MS needs you to buy new phones! Yes, you there reading this

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
So you know that Star Wars meme "let the hate flow through you"? The internet, at least that small bit that is dedicated to WP, has been lighting up with hate towards MS for dropping 512MB and some 1GB phones from the official list that can receive w10m.

To be honest it was sad news fo sho.. but for those with 512MB devices, isn't the 640 line an upgrade to what you had? and shouldn't you at least consider the 640? and there are even other manufacturers now

For those with 1GB phones.. you can move to the 1520/930/950(XL) and there are also other manufacturers now..

So to be quite honest it isn't the end of the world. But I have to admit I understand the hate and disappointment many are feeling right now, because none of my phones will be supported beyond insider TH builds (635/920 and a 925 that needed some fixing, but I don't see the point in that now) and beyond that none of the current phones (wp) out there are really that appealing to me, apart from the 640 line (for some reason I like the build and screen). Also love the 950, but I don't spend more than 300 on my phones since I buy them outright lol.

Anyways I hope MS will at least provide us "losers" with a stable TH insider build before abandoning is in a few months, but at this point it doesn't seem likely.

I think I might interop just for the fun of it :winktongue:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I mentioned to my Friend/neighbor a while back who has the 640 that these phones could be updated to Windows 10.
He said:
What's that do I need it?
I said no, not if your happy.

windobuddies625

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Rejected 1320 user here xD... this is like a party everyone was invited for and then alot of us were just sent away coz "we" (our phones") weren't good enough lol

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I mentioned to my Friend/neighbor a while back who has the 640 that these phones could be updated to Windows 10.
He said:
What's that do I need it?
I said no, not if your happy.

Lol best way of looking at it I think, but yea we've seen a lot of users here switch to the 640 from low and high-end phones. Most of them were full of praises!

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Rejected 1320 user here xD... this is like a party everyone was invited for and then alot of us were just sent away coz "we" (our phones") weren't good enough lol

Lol I understand how you feel :p but yea not much to do now. You can downgrade back to 8.1 but support for that will end at some point or stick with insider hoping that MS will at the very least give us a stable build before saying goodbye

windobuddies625

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Lol I understand how you feel :p but yea not much to do now. You can downgrade back to 8.1 but support for that will end at some point or stick with insider hoping that MS will at the very least give us a stable build before saying goodbye
Sticking with build .164 on my 1320 for now. Works great. But my windows phone loyalty will end soon.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I bought a 435 as a music player a few months back. That's all I can contribute. Wanted a 532 but it was too much for what I was being offered in the color I would want.

I still have my 640 but it's no longer my daily driver. However, I don't regret the decision at all to originally upgrade from the 521, and all of the WPs I have tried after the 640.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Good discussion Ven :)

The wife mentioned the other day she would enjoy a better camera phone.
I started looking at the 830 since she would like to stay with Microsoft and the 5 inch screen size.
She's another user I know that has no desire to update being one who does not follow tech.

I know if W10 magically appeared on her phone she'd probably think I changed her screen (which makes her mad)
Another typical user...

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Disappointed 920 user here. Like the original poster said, current line of Lumia phones out there now don't really feel like an upgrade from 920 for me. Maybe 950 but it's too damn expensive for me. I'd ignore the size and go for 1520 if I can find it dirt cheap (near free) this moment. *wailing*

Edit: I'm going to stick to .164 for as long as possible or MS offer us another build.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Good discussion Ven :)

The wife mentioned the other day she would enjoy a better camera phone.
I started looking at the 830 since she would like to stay with Microsoft and the 5 inch screen size.
She's another user I know that has no desire to update being one who does not follow tech.

I know if W10 magically appeared on her phone she'd probably think I changed her screen (which makes her mad)
Another typical user...

This made me laugh!! not at the wife tho (so don't kill me), but the situation :grin:

But it is true.. If you stop worrying about upgrades, there really is no issue here

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Disappointed 920 user here. Like the original poster said, current line of Lumia phones out there now don't really feel like an upgrade from 920 for me. Maybe 950 but it's too damn expensive for me. I'd ignore the size and go for 1520 if I can find it dirt cheap (near free) this moment. *wailing*

Edit: I'm going to stick to .164 for as long as possible or MS offer us another build.

I like the 1520 :) but it's size has kept me from getting it. Also loved the 930, but the heating issues had kept me at bay

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
There isn't really an issue apart from the less level headed. These devices aren't going to turn into hand grenades or self destruct. I'm in the 'lucky' position of having all sorts of devices from 950 & 950xl through to my lovely old 1320. Yes, I like the 950xl. Yes it will get the updates, and yes, I expect it to be in the same boat in a couple of years. That's the tech / phone world. Last year one of my drivers laid out a LOT of money for an S6. Now he's concerned he won't get a Marshmallow update to the same build as the S7. It happened to me on the Note 3. We were lucky to get 5.0 while the Note 4 disappeared over the horizon.... And it will keep happening, be that Android, iOS or windows. Would people have a hissy fit if their laptop or PC didn't get an update to 10, because their specs weren't sufficient.

I concur that the recent devices aren't inspiring, and I include the 950's in that!! I guess the end result was achieved using the feedback and the amount of devices using the TP. I had raised this point with Gabe, about the amount of TP downloads, and the amount of feedback received and the discrepancies.

It isn't nice when your loyal device is basically seen as obsolete, but that's the way of the world, other wise we'd still be riding horses on our way back to our cave to watch a black and white, 12" screen TV!! That's the issue with the windows ecosystem, we get wrapped up in it, we are the minority, we invest our loyalty to preserve the underdog badge, and when things have to change for the greater good, it hurts, and the feeling of being let down, abandoned or forgotten, is akin to losing a very good friend. I love my old 1320. .164 works fine, and I shall keep her within my business until she dies a natural death.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
*MS needs you to buy new phones!*

I bought a new phone --- iPhone6s and I quite enjoy it. I would also like to buy a NEW Windows phone but so far nothing has grabbed my 'I really want this Windows phone' attention yet. Well, the XL caught my attention but I just don't feel comfortable paying that kind of money for it.

My 830's and my 735 are behaving pretty well with Win10 on them (so far) ... but it bugs me that the 830 isn't recording in stereo :-/ . It's still decent but --- on 8.1 it could and on 10 it doesn't ... oh well, not a stick in the eye situation.

I'll just kick back and see how the Win10 mobile device line-up pans out.

I have too many phones (that's subjective to some) at the moment lol :winktongue:

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
*MS needs you to buy new phones!*

I bought a new phone --- iPhone6s and I quite enjoy it. I would also like to buy a NEW Windows phone but so far nothing has grabbed my 'I really want this Windows phone' attention yet. Well, the XL caught my attention but I just don't feel comfortable paying that kind of money for it.

My 830's and my 735 are behaving pretty well with Win10 on them (so far) ... but it bugs me that the 830 isn't recording in stereo :-/ . It's still decent but --- on 8.1 it could and on 10 it doesn't ... oh well, not a stick in the eye situation.

I'll just kick back and see how the Win10 mobile device line-up pans out.

I have too many phones (that's subjective to some) at the moment lol :winktongue:

Some of the OEM stuff looks promising. Let's hope they keep them coming! I like the look of the Vaio, but will it go worldwide???? The 950xl is a nice bit of kit, but it doesnt have any 'pizzazz'. It's a bit dull to look at. Not a bad place to start from though....the 650 looks more promising, but it needs the guts of a 950 sticking inside it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte