I always find it interesting to ask friends and colleagues about this. The real question is of course why?
    10-28-2015 02:48 PM
    I'd probably ask NASA engineers.
    10-28-2015 03:04 PM
    I think I would prefer NASA technology over either of those choices.
    Laura Knotek, xandros9 and libra89 like this.
    10-28-2015 03:04 PM
    Something, something... needing to use finder to deploy parachutes during reentry...
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-28-2015 03:08 PM
    I don't think either are exactly qualified tbh.
    10-28-2015 04:17 PM
    Since this is theoretical, I'll pick MS. If a Soviet space ship comes to rescue me, I'm sure their ship could interface with MS. Apple might only work with US craft.
    10-28-2015 04:21 PM
    Microsoft totally. Using logic, apple maps would put you somewhere near pluto or something like that while here maps would put you smack dab on the point you wanted to travel to. Plus, Apple would want you to go to their moon, not the real one!
    10-28-2015 04:27 PM
    Microsoft totally. Using logic, apple maps would put you somewhere near pluto or something like that while here maps would put you smack dab on the point you wanted to travel to. Plus, Apple would want you to go to their moon, not the real one!
    HERE isn't a Microsoft product. It's owned by a consortium of German automakers.
    10-28-2015 05:01 PM
    Well, its what comes loaded in my Lumia.
    10-28-2015 06:57 PM
    Have I had a good life already?

If yes, Microsoft--I want to explore the universe!

If no, Apple, definitely. I don't want to die young because of a BSOD, heh.
    11-04-2015 09:07 PM
    First off, we need to determine if either company, Microsoft or Apple, have already been working with NASA and if NASA is eagerly desiring to use the tech from either Microsoft or Apple. Hmm... Can anyone give an example of this? How about, HoloLens, where Microsoft has actually had experience working with NASA.

Well, there's my answer.
    11-05-2015 09:23 AM
    Neither. This is a thought experiment asking which company designs or builds products that would work in a mission critical vacuum, like a space mission.

Truthfully, no internet connected devices company builds stuff that just works anymore. Apple, Microsoft, all of the Android devices, the mantra is ship now, and fix problems in post. Any phone, tablet, or PC that you get now has a laundry list of updates waiting for it as soon as it's connected to the internet for the first time.

It shows why truly "mission critical" software, the stuff that powers nuclear power plants, satellites, spacecraft and aircraft, etc is so expensive. This stuff can't have any bugs, it can't be good enough. It has to be perfect, every time. Writing code like that requires a level of oversight at the institutional level, with ridiculous levels of testing for function, and error tolerance.
    snipsnap likes this.
    11-05-2015 10:09 AM