MS needs you to buy new phones! Yes, you there reading this

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
There isn't really an issue apart from the less level headed

I absolutely agree... From everything I'm reading, it seems like people were clinging on the promise of upgrading instead of buying a new phone. I understand them, but I also don't.. If you want to stick to low-end the 640 is sufficient..

If you want high-end, we have an assortment of those as well..

I would have liked a mid-tier phone. The Vaio would've been nice, but Japan... lol

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Same here!
Having a hard time juggling the blasted collection of mine.
Why be frustrated with one when you can be mad at 4!

A labor of love I'm thinking :)
Haha yes. I have 3, one of them is the iphone 5s, which is technically my new. I feel like I have too many of them...but I don't want to give up my 640 and miss out on official W10, or my 435. Welp.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Haha yes. I have 3, one of them is the iphone 5s, which is technically my new. I feel like I have too many of them...but I don't want to give up my 640 and miss out on official W10, or my 435. Welp.

I guess I should follow you guys and diversify :p

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Haha to be fair, I think Guytronic wins here, along with mark233. Mark seems to change his sim around the devices, and Guytronic has a strategy with his phones. As for me, I use the 435 for music only. When W10M comes to my 640, along with certain apps, I'll slip my sim back in it most likely lol.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
A busted 950 left me experimenting with Android recently. It made me realize that I'm going back to my 1520, even if it would require me to use insider builds to keep it up to date. Every manufacturer builds a date where they stop officially supporting their devices, because of the fear of quality concerns with the new OS on old hardware. Apple and Google do it too. At least Microsoft provides an unofficial update path.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think the major issue is not only the fact that many apps are not available, but that apps that are available will become abandoned on those devices that are abandoned.

Even if an iPhone or an Android doesn't get updated to the latest version of iOS or Android, the apps themselves still get updated in the App Store or Google Play. Case in point: the Mobile Nations apps.

The iMore app requires iOS 7 or newer, which means that even folks who have the iPhone 4 are able to use the very same iMore app that folks who have the iPhone 6s use.

The Android Central app requires Android 4.0.3 or newer, which means that someone who has a Samsung Galaxy SIII that was never updated is able to use the very same Android Central app as folks who have the brand new Samsung Galaxy S7.

The Windows Central app for Windows Phone 8.1 was abandoned a long time ago and will never be updated to what its Windows 10 version is like.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
A busted 950 left me experimenting with Android recently. It made me realize that I'm going back to my 1520, even if it would require me to use insider builds to keep it up to date. Every manufacturer builds a date where they stop officially supporting their devices, because of the fear of quality concerns with the new OS on old hardware. Apple and Google do it too. At least Microsoft provides an unofficial update path.

Lol and I actually never want to leave, but this made me realize that I should've had a backup phone (well you know from a different platform) just in case.. But if I had just gotten the 640 I probably would be laughing now and congratulating myself on a job well done lol

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
The Windows Central app for Windows Phone 8.1 was abandoned a long time ago and will never be updated to what its Windows 10 version is like

I was actually wondering about that app.. but this is exactly why I told another user in another thread that downgrading to 8.1 doesn't make much sense.. The support will end and devs will most likely be pushing for universal apps

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I think the major issue is not only the fact that many apps are not available, but that apps that are available will become abandoned on those devices that are abandoned.

Even if an iPhone or an Android doesn't get updated to the latest version of iOS or Android, the apps themselves still get updated in the App Store or Google Play. Case in point: the Mobile Nations apps.

The iMore app requires iOS 7 or newer, which means that even folks who have the iPhone 4 are able to use the very same iMore app that folks who have the iPhone 6s use.

The Android Central app requires Android 4.0.3 or newer, which means that someone who has a Samsung Galaxy SIII that was never updated is able to use the very same Android Central app as folks who have the brand new Samsung Galaxy S7.

The Windows Central app for Windows Phone 8.1 was abandoned a long time ago and will never be updated to what its Windows 10 version is like.
Apps may work onabandomed androids but security holes are not always plugged. So Imo that's far worse.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Disappointed 920 user here. Like the original poster said, current line of Lumia phones out there now don't really feel like an upgrade from 920 for me. Maybe 950 but it's too damn expensive for me. I'd ignore the size and go for 1520 if I can find it dirt cheap (near free) this moment. *wailing*

Edit: I'm going to stick to .164 for as long as possible or MS offer us another build.

Swappa has 1520s for $150. Which is actually amazing. Considering what you're getting for that price. As does eBay.
I'm tempted to sell mine for that amount. Not because I am unhappy. I have Tmobile and it definitely is missing a lot of bands

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I like the 1520 :) but it's size has kept me from getting it. Also loved the 930, but the heating issues had kept me at bay

Honestly the size was crazy when I first got it but honestly after owning one, it really is not that big.

Get the incipio case for it. I've noticed that when I have the case for it on,it feels smaller. Buy considering how thin the 1520 is,the size isn't bad. Go wild and get the best windows phone to date :)

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

100% agree, going by the lack of activity in the windows store (updates) on my three WPs w/8.1 lately it appears that trend has already begun. If and when my L830 gets updated I?ll be real curious to see how the W10M versions compare, huge difference with many apps now between W8.1 and my LG G4 running Marshmallow so it will be interesting to see.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, security doesn't sell devices. If that were the case, BlackBerry would be successful.
I've said that since forever. If we cared about security, we wouldn't use Windows. Android in mobile and Windows in desktop are so similar it's freaky!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've said that since forever. If we cared about security, we wouldn't use Windows. Android in mobile and Windows in desktop are so similar it's freaky!

Not exactly seeing as my first gen surface pro has yet to be abandoned nor am I stuck on an older build. Also are we really comparing a mobile OS (Android) to a PC OS(Windows)?

Aside from the connectivity and synergy between the wo, nahhh Windows 10 desktop and mobile are not that similar so much as they are simply connected together as one.

Edit: Definitely had to rewrite that post. I should not post while I am half-asleep

Last edited:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Honestly the size was crazy when I first got it but honestly after owning one, it really is not that big

Yea I'm amazed at how thin it is! ultimately it's less about the size in my hand and more about "pocketable" size. Yea I'm still one of those mooks that puts his phone in his pockets :/

Danny Doj

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Looking at past examples (WP7 to 7.5 to 7.8, Android Jelly Bean to Kitkat, etc), chances are that W10M will support these handsets in the future. Most likely W10M will become more optimised with newer updates which will both add new features AND reduce the system requirements so that it will run better on lower end devices. Apple updates tend to bloat the firmware and require more power while Windows and SOME Android updates tend to reduce the required resources.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
chances are that W10M will support these handsets in the future

What future? :/ I'm pretty sure that most will be moving on after the support for TH and 8.1 has ended and it doesn't seem likely that MS will put any more resources into optimizing RS for the phones that are left out.

With your unsupported device you can make it to w10m TH builds if you join the insider, but that's about it

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
chances are that W10M will support these handsets in the future

We know how it goes.
There will be hacks from the global geek squad if not MS.
The old series phones are a dead-end though.
It will just take time for the stubborn X20 users to realize this.

Time erases everything.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss