What will you do now?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
For all those angry at Microsoft and threatening to leave what will you do with your former love?

Will you?:
  1. Give it to a friend in need
  2. Throw your phone away
  3. Toss it under a bus
  4. Throw it in a drawer
  5. Mount it like a trophy
  6. Keep it to remember
  7. Trade up
  8. Sell

What will you do...?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
My M8 will be kept safely in a drawer and once i get the MMS to work (Verizon variant on T-Mobile), it'll get used once every 1-2 weeks as a daily driver.

Having been around since Windows Mobile 2003 SE, I'm not as mad or as surprised at the latest fiasco.

Posted approved via Moto Maxx

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Will still use my Ativ S, L1020 and L830, all running W8.1, for work and such as I just cycle between them, once the life is sucked out of them or they become useless in their present state we'll continue on with Android... Recently purchased the LG G4 so we're set.

Disappointed to hear the news but not overly surprised as the writing has been on the wall for sometime. Really was looking forward to be full-on WP but the delays, lack of advancements, its poor impact on the market (we all know why) and the fact availability had gotten worse, at least here in Canada, gave me no choice but to look elsewhere for my future mobile needs.

Had a similar experience with BB in 2012 and haven't looked back since, pretty much going to be the same with WM at least on the short term level which will more than likely equates to 2-3 years min, for me MS needs to have a proven record for a lengthy period of time before I'll commit again, if their present traits continue it'll never be.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Will still use my Ativ S, L1020 and L830, all running W8.1, for work and such as I just cycle between them, once the life is sucked out of them or they become useless in their present state we'll continue on with Android... Recently purchased the LG G4 so we're set.

Disappointed to hear the news but not overly surprised as the writing has been on the wall for sometime. Really was looking forward to be full-on WP but the delays, lack of advancements, its poor impact on the market (we all know why) and the fact availability had gotten worse, at least here in Canada, gave me no choice but to look elsewhere for my future mobile needs.

Had a similar experience with BB in 2012 and haven't looked back since, pretty much going to be the same with WM at least on the short term level which will more than likely equate to 2-3 years min, for me MS needs to have a proven record for a lengthy period of time before I'll commit again, if their present traits continue it'll never be.

Enjoy your G4. Mine is coming later on in the week.

I agree that until MSFT shows consistency over time, i wouldn't come back full time either. But the truth is that if there is a x86 phone in the future, it further splits the line between ARM and x86 processors, which will lead to another scenario like this one.

Tech is like that, i guess...still, this current bump in the road won't make me enjoy my M8 any less if .164 is the last update it'll ever receive...

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'll not do a thing with my 925 ... I'll get it out and use it once in a while because it's such a fantastic device ... I will not poison it with Win10. Still my overall fave Windows mobile device.

Blackadder_100

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I'll not do a thing with my 925 ... I'll get it out and use it once in a while because it's such a fantastic device ... I will not poison it with Win10. Still my overall fave Windows mobile device.
Couldn't agree more...in my opinion the best looking WP ever with a great camera and the perfect size for me. Was lucky to find a brand new factory unlocked UK one. Not interested in Win10 as it works perfectly on 8.1 and I have the HERE suite of apps which I understand are being discontinued in Win10. Will keep this beauty going as long as possible!

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

Never owned/used a 925 but I'm sure it is still a capable device as many older WPs seem to be, my Ativ S holds its own over my other two and is actually a better performer in daily use, camera definitely falls short but isn’t overly terrible IMO...

Not sure I'm willing to install W10M on my 830 either due to earlier experiences, many are claiming success with various builds on their 830s yet the same is true on the negative side, the inconsistencies that abound here with same/similar devices is one of the big reasons to hold off for me, not so sure things have improved enough to better my experience over the past but hopefully a FW update can address things and then we might give it another go.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
If i wasn't trying to keep my number of devices down to three, I'd get a 925 and run Windows 8.0 on it. Seriously.

Why that far back? That's the version of the OS i liked the most. Sure, it had a ton of flaws, but album art on lockscreen was awesome. I liked the flow of the tiles, how clean and seemingly uncompromising the UI was. 8.1 was OK, but i felt too many compromises were starting to be made. 10 is still nice, but doesn't move me the same way 8.0 did...

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
If i wasn't trying to keep my number of devices down to three, I'd get a 925 and run Windows 8.0 on it. Seriously.
Me is a fan of the 925 too.
I would have given it to the wife but she wouldn't have appreciated it :love:

One good thing about retiring a phone is I won't have to watch it die in my hand or by a fall.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Me is a fan of the 925 too.
I would have given it to the wife but she wouldn't have appreciated it :love:

One good thing about retiring a phone is I won't have to watch it die in my hand or by a fall.

My two favorite WP8 phones are the 8X and the 925. I have a great respect for the 920, and I still have some pictures from that phone, but I loved me some 8X and 925. My favorite Windows phones so far are (in order):

Samsung Focus S, Lumia 925, HTC 8X, HTC Mozart, Lumia 920, HTC M8, HTC Titan.

None of these will see Windows 10, except for the M8 via insiders. Just sad all around, but this is why I didn't buy a 950 or XL...they're nice but lack personality and soul for me. All the devices listed above I truly enjoyed because they had some quirk about them that made them personal. From the toughness of the 920 to the sexy designs of the 8X and 925 to the raw industrial big screen feel of the Titan to the simple ruggedness of the Focus S to the compact nature of the Mozart, these were my favorites.

For the record the HTC Touch Diamond is my all time favorite Windows based phone. A distant second and third place lies the HTC Kaiser and the Xperia X1...then comes the list I mentioned above.

It's just sad all around now, but I guess if you're vested in the MSFT ecosystem, there's a lot to look forward to still...

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Goodness MSFT!
That's a lot of miles driven on the Windows highway!

I think there's a lot of old time respect in this forum for Windows.
The silent majority if you will understands the situation.

Many here might stand as geeks first and users second perhaps.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
My two favorite WP8 phones are the 8X and the 925. I have a great respect for the 920, and I still have some pictures from that phone, but I loved me some 8X and 925. My favorite Windows phones so far are (in order):

Samsung Focus S, Lumia 925, HTC 8X, HTC Mozart, Lumia 920, HTC M8, HTC Titan.

None of these will see Windows 10, except for the M8 via insiders. Just sad all around, but this is why I didn't buy a 950 or XL...they're nice but lack personality and soul for me. All the devices listed above I truly enjoyed because they had some quirk about them that made them personal. From the toughness of the 920 to the sexy designs of the 8X and 925 to the raw industrial big screen feel of the Titan to the simple ruggedness of the Focus S to the compact nature of the Mozart, these were my favorites.

For the record the HTC Touch Diamond is my all time favorite Windows based phone. A distant second and third place lies the HTC Kaiser and the Xperia X1...then comes the list I mentioned above.

It's just sad all around now, but I guess if you're vested in the MSFT ecosystem, there's a lot to look forward to still...

I never knew anything about the legacy Windows Mobile, other than the fact that Ozzy Osbourne did an advert for the Samsung Jack.

I've recently learned that XDA was originally an HTC Windows Mobile device model, not just the name of the website.

My mom's neighbor had the Samsung Jack until 2012.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I never knew anything about the legacy Windows Mobile, other than the fact that Ozzy Osbourne did an advert for the Samsung Jack.

I've recently learned that XDA was originally an HTC Windows Mobile device model, not just the name of the website.

My mom's neighbor had the Samsung Jack until 2012.

I remember that ad series by Ozzy. Hilarious.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Goodness MSFT!
That's a lot of miles driven on the Windows highway!

I think there's a lot of old time respect in this forum for Windows.
The silent majority if you will understands the situation.

Many here might stand as geeks first and users second perhaps.

Agreed. That's why when I hear the folks who don't know the history have hissy fits, I just laugh...

First portable Windows device: Dell Axim X50. Wanted a Palm Tungsten but liked the Axim a lot more. First Windows Mobile phone device - HTC Touch. Bought a green one and changed the housing myself to white. Gorgeous thing on a hideously washed out screen. Upgraded to a HTC Touch Diamond and loved that phone - except for the 4GB internal. I kept wanting it to be 8GB. That notification light? Genius! That's where I first heard the name Scott Croyle from, as HTC had just teamed up with the design company and the Touch Diamond was HTC's first true solo brand hit.

I used to lurk in XDA back in those days, when custom ROMs on Windows was the ****. They tricked out Manilla - the HTC interface over Windows that debuted with the HTC Touch which is the grandfather of HTC Sense on Android - in such a way that it was uber useful and you hated going into Windows proper. When MSFT rebooted Windows phone 7 and locked it down, most of the good chefs jumped to Android, changing the dynamic of XDA permanently.

Been around man, too long...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. That's why when I hear the folks who don't know the history have hissy fits, I just laugh...

First portable Windows device: Dell Axim X50. Wanted a Palm Tungsten but liked the Axim a lot more. First Windows Mobile phone device - HTC Touch. Bought a green one and changed the housing myself to white. Gorgeous thing on a hideously washed out screen. Upgraded to a HTC Touch Diamond and loved that phone - except for the 4GB internal. I kept wanting it to be 8GB. That notification light? Genius! That's where I first heard the name Scott Croyle from, as HTC had just teamed up with the design company and the Touch Diamond was HTC's first true solo brand hit.

I used to lurk in XDA back in those days, when custom ROMs on Windows was the ****. They tricked out Manilla - the HTC interface over Windows that debuted with the HTC Touch which is the grandfather of HTC Sense on Android - in such a way that it was uber useful and you hated going into Windows proper. When MSFT rebooted Windows phone 7 and locked it down, most of the good chefs jumped to Android, changing the dynamic of XDA permanently.

Been around man, too long...

Yep! I learned that legacy Windows Mobile was pretty much Android before Android was a thing.

Windows Mobile was THE platform for all the geeks and tinkerers.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
People who've been around remember what Manilla and SPB Mobile Shell are. Why the Sony X1 created waves and the X2 was OK, but ultimately a flop and Sony never made another Windows phone. Why Samsung's Omnia line was still well respected. And why the HTC Touch Diamond HD was the first true big screen Windows phone with SD card support that made watching movies, and playing music on the go cool BEFORE it was cool.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Yep! I learned that legacy Windows Mobile was pretty much Android before Android was a thing.

Windows Mobile was THE platform for all the geeks and tinkerers.

There's stuff in legacy Windows Mobile that modern OSes don't do and is incredibly useful. I saw good chefs tweak the old hardware to the point where it ran buttery smooth. People ported Manilla on non HTC devices. On Manilla we used to add and remove tabs the same way you do on Android home screens now, but this wasn't in stock Manilla. A lot of the HTC color schemes in modern Sense chefs were doing that in Manilla for years.

HTC used to listen to devs back then. Those were the days...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster