Ever get an itch to try something new w/ phones? What do you do?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'll like to know if you ever get a feeling or an itch to try something new with phones. I have been battling with wanting to try something new, phonewise. I caved in, and instantly regretted it, so I ended up returning said phone. However, even though I returned it, I find myself trying to justify why I should cave with a different device or some kind of change. I'll admit that I have even thought of trying an older iPhone, just to be able to try something different.

Does this happen to you? What do you do? Do you cave in?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Apparently, I posted this too soon. Now that there's a date when the 650 will be announced (in about 17 days), that would help with this. Either way, I think I will still like to know though.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I work in IT, and one of my jobs is administrating our MDM software, so I'm working with iPads quite often. So, I get more than my fill of using iOS devices.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I pick up devices used and sell ones I'm done with. I think I've stabilized though with a solid Android, a test WP and an iPhone that probably will be on the way out soon.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I wanted to try something new phone-wise. So I bought some paint and painted it black with gold metallic trim. The gold was the kind of paint that dries like a mirror, so it was pretty cool looking when I finished. However, holding it in my hand, as cool as it looked (from more than 18 inches away, because closer you can see the impurities in the job), it just FELT like I was holding something painted cheaply. I took some nail polish remover and cleaned the phone back to the original polycarbonate black.

I tried it on my backup Lumia 635, just in case I didn't like it.

Hey, worth a shot.
gold-rim-635.jpg

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I buy older phones in new condition when possible or stick with low cost new phones.

When it comes to mobile the leaps in technology aren't long in distance in my opinion.
The expensive thing about jumping around is buying trinkets for the current phone.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I wanted to try something new phone-wise. So I bought some paint and painted it black with gold metallic trim. The gold was the kind of paint that dries like a mirror, so it was pretty cool looking when I finished. However, holding it in my hand, as cool as it looked (from more than 18 inches away, because closer you can see the impurities in the job), it just FELT like I was holding something painted cheaply. I took some nail polish remover and cleaned the phone back to the original polycarbonate black.

Hey, worth a shot.
View attachment 120789

I think you redefined "try something new w/ phones"!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Hey, worth a shot.
View attachment 120789

Coool! You're ambitious.

Ooh interesting responses. Good to know that it's not just me. I don't know if I am as brave as rhapdog, but very impressed.
Having a wp for music is kind of an excuse to try a "new" phone.

Last edited:

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
WP_20160125_20_24_56_Pro.jpg

Aluminum tape on the sides of matte white 640. Actually I already don't like it, but if Mozo did one... Metal ring for magnetic lenses does not make it quite 950 ;)

I took the picture with 820 on W10M insider, and the amount of purple is huge! (edit: also in wp8.1, less in 640)
To success,
- black tape to ports (like 650), although even full circle of metal should not affect reception too much
- steadier hands than I do, pulling the tape off to align better makes small wrinkles. Aluminum is easy-ish to smooth down and for sure it will not come off too easily ;) Let's keep the button side out of sight :)
- get tape with not as glossy finish, it's slippery. Not slippery like glossy blue, but still.

Another "something new" could be controlling heating with Arduino and L820. Currently ther is only small AVR without connections to outside world, but using phone as virtual shield would allow remote monitoring and commanding. Unfortunately security prevents using SMS and email - receiving is not allowed and sending is actually compose - user needed to press the send. HTTP get and put do work, so putting up (free) web server is a must. Dang, why they have to spoil everything ;)

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
View attachment 121209

Aluminum tape on the sides of matte white 640. Actually I already don't like it, but if Mozo did one... Metal ring for magnetic lenses does not make it quite 950 ;)

I took the picture with 820 on W10M insider, and the amount of purple is huge! (edit: also in wp8.1, less in 640)
To success,
- black tape to ports (like 650), although even full circle of metal should not affect reception too much
- steadier hands than I do, pulling the tape off to align better makes small wrinkles. Aluminum is easy-ish to smooth down and for sure it will not come off too easily ;) Let's keep the button side out of sight :)
- get tape with not as glossy finish, it's slippery. Not slippery like glossy blue, but still.

Another "something new" could be controlling heating with Arduino and L820. Currently ther is only small AVR without connections to outside world, but using phone as virtual shield would allow remote monitoring and commanding. Unfortunately security prevents using SMS and email - receiving is not allowed and sending is actually compose - user needed to press the send. HTTP get and put do work, so putting up (free) web server is a must. Dang, why they have to spoil everything ;)
I would have never thought of doing something like that, very creative!

As for the phone, I have learned that I am kind of a Denim snob. I tried a non 8.1 phone, just for music and I just can't because it's too dated. It's going back. On to the next...

Mike Santagata

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I've exclusively used windows phones since 2012, starting with Lumia 810, then Lumia 925, then M8 for windows, and now 950xl. However, I work for tmobile and have fallen in love with the LG V10. If only it ran windows, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. However, nothing beats my Lumia 950xl camera ☺

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes I just have to remind myself that new phone doesn't always equal new me. After the initial ooh and awe wears off, I'm going to load up the same apps and consume the same content. Aside from hardware specific features, it's hard to imagine using a new phone any differently than my old one. Screens get sharper, processors get faster, but none of that helps me do more. It only helps me do the same but only faster.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Great perspective @HeyCori ! Thanks for that. Related to the thread, I finally got my knockoff green cover and it is great. It gives me a whole new appreciation for my phone. Buttons work great and all and it also fits in my clear tpu case.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

I never would have thought of using Aluminum tape! Well, that's because I've never seen it. Okay, now I'm going to start looking for it. Maybe I can find a gold foil tape as well? Since I have a black cover, I think the gold would look better.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Ironically, I got a new device, but not a wp (decided to pass on the 950). I have been playing with Android and it's been nice. Feeling like I should try iOS as well so I found a good deal to do it. They allow returns so there's that.

Mark Richey

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I lost interest in iOS when I was on that platform. Android intrigues me, but I lack motivation and there seems so much by way of caveats. I have a 950 now and hardware wise, there really is nothing that turns my crank. MS has been making good on refreshes to the platform and I am an enthusiastic Insider.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon