IPhone or Android for Microphile

valeriolucciola

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Although I love windows phone, I'm not as stoked about it as I was when I first got my Lumia 920 or surface pro. I still love OneDrive and outlook.com and Xbox but I think I want a new flagship phone and Microsoft has dropped the ball in that department. But their apps and services on other devices are supposedly coming along well. So I was wondering which non-windows mobile OS provides the best experience for a Microphile like me? Id still like to stick with all things Microsoft (outlook contacts, calendar, OneDrive autosync, etc.) on my new device even if the device prefers I use their stuff. I don't want to have to jailbreak or root or void warrantees. So which is really better for me?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A Windows Phone.

That "new" shine pretty much wears off anything a while after you get it. So when you go get that shiny new Android handset and then something better inevitably gets released, how are you going to feel with your older phone? Are you going to be happy waiting an unknown amount of time for the next major version of Android to be released to your phone and have that "left behind" frustration?

Windows Phone seems like a good fit to you, it seems prudent to stick with it. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
A Windows Phone.

That "new" shine pretty much wears off anything a while after you get it. So when you go get that shiny new Android handset and then something better inevitably gets released, how are you going to feel with your older phone? Are you going to be happy waiting an unknown amount of time for the next major version of Android to be released to your phone and have that "left behind" frustration?

Windows Phone seems like a good fit to you, it seems prudent to stick with it. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.
No offense, but I'd humbly disagree.

I've gained: apps for all 3 of my banks, local grocery stores (including discounts only available to app users), mobile payment (Android Pay), ability to listen to lossless music files ripped from my CD collection with a DAC, multiple browsers (I use Chrome, Firefox, and Firefox Nightly), Amazon Prime Video, Amazon Prime Music, official local sports team apps, Starbucks.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well that's fine. If the OP had complained of an app gap, then I'd always recommend to consider other platforms. OP appears to be moving simply because there's no flagship devices that are currently preferred.

valeriolucciola

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Well that's fine. If the OP had complained of an app gap, then I'd always recommend to consider other platforms. OP appears to be moving simply because there's no flagship devices that are currently preferred.

Its not just the app gap but certain apps like the Weight Watchers app and carrier availability. My GF is on Verizon and I'm switching. I can't afford a Lumia 950 unsubsidized. Then there's the lost features of windows 8.1 that I used to live by like the quiet hours turning on and off with my busy times listed on my calendar and seamless picture messaging (I've had threads ruined on w10m due to that bug). I was looking at the galaxy s7 for the low light camera and sunlight readability but I know iOS typically has better apps and similar security as w10m.

valeriolucciola

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
No offense, but I'd humbly disagree.

I've gained: apps for all 3 of my banks, local grocery stores (including discounts only available to app users), mobile payment (Android Pay), ability to listen to lossless music files ripped from my CD collection with a DAC, multiple browsers (I use Chrome, Firefox, and Firefox Nightly), Amazon Prime Video, Amazon Prime Music, official local sports team apps, Starbucks.

Well said.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss