10-13-2018 11:33 AM
1,353 ... 4546474849 ...
tools
    Decided to try my luck...its the 2017 8. Interesstingly I am able to make WiFi calls on T-Mobile which is cool. Nice little device I like it despite I'm normally a non-android user.
    Hmm, please share your impressions...somewhere.
    fatclue_98, Guytronic and mark233 like this.
    03-02-2018 02:06 PM
    Hmm, please share your impressions...somewhere.
    Definitely.
    03-02-2018 02:16 PM
    03-02-2018 05:50 PM
    Awesome! That's my favourite colour. 🐼
    libra89, worldspy99 and fatclue_98 like this.
    03-02-2018 06:11 PM
    03-03-2018 01:16 AM
    Something to see things up close and personal. Looks like I'll be rekindling my old hobby of plastic scale plane models!!

wp_20180303_16_38_07_pro.jpg

(that's a Nokia 435, belongs to my inlaws. She's not an apps person, so its perfect for her, Very zippy on W8.1)
    03-03-2018 04:43 AM
    Thanks for sharing!
    fatclue_98 and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-03-2018 09:04 AM
    An external Blu-ray burner.

03-05-2018 05:50 PM
    Wow, I didn’t know Pioneer was still around. Is it still a premium brand?
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    03-05-2018 06:15 PM
    Decided to try my luck...its the 2017 8. Interestingly I am able to make WiFi calls on T-Mobile which is cool. Nice little device I like it despite I'm normally a non-android user.

For some reason tapatalk kept bombing out while attaching the photo, probably the size... so I just snapped some with the XL :) so you can see more than just the box.
    Let me know how it goesbafter you've really broken it in! I'm been seriously thinking of getting one myself...
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    03-05-2018 06:41 PM
    Wow, I didn’t know Pioneer was still around. Is it still a premium brand?
    Yep, they're still around. I got a Pioneer head unit for my old car last year. Since then, I replaced the car, so I don't need the head unit.

This Blu-ray burner comes with useless PowerDVD and PowerDirector software installation media. I use MakeMKV, Handbrake and VLC Player, so I didn't bother to install the software that was included.

The Blu-ray burner was $87 from Amazon. Pioneer has more expensive Blu-ray burners, but this one suits my needs.
    Last edited by Laura Knotek; 03-05-2018 at 07:34 PM.
    fatclue_98 and libra89 like this.
    03-05-2018 07:24 PM
    Yep, they're still around. I got a Pioneer head unit for my old car last year. Since then, I replaced the car, so I don't need the head unit.

This Blu-ray burner comes with useless PowerDVD and PowerDirector software installation media. I use MakeMKV, Handbrake and VLC Player, so I didn't bother to install the software that was included.

The Blu-ray burner was $87 from Amazon. Pioneer has more expensive Blu-ray burners, but this one suits my needs.
    OMG! PowerDVD came with an eMachines computer I bought c.2000 with Win98SE. Did it come with a NetZero or CompuServe disc too?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-05-2018 07:56 PM
    Broke down and bought some Mixed Reality gear. img_20180305_184830.jpgimg_20180305_184859.jpg
    03-05-2018 09:18 PM
    Let me know how it goesbafter you've really broken it in! I'm been seriously thinking of getting one myself...
    More about the Nokia 8 from my opinion.
    For now the camera is mediocre for a flagship quality device...but I am a regular Lumia 950 XL user. The focus is a bit buggy and it struggles in low light of course. Shots seem saturated too. But I am not an expert at judging pics. It does have camera features though found in most newer phones (bokeh etc.). I have substituted back to my 950 XL today as I needed to take some pics for a special occasion, but I will switch back to the Nokia 8 tomorrow.

Glance sometimes stops working, but I am not sure what causes it. It is random too. Pull it out of my pocket and just does not work. Hit the power button twice to turn the screen on and off and it is working again.

Everything else about it is solid and as expected. The quality of the sound output and loudness is outstanding on it for media playback, I am blown away at this and how loud it gets. The call quality output on the speaker phone is not so good or random. Sometimes clear and somewhat loud and sometimes like the caller is distant. That could probably and hopefully be due to it not having US carrier support as far as Android goes. The battery life is great for being a smaller battery. The screen is excellent.
    03-05-2018 09:36 PM
    OMG! PowerDVD came with an eMachines computer I bought c.2000 with Win98SE. Did it come with a NetZero or CompuServe disc too?
    LOL! No, those others weren't included.
    libra89 and fatclue_98 like this.
    03-05-2018 09:53 PM
    More about the Nokia 8 from my opinion.
    For now the camera is mediocre for a flagship quality device...but I am a regular Lumia 950 XL user. The focus is a bit buggy and it struggles in low light of course. Shots seem saturated too. But I am not an expert at judging pics. It does have camera features though found in most newer phones (bokeh etc.). I have substituted back to my 950 XL today as I needed to take some pics for a special occasion, but I will switch back to the Nokia 8 tomorrow.

Glance sometimes stops working, but I am not sure what causes it. It is random too. Pull it out of my pocket and just does not work. Hit the power button twice to turn the screen on and off and it is working again.

Everything else about it is solid and as expected. The quality of the sound output and loudness is outstanding on it for media playback, I am blown away at this and how loud it gets. The call quality output on the speaker phone is not so good or random. Sometimes clear and somewhat loud and sometimes like the caller is distant. That could probably and hopefully be due to it not having US carrier support as far as Android goes. The battery life is great for being a smaller battery. The screen is excellent.
    Thanks for the feedback. I don't mind middling camera performance - Essential phone is just current daily driver - I was interested due to the design, microSD support, audio chops and stock experience for the same price as an Essential phone.

I'm curious to see if HMD ports some of the Camera Pro app features to the 8 to see how the camera fares at this point.
    03-05-2018 10:01 PM
    Thanks for the feedback. I don't mind middling camera performance - Essential phone is just current daily driver - I was interested due to the design, microSD support, audio chops and stock experience for the same price as an Essential phone.

I'm curious to see if HMD ports some of the Camera Pro app features to the 8 to see how the camera fares at this point.
    Ya I'm betting it and a fw push would do this device justice.
    Edit: I owned the Essential phone at one point too. For me it beats out the Essential phone but ties it in the camera Dept. Except the Nokia has ois which is awesome.
    03-05-2018 10:03 PM
    Edit: I owned the Essential phone at one point too. For me it beats out the Essential phone but ties it in the camera Dept. Except the Nokia has ois which is awesome.
    Yeah, thanks for this. I'm definitely interested in one. If I do score one, I'll post my own thoughts here.
    03-05-2018 10:07 PM
    By all accounts, it looks like Nokia has lost some of its camera mojo. I picked up a 6 in early January and returned it after a few days. I knew full well that the performance with the SD430 was going to be problematic but with enough RAM, who knows? But the camera was atrocious. Focus was an afterthought so that put the kibosh on that experience. I'm interested in seeing if the 2018 version has improved the imaging now that it has a competent processor but I'm not holding my breath seeing as your mini review of the 8 isn't exactly glowing.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-06-2018 06:10 AM
    By all accounts, it looks like Nokia has lost some of its camera mojo. I picked up a 6 in early January and returned it after a few days. I knew full well that the performance with the SD430 was going to be problematic but with enough RAM, who knows? But the camera was atrocious. Focus was an afterthought so that put the kibosh on that experience. I'm interested in seeing if the 2018 version has improved the imaging now that it has a competent processor but I'm not holding my breath seeing as your mini review of the 8 isn't exactly glowing.
    Seems Nokia is getting better with each device iteration. I am just wondering if it is them having to redo RnD in the camera dept. being on Android or maybe a lot of the Lumia qualities can't be used...
    It is interesting in the System About Phone section that there are two sections that caught my eye that I usually don't see on an Android device. Camera firmware version and Touch panel firmware version. My first thought is that when they eventually send the Nokia "ProCam app" update, that they might send a FW update too, or at some point. My second thought is why is it taking so long...
    Yes, we will have to wait and see.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-06-2018 07:52 AM
    Four out of my last five phones has been Lumia flagships, and over here I pay full price. No carrier carries WP. its just the way it is. So I'm not keen on Nokia 8S, cos its gonna cost a bomb... but keeping my options/eye on the N7plus... seems to be getting good impression so far.

... I'm just being patient.. Sticking with W10 until the oxygen is .... gasp... gasp... gasp....
    worldspy99 and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-07-2018 02:10 AM
    Four out of my last five phones has been Lumia flagships, and over here I pay full price. No carrier carries WP. its just the way it is. So I'm not keen on Nokia 8S, cos its gonna cost a bomb... but keeping my options/eye on the N7plus... seems to be getting good impression so far.

... I'm just being patient.. Sticking with W10 until the oxygen is .... gasp... gasp... gasp....
    I still have not shut off my 950 XL. Is next to me charging right now....;)
    raycpl and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-07-2018 03:57 AM
    Mine is sitting on a wireless charger ...

... !
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-07-2018 10:55 AM
    Meh so far but it's only been a couple of hours.

img_20180307_112120.jpg
    MSFTisMIA and libra89 like this.
    03-07-2018 02:41 PM
    Meh so far but it's only been a couple of hours.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180307_112120.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	138821
    Please let us know how you like it. What colour is the watch and the band?
    fatclue_98 and libra89 like this.
    03-07-2018 05:08 PM
1,353 ... 4546474849 ...