PSA: Beware of buying the Mi Box from Walmart

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
My Amazon Firestick could no longer get a signal for some odd reason so I decided to replace it with the Mi Box.
mi-box_01.jpg

I found these at Walmart, grabbed it from the shelf and took it to the counter. I plunked down the 70 bucks plus tax and the Wal-Mart dude went about unlocking that spider net security thing and stuck it in the bag. I got home and opened to box and I about fell out. The box was empty. Which is really odd since I watched him remove the security stuff. Now my problem is convincing the people at Walmart that they sold me an empty box.

After a bit of explaining my case, the manager said I should go back and grab another one which I did. There were about 6 or 7 boxes on the shelf and the first one I picked up felt like the one I had. Out of curiosity, I grabbed another and he had some weight mine did not have. I grabbed another and it was light too. So I took what I had and went back to Customer service. They removed all 3 security bands and only one had the Mi Box in it. The others were empty.

I got lucky. But beware if you decide to get one, that it has the plastic on it. Mine did not have the plastic, only the security band.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I remember once buying a Linksys 54 "G" wireless router at Best Buy, sealed in shrink wrap. Opened the box and inside was a dirty scratched up old D-Link "B" router.

Inside job definitely, or a return they didn't properly verify. Best Buy is known for putting shrink wrap on returned packages and putting right back on the shelf as "new" stock.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
A long time ago, probably in or around 1999, I bought a camera at Walmart. I took it home to discover an empty box. I called them right away and told them what I found. I was told to bring it right back in. It seems I was given the box to a camera that was on display. They gave me a new box, thankfully with a camera inside this time!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I remember once buying a Linksys 54 "G" wireless router at Best Buy, sealed in shrink wrap. Opened the box and inside was a dirty scratched up old D-Link "B" router.

Inside job definitely, or a return they didn't properly verify. Best Buy is known for putting shrink wrap on returned packages and putting right back on the shelf as "new" stock.

LOL. I picked up a cordless phone from Fry's Electronics about 5 years ago. It was shrink wrapped and on the shelf with the others. Got it home and set it up and as I went through the device, I saw these phone numbers and calls on it. I'm seeing names like Grandma and Jose on my phone and I don't know any Jose calling me and grandma has gone on to glory YEARS ago.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I used to see humans at Walmart opening stuff in the store a lot.

Watched an older lady my age open a bottle of dressing, taste it then screw the cap back and put it back on the shelf.
My wife nudged me one day saying look at those girls putting on make-up on in the isle then returning the packages to the shelves.
Watched a raggedy dude guzzle a couple of beers an put the cans back in the cartons.

Walmart has it all :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes