Opening A Microsoft Oriented Store

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi all. I live in the Caribbean and as such this region is obviously ignored by manufacturers. I'm a big Nokia fan and as such a default windows fan. Truthfully I do like the OS as well.
I also own a mobile repair and sales store. (2 actually, in Barbados and in Jamaica.)
The store in Barbados is ready for expansion. With an Apple store already here and a Samsung department in another;plus my love for windows, I decided to create a Microsoft oriented store.
My question to you is:
1. What devices should I carry? There seems to be a lot of great devices out there and I'm a bit confused as to what may profitable sense. I've categorised a few segments.
1. Mobile Devices/Phones
So far the list is:
950/XL
640/XML dual sim
*830 (not very sure. Need advice here)
Asus Primo
Alcatel OneTouch Fierce
Blue HD
People here may wonder why older devices are making the list.
Let me give you the rationale.
A local network sells the 1020 new locked for just around 725usd. Apart from a major price difference, the 1020 still undoubtedly has a brilliant camera. That's the seller there. People here are photo maniacs. 1020 justified.
I'm not sure about the 830 as I've read mixed reviews and I'm not sure how good it is for the price it is.
640/XML are big durable low budget dual sims. And quite reliable. Plus at the price I get them at, they'll probably be the "bread and butter" Microsoft devices.
950/XML continuum. The new shiny thing which will lure the masses in. Over here most people don't purchase based on particular personal needs. Things are bought because of the cool factor. With price playing second fiddle. As much as persons here may not have a real use for continuum it will sell in droves here simply because its cool. New. And competing devices can't.
The 1520 from all reports is a beast of a phone. Never read anything negative about it even to this day. Plus, over here the BIG phones (we call them "phone booths" over here Lol) are the in thing. So I think a solid device like the 1520 would suffice it in the list.
Asus Primo. I believe is actually the best windows device; at least on paper.
The 930 is also a solid device and arguably the "unofficial flagship" prior to the 950. Blu is actually the brand of the masses. A familiar household name here. So a Blu is familiar to most consumers. 550 is budget. And a really great screen.
Now what other devices should I add? And also why?

Laptops
This is where it gets confusing. I need some "high end" laptops as well as budget ones.
So far the surface book and Dell xps 13 & 15 along with the Acer 2 in 1 leads the show. Apart from that I'm drawing a blank. I know they are plenty laptops out there but I'm looking at price vs specs and trying to find a balance. (I know there is a WC editorial on top ten windows laptops. Can someone please post that link? Thanks!)
So I'm open to suggestions on laptops with reasonable prices vs spec sheet.
.Tablets.another touchy subject. Most here use those cheap Chinese tablets. Most stores sell them. They are cheap. What I'm looking for is cheap windows 10 tablets with decent specs. Just to note though, I have listed here surface pro 3 and 4. I know not cheap, but I know I want those premiums as well. The only other device I have is the HP stream7.
So all in all, I need some advice here. I really do appreciate it.
PS all are invited to the live stream present opening party. Lol

PPS they are ALOT of local banking and local stores apps created for the other 2 OS'es. Especially the iphone. I'm willing to convert them (iOS) via the islandwood project. Any developers out there interested?
Mods can you please place this as a sticky? I know its not very useful to others but I do need and appreciate as much assistance and factual advice as I can get. Thanks

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think you could get away with less phones, I'm not too optimistic about mobile as of late and perhaps you can also pick up Android devices + Microsoft services as a compliment? Especially since you said there was a Samsung store which leaves a large number of devices out of the picture.

I think the 640 and 640 XL will be great, as you said, "bread and butter" devices, hard to go wrong with them as far as selling Windows Phones go.

I think you got the 950 and 950 XL thinking squared away but I wouldn't stock too many.

As for the 830 and 930 I think they can replace each other. The 930 is a powerful package but I also think the 830 is potentially more rounded with a removable battery and memory card, although the 640 could be a bit too close and cheap for comfort.
I would let the prices choose because if the 930 isn't much more expensive than the 830 - 930.

Can't go wrong with the 1520 but it might be cramped. Especially with the other two XL's in the lineup. Also worth considering it being a 930 in a bigger skin. If you get an 830, a 1520 is more appealing to me/

I like the sound of the ASUS Jade Primo but next to the 950? Ehhh. One of those might suffice.

I'd consider more BLU actually.

As for laptops, hmm, well here's what I would do...

HP Stream - one of two of those models should do nicely for bargain bin computing.

I would strongly consider older, but once higher-end business class PCs. I know where I am, an couple to few years grizzled ThinkPad in good condition is a bulletproof computing option, albeit not the thinnest nor best for gaming but otherwise very capable. If I didn't need more graphics horsepower and a pen I may still be using my 2008 T400.

As for fancy gear I think you got it squared away. I'm a huge fan of Lenovo ThinkPads, Dell Latitudes - I'm a huge sucker for those less-glamorous-yet-durable PCs and those can fill any price level you need. Otherwise worth noting that keeping some consumer grade Lenovo Yoga's around can't hurt too.

Other than the HP Stream 7, I would consider a Dell Venue 8 Pro, especially if the original model is available. (and with a case and keyboard from FINTIE or whatever makes it - great netbook on a budget) Or actually, depending on what price you can get it at, any last-gen Atom 8" tablet if its a good deal.

Dell's Venue 11 Pro is worth a look for a less-than-expensive full-size tablet, as well as some ASUS Transformers like the T100, which is older though.

And be sure to give us the link to this stream. And as for apps, its up for the dev to do it.

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated. I was thinking the jade primo as it came with the bundles which I can sell to enterprise customers as the premium all in one package or break the package down and sell each part individually I.e. make money on each which would "lower" the price to the consumer
I would like to carry high middle and low end laptops from a few trusted OEMS. I've broken it down to Dell, HP, Acer, Lenovo and Toshiba. (Plus Microsoft books) .
Tablets are just about the same OEMS but willing to deviate based on competition selling the cheap Chinese tablets. (I don't mind carrying a few but from a brand where I can easily find firmware)
As of today, (8th March, 2016) I have:
Approached banks and credit unions/building societies, local businesses. Some have iOS apps and I have introduced them to islandwood and uwa.
So far 2 have actively started development of islandwood porting. The others asked if I would be able to. (Thus me looking for a developer)
The other thing I've done is contacted Uber. Trying to create Uber Barbados/Caribbean. Its a tourist destination plus I'm looking to use it to promote my business and let drivers apply/register through my company. Thus bringing traffic in. (There is a taxi stand right opposite)
All in all I'm working very hard with this.
Any other ideas or recommendations?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated. I was thinking the jade primo as it came with the bundles which I can sell to enterprise customers as the premium all in one package or break the package down and sell each part individually I.e. make money on each which would "lower" the price to the consumer
I would like to carry high middle and low end laptops from a few trusted OEMS. I've broken it down to Dell, HP, Acer, Lenovo and Toshiba. (Plus Microsoft books) .
Tablets are just about the same OEMS but willing to deviate based on competition selling the cheap Chinese tablets. (I don't mind carrying a few but from a brand where I can easily find firmware)
As of today, (8th March, 2016) I have:
Approached banks and credit unions/building societies, local businesses. Some have iOS apps and I have introduced them to islandwood and uwa.
So far 2 have actively started development of islandwood porting. The others asked if I would be able to. (Thus me looking for a developer)
The other thing I've done is contacted Uber. Trying to create Uber Barbados/Caribbean. Its a tourist destination plus I'm looking to use it to promote my business and let drivers apply/register through my company. Thus bringing traffic in. (There is a taxi stand right opposite)
All in all I'm working very hard with this.
Any other ideas or recommendations?

I like that thinking on the Primo.

I'd personally avoid HP outside of the business/high end because I kinda did have issues with every HP device that has passed my hands. (I know that conflicts with my advice to carry the Stream, but make that an exception)

By the sounds of it, you're doing a better job than many of us could probably.

I think a couple desktops might be nice to round out the lineup if there's space since they're "more bang-for-buck" albeit not exactly portable.

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
I'll pm you a bit later. Know any developers? I need someone to port some local apps from ios and create some uwa. Already put up the notice in the development section.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon