $ when they dump the hotspot.

As it is they are saving $45 a month with more services, increased flexibility and better coverage, plus increased data speed on their hotspot over Sprint's outdated EV-DO.

Total cost of equipment and activations for the whole move (2 new phones + 2 activations & one hotspot device with free activation): $140.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For one, where I live (Canada) there is very little offerings in the way of Windows phones, low-end /budget included, the L830 is pretty much it and for the price of $500 CAD they can do better...

...Like anything people have to learn to do their homework first, figure out their needs and talk to people they trust, it is standard practice for businesses to "upsell" w/the Mobile Phone market being no different.

If you are comparing only by what can be had walking into a cell phone provider's store then, yes, they can do better.

If you are comparing only by what can be had walking into a cell phone provider's store then, no, you are not doing your homework to help them.

The point is avoiding what can only be had walking into a cell phone provider's store. That way lies the rip off no matter what age you are.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Could happen with anything, not just WP. Buying a new car, TV, appliance or any major purchase, if you don't know what you want regardless of age, salespeople will take advantage. Nothing new here.

Sent from my Lumia 1020

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
The point is avoiding what can only be had walking into a cell phone provider's store. That way lies the rip off no matter what age you are.

Doing your homework is not relegated to the carriers or for that matter the cell phone industry only, it applies to "anything" one purchase and a strategy everyone should follow, if you don't do your due diligence beforehand or just rely on hype then the potential for being "taken for a ride" is much greater.

The problem I'm seeing is that people have a view that there is only one choice, "their" choice, as for myself I look at it objectively and can see the bad as well as the "GOOD" in what the completion has to offer, what works for me won't necessarily work for others, if anyone (young or old alike) approaches me and asks what they should buy in regards to a cell phone I'll begin drilling them with questions until I get an idea of their needs, only then will I give my recommendations.

In all the years I have been dealing with carriers not once have I seen a case where anyone (myself included) was coerced into buying something beyond their needs, if I wanted phone-C that's what I got w/o the "yeah but this one is better", not saying it never happens and I'm fully aware it does, just haven't witnessed it nor has anyone brought it to my attention.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Considering the age of my in-laws (78 and 81) it's hard for them to even know what to research in terms of smart phones. If it was something they were familiar with they'd be all over it getting the best value and fit.

In terms of smart phones I would gladly have recommended what fits best from any number of devices in their budget. It happened to be Windows Phone and Live Tiles. Makes it easy to operate and secure. Does everything they need and then some. Budget-wise, iPhone isn't even a starter and performance and ease of use Android at that budget level is a no go.

But you, Elky64, said:
For one, where I live (Canada) there is very little offerings in the way of Windows phones, low-end /budget included, the L830 is pretty much it and for the price of $500 CAD they can do better.

And that's where I'm faulting your due diligence. You can get any number of Windows Phone devices in Canada. Many Canadians on the board prove this every day.

This place ships to CA: Smartphones | B&H Photo Video

How about these folks? Unlocked Phones > Windows Phone Listings - EXPANSYS Canada

Maybe try here: https://swappa.com/market/ca?ref=mobilenations&data1=UUwpUvbUpU3225336

Amazon? eBay? Don't they have Canadian sites? Craig's List?

Come on.... Saying all you can reasonably and easily get for Windows Phone in Canada is a $500 Lumia 830 is demonstrably not true. Yet you use it as the lead off fact on why you don't really recommend Windows Phone for seniors. Don't forget seniors are the focus of this thread.

As for your assertion:
...The problem I'm seeing is that people have a view that there is only one choice, "their" choice, as for myself I look at it objectively and can see the bad as well as the "GOOD" in what the completion has to offer, what works for me won't necessarily work for others, if anyone (young or old alike) approaches me and asks what they should buy in regards to a cell phone I'll begin drilling them with questions until I get an idea of their needs, only then will I give my recommendations....

I think it is countered by your earlier statement that:
...Right now WP w/Win 8.1 is incomplete, lacks features, apps, new hardware amongst other things compared to the completion and, W10 hasn't officially arrived... Some of the uncertainty surrounding WP/W10M as of late plays a big role too...

It reads to me as if you are letting your use scenario influence what you recommend to others.

If I knew my in laws needed more Apps than WP would provide - they would have different phones. If I thought any phone in that range would perform as well as the Lumia 635s in the daily use they will put them through - they would have different phones. If I thought WP lacked features they need, that these octogenarians need the most modern hardware, that the OS won't accommodate their use, that somehow Windows Phone 8.1 won't continue functioning properly after the advent of Win 10 Mo - they would be on another platform.

I'm not sure what your point is beyond caveat emptor. If that is all you mean, I believe that is contrary to the spirit of what the OP wants to express...

The basic premise of the thread is that many seniors are overpaying for smart phones. Your answer seems to be, "stinks to be them, they should be more careful." Then you go on to say how you recommend that older users stay stuck in the dark ages (flip phone) or that it is good they overpay and go the flagship route.

o_O

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I've seen it and it's disgusting. A good sales person will ask up front what the purchaser's budget is, then the needs and explain if the needs can be met within budget.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
And that's where I'm faulting your due diligence. You can get any number of Windows Phone devices in Canada. Many Canadians on the board prove this every day.

You are correct but I thought the subject was about seniors getting ripped off/paying too much, I highly doubt that this is happening through online purchases such as eBay, craigslist or otherwise, chances are they're going to the carrier outlets, kiosks and the like or even Best Buy. As for being readily available here, I'll stick with my original statement "little offerings" because of the subject matter, so please keep on track.

I believe that is contrary to the spirit of what the OP wants to express.

Again... Wasn't the OP talking costs and that the seniors were getting ripped off, I take it the fact they just happen to be premium phones (iPhones/Galaxy's) is third w/ease of use second, as they'll do everything a WP does plus... "too complicated" is subjective, as one OP stated about his grandfather and the iPhone 6 "He couldn't even dial properly on the touch screen", later "Now I'm trying to teach him how to use my Lumia 640", so did he even try to teach him on the iPhone, or, because it was an "iPhone" and he's partial to WP he couldn't be bothered?

I'm not sure what your point is

My point is that I may own three WPs but I'm not so narrow minded that it clouds my way of thinking, there are "other" choices that do the same or better aaand, w/WP/W10M being a little bottom heavy right now I am reluctant to recommend it at this point and time.

It reads to me as if you are letting your use scenario influence what you recommend to others

Hmm, no, I mostly base their needs on what will work for them and the choices out there, if and only if, what I am holding in my hand turns out to contain the right ingredients sobeit... It is most certainly not determined by "fanboyism" as such is being shown here.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Point of my post wasn't that they should be getting WP. Point was, for what they actually NEED should they be getting a $800 phone when there's Windows Phone offerings that provide what they NEED at a FRACTION of the price. (Lumia 640 for example that is $80 bucks without a contract).

I wouldn't recommend an $80 Android just because it's sure to perform so poorly the poor ol' chap would rather use it as a coaster than a phone.

Alternately, I may recommend they get an iPhone 4 or 4S - but surely not a brand spankin' new $800 iPhone 6. C'mon...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Considering the age of my in-laws (78 and 81) it's hard for them to even know what to research in terms of smart phones. If it was something they were familiar with they'd be all over it getting the best value and fit.

In terms of smart phones I would gladly have recommended what fits best from any number of devices in their budget. It happened to be Windows Phone and Live Tiles. Makes it easy to operate and secure. Does everything they need and then some. Budget-wise, iPhone isn't even a starter and performance and ease of use Android at that budget level is a no go.

But you, Elky64, said:

This place ships to CA: Smartphones | B&H Photo Video

How about these folks? Unlocked Phones > Windows Phone Listings - EXPANSYS Canada

Maybe try here: https://swappa.com/market/ca?ref=mobilenations&data1=UUwpUvbUpU3225428

Amazon? eBay? Don't they have Canadian sites? Craig's List?

Come on.... Saying all you can reasonably and easily get for Windows Phone in Canada is a $500 Lumia 830 is demonstrably not true. Yet you use it as the lead off fact on why you don't really recommend Windows Phone for seniors. Don't forget seniors are the focus of this thread.

As for your assertion:

I think it is countered by your earlier statement that:

It reads to me as if you are letting your use scenario influence what you recommend to others.

If I knew my in laws needed more Apps than WP would provide - they would have different phones. If I thought any phone in that range would perform as well as the Lumia 635s in the daily use they will put them through - they would have different phones. If I thought WP lacked features they need, that these octogenarians need the most modern hardware, that the OS won't accommodate their use, that somehow Windows Phone 8.1 won't continue functioning properly after the advent of Win 10 Mo - they would be on another platform.

I'm not sure what your point is beyond caveat emptor. If that is all you mean, I believe that is contrary to the spirit of what the OP wants to express...

The basic premise of the thread is that many seniors are overpaying for smart phones. Your answer seems to be, "stinks to be them, they should be more careful." Then you go on to say how you recommend that older users stay stuck in the dark ages (flip phone) or that it is good they overpay and go the flagship route.

o_O
Canada doesn't have Craigslist, but they do have Kijiji.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
iPhones might be useful to seniors if their children and grandchildren have them. I know several older folks who do FaceTime with their children and grandchildren.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
iPhones might be useful to seniors if their children and grandchildren have them. I know several older folks who do FaceTime with their children and grandchildren.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Their children should install Skype and let their parents use the extra money for a vacation, and more presents.

I've never used Facetime or owned an iPhone but don't care for being held down by single OS use apps.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Their children should install Skype and let their parents use the extra money for a vacation, and more presents.

Using Skype isn't really a good argument for WP, judging by all the complaints about its WP app!

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I've never used Facetime or owned an iPhone but don't care for being held down by single OS use apps.

Never used it so don't bash it :p Works quite well actually. It's a shame it's limited to iOS, but then again, it was a smart move in my opinion

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree with 920Walker...

Getting seniors to shell out for an iPhone so they can video call their children and grandchildren is ridiculous. Especially if that is the sole reason the seniors "need" an iPhone.

Skype works everywhere, including iPhone so if the "loving children" won't let their elderly parents video call the grandlings unless it is on Facetime that would be on the youngers and not the elders.

I've gone around on this exclusivity topic many times on this board with many different users. I've heard it more than a few times,"My (insert relationship) won't talk to me because I don't have (insert App like Facetime, iMessage, WhatsApp, SnapChat, knick-knack-paddy-whack...)" My response is always the same: I call Bull Snot. If there is a cross device way to contact an important other and contact does not happen because the important other is not on a platform dependent method, it is insulting and belittling to the person being cut out. Don't tell me ease or habit or convenience. The refusal to compromise and accommodate is a direct contradiction to the professed importance of the relationship.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750