Why is Canada so great?

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I can give you reasons why it's not great.

The CRTC. Regulates Canadian broadcasting and telecommunications. They allow the big 3 companies to maintain their monopolies and overcharge customers for internet/telephones. They have countless times refused to allow U.S. companies to purchase Spectrum because the big 3 telcos complained they could not compete. But really, competition is what this place needs.

The CRTC requires Netflix has a certain percentage of Canadian content. So netflix is forced not to license many shows/movies to maintain a proper ratio. Licensing is overcharged as well. The problem is that if Canadian content was good people would want to watch it, but for the most part it's lacking. And forcing this content on users isn't going to make it any better.

Products are required to have bilingual packaging/languages/stickers etc... and as a result everything comes to Canada way later. It's understandable that we are a bilingual country. But I don't think it affects anyone because the majority of us speak English. The majority of people in Quebec included. There are very small parts of Quebec where people refuse to speak English, they are typically called separatists.

Those are just a few of the downsides when speaking tech/services. :) Other than that it is a great place.

Thud Hardsmack

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
The CRTC requires Netflix has a certain percentage of Canadian content. So netflix is forced not to license many shows/movies to maintain a proper ratio. Licensing is overcharged as well. The problem is that if Canadian content was good people would want to watch it, but for the most part it's lacking. And forcing this content on users isn't going to make it any better.

This might show some differences between Canadian and American viewers - my wife and I were amused when we noticed quite a few of the shows we were watching were Canadian productions. It actually got to a point where we'd start watching a show, get hooked, start looking into it and one of us would utter "yep, Canadian".

Most of the things I'd list have already been posted, so I'll give Dan Aykroyd, Mike Myers, Jim Carrey, and Seth Rogan honorable mention.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Products are required to have bilingual packaging/languages/stickers etc... and as a result everything comes to Canada way later. It's understandable that we are a bilingual country. But I don't think it affects anyone because the majority of us speak English. The majority of people in Quebec included. There are very small parts of Quebec where people refuse to speak English, they are typically called separatists.

I would have thought this was true until I saw the packaging in Europe. It's multilingual. So that's not really an excuse. I think population is the biggest issue with Canada. Being such a large country but such a tiny population in comparison. Being close to the US which has a very large population has caused more issues for Canada than anything else with trade policies seeming one way. Australia suffers in a similar fashion except they don't have the issue of the US and is closer to the Asian markets, which helps in a way.

The US has caused more harm for the Canadian economy and products situation than it has helped. Some of the past policies really made a mess for Canada in that way. I was quite surprised by a few things in Canada when I was last there a couple of years back. It still sits in the shadow of the US too much.

The monopolies that exist also cause issues there which is probably the number one reason for the problems with tech.

Last edited:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Canadians seem to make do with what they have.
A lot of lazy clowns in the US think money is the key to a successful existence.
^^^
In my book that's a load of bull.
Hard work and a sweaty brow mean success.

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Every time I hear about Canada, it's always good news... I wish I could say the same about the US... I need a 2 week vacation somewhere in Canada.😌

Last edited:

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
If anyone says Canada sucks, you can say this (paraphrasing a copypasta):

Canada isn't so great? Are you kidding me? When was the last time you saw a country with such ability and movement with attractions at Niagara Falls? Canada puts the continent in another level and we will be blessed if we ever see a country with such a passion and ability for the world again. Mexic0 breaks records. America breaks records. Canada breaks the rules. You can keep your statistics, I prefer the Tim Horton's.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Why is Canada so great? Because, it isn't part of a country in which nearly half of the population thinks that a racist, sexist, narcissistic, egotistical, sociopathic, character-disordered person who brags about assaulting women should be president. :(
Not to be blatantly political or anything... Ha ha
I think the scenery there is nice, too. :D

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Canada gives us: Snowbirds in South Florida. Thanks guys, I really enjoy driving at 35mph on I-95 for 6 months a year.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss