My first Mobile phone

mc_razza

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
With all this talk about a new Nokia 3310 in the last couple of days online, it made me think about all the phones I had and the "special relationship" my family and I had over the years with Nokia.

My very first phone was a Nokia 6610i. It was a hand-me-down from my mum who upgraded to a Motorola RAZR V3x. I had it for about a year between 2005-06. It was grey and white with a 1.5" colour screen, 0.1MP CIF camera, ran on S40, and lasted seemingly ages between recharges. I used it on and off. Couldn't really game much or do anything else but it was great for texting and making/receiving phone calls. Remember phone calls?

Then in 2007 my second phone (but my first brand new phone) was the ZTE F252 flip phone made specifically for Telstra. I hated it. It was a dull grey 3G-capable phone with an 2" LCD screen and a 1.3MP camera which could roll forwards for selfies or backwards for regular snaps. It was priced cheap, felt cheap, operated cheap... but I needed it.

When my contract finished after two years of loathing I went back to glorious Nokia and upgraded to the E63, a blackberry-esque smartphone. It was black, had a full qwerty keyboard (which was pretty awesome), a 2.36" TFT screen, S60 v.3.1, a whopping 2MP camera, flashlight and *drumroll* WiFi. This was the first phone I could surf the net on. The Opera browser was slow and clunky but usable. I had that phone for four years. I originally wanted a touchscreen phone like the iPhone but I just didn't have the budget. Blackberry phones like my E63 had gotten old around the time when iPhone-like devices were coming onto the market and dominating it.

In early 2013 my mum bought a Nokia Lumia 720. It was impressive. The metro UI with its constantly updating tiles, the smooth operation, sleek pill design, gorgeous red colour, seriously bright LCD, respectable 4.3" screen, decent specs (despite the 512MB of RAM)... it had it all. It was then that I made my mind up to get a Lumia. By late 2013 I finally said goodbye to my trusty E63 and bought a Nokia Lumia 520. It had a yellow cover with a 5MP camera and reasonable 4" 480x800 screen but there were compromises, mainly no clear black polariser which meant viewing outdoors in sunlight was near impossible. Viewing angles were bad too. Despite being an entry-level smartphone it was quite good. Coming from the E63 the 520 felt like a powerhouse. With an S200 CPU and 512MB it was slow here and there but the great thing about the 520 - and Lumias in general - is that Windows Phone is a power-sipping OS optimised to run on low-end specs.

And now to the recent present. It was in the middle of 2016 when one night as I went to pocket the 520 it slipped out of my hand and fell a couple of feet onto the slate floor and smashed. The glass screen spectacularly shattered and left a hole to the right of the Nokia logo directly over the haptic engine. Surprisingly the digitiser was still intact and I could use the phone but I would end up having tiny shards of glass imbedded into my fingers. Not good. A couple weeks later I bought my current phone the Microsoft Lumia 640. We all know this phone. I love it. Best phone I've had EVER. Unlike all my previous phones I've looked after it extremely carefully. I've bought cases, official covers, handled it delicately. One would think it was brand new. I can see myself happily using it for a couple of years easy.

So there you have it. That's me and Nokia/Microsoft. As a user and fan I look forward to what Nokia have in store at MWC 2017. I think it's high time for Nokia to become relevant again and regain its coolness. Would I upgrade from my Lumia 640 to an Android-powered Nokia device? No. Do I want one? YES! I could see myself using one as a secondary phone, something to introduce me to Android.

But let's not forget Microsoft. I love Lumias, Windows Phone, and I think Windows 10 Mobile has the potential for a bright future. I believe the Surface Phone will finally make it happen and I await with bated breath for its reveal. My fingers are crossed it will be at MWC but others are saying it will be later in the year. Let's wait and see!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss