Information Security

Leslielbk

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
It was recently pointed out to me that I may be too casual with my information; putting my full name in a post, for example. I was only giving it to that specific person, however, it was a public forum and I deleted it. I realize I was/am perhaps too "trusting" or at least unconcerned when apparently, as this individual pointed out, "don't do that ever" should be my policy.
Now I'm considering how vulnerable any information beyond mistakes like that could be. Could someone, for instance, track me down when I use an alias like we do here? What about other information - seeing bing/edge searches, visited pages (like advertisers do), saved favorites, let alone private data stored on the phone itself?
I'm probably taking some kind of huge risk just asking about this here...but again, I don't know. I'm wondering if I need "security software" or some such. Thanks for your help.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
It was recently pointed out to me that I may be too casual with my information; putting my full name in a post, for example. I was only giving it to that specific person, however, it was a public forum and I deleted it. I realize I was/am perhaps too "trusting" or at least unconcerned when apparently, as this individual pointed out, "don't do that ever" should be my policy.
Now I'm considering how vulnerable any information beyond mistakes like that could be. Could someone, for instance, track me down when I use an alias like we do here? What about other information - seeing bing/edge searches, visited pages (like advertisers do), saved favorites, let alone private data stored on the phone itself?
I'm probably taking some kind of huge risk just asking about this here...but again, I don't know. I'm wondering if I need "security software" or some such. Thanks for your help.

What you cannot post online is critical information like bank account details, personal details, family details, physical location - anything that can be used by fraudsters to pretend to be you. Having your full name in a forum is okay as long as you're posting within the rules of this forum

Leslielbk

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Forgot to ask about the physical location. I wondered about that, too. I don't want to get too comfortable and be careless.

So no to the additional protective-ware?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Forgot to ask about the physical location. I wondered about that, too. I don't want to get too comfortable and be careless.

So no to the additional protective-ware?

Moved to Off topic section.

Well, I've used my name online before and all that jazz, its a matter of context and stuff.
Typically here, we just remove phone numbers, emails, and IMEI's from posts because its best that they not be public.

Now, technically:
If you use that username elsewhere, people could tie together accounts you have and make a profile of sorts. If other stuff is accessible, like your email address and Facebook if its tied together, it can come together to make an eerie picture of you. But that's just from what is public.

Bing/Edge searches are private regardless. I suppose I could see them if I had access to your phone or MS account, but that requires breaking in, etc.

Visited pages aren't public, but advertisers have the infrastructure to make it happen, not someone like me.

As for favorites and saved data, I wouldn't worry as of now. Also, security software cannot really compensate for the human factor. Just be aware of what you do.
Actually, I'm not sure any such security thing exists.

However, while we do leave a trail of breadcrumbs on the internet (someone could probably find out I also have an account on GSM-Forums), that would take manpower. You'll have to Google, draw connections, have an interest in analyzing this person, etc.

And frankly, I don't believe many people on here care. No offense, but we're all just random joes on the net. But of course, there's no dearth of horror stories.

Leslielbk

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the move. wasn't sure where put my post. Reassuring to hear from somebody more techsaavy than myself, that I'm OK as long as I don't do something super stupid. I'm not particularly worried about this site per se but I'm all over out there. I really do know nobody gives a rats##* about me but good grief we're bombarded with scary stories. In my work we're hit with a new security product to buy every day. You took alot of time to explain it - thanks for that.

And my picture is eerie already 👾

Coyotekisses

May 21, 2016
Visit site
Run a Google search of your name and your email address. There are various ways to reduce your digital footprint, levels of which depends on what you're trying to avoid (Other users, Fraudsters, Advertising / Commercial tracking, Government tracking). Is there anything you are concerned about in paricular?

Leslielbk

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I ran a name search but not the email search. I'll do that too. I'm going to create a list of concerns and come back to you. Thank you!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo