Post pictures of your latest purchase

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I see you have a new toy. I thought about getting one but opted out . Enjoy! Love to hear your thoughts on the device.
Yeah, I finally caved. I'm going to play around with it for a couple of days. I'll leave a few comments about it after that. My first impressions, though, are wow and wow! It is very reminiscent of how the 1520 felt in the hand, minus the weight and pointy corners. Blue shift is definitely there though. It's really not noticeable unless you have a solid background and you're intentionally looking for it. But it's there. I have none of the other reported issues so far. I'll check back in after a couple of days.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Congrats! Welcome to the Pixel club! I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions and thoughts. Love that color and the blue smaller Pixel that I have.
Thank you. 😁 I actually dropped my Essential Phone and chipped the screen. ☹️ In a fit of anger, I ordered this. Ha ha
I'm glad I finally got the panda edition as well, but I'm really jealous of the color choices that the P2 offers. Why the XL is only offered in two colors is beyond me. I'll leave a few thoughts here after a couple of days. I've yet to even use the camera, which I'm expecting to be good.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I finally caved. I'm going to play around with it for a couple of days. I'll leave a few comments about it after that. My first impressions, though, are wow and wow! It is very reminiscent of how the 1520 felt in the hand, minus the weight and pointy corners. Blue shift is definitely there though. It's really not noticeable unless you have a solid background and you're intentionally looking for it. But it's there. I have none of the other reported issues so far. I'll check back in after a couple of days.

I had the all black one for about a day or two before returning it. No other reason, just wanted to try it out is all. Does the white one have the matte like texture on the paint job too?

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I had the all black one for about a day or two before returning it. No other reason, just wanted to try it out is all. Does the white one have the matte like texture on the paint job too?
Honestly, for the price of it, I can't recommend it to anyone. Sure, the camera is excellent, but it's not worth the price difference when compared to what the Essential Phone is going for now days. And I still really like the EP, even though the smaller size of it took some getting used too. The P2XL is super fast, but not double the cost of another phone fast. To me, it feels like a modernized, better spec'ed1520 running Android. If I remember correctly, I paid around $400 for a brand new 1520, back in the day. I don't see anything about the P2XL that warrants a double the cost or more price tag of the 1520. It's definitely better than a 1520, but not twice as much. I kind of feel like Google took the Apple approach with the new Pixels. The new iPhone has the emoji gimmick. The Pixels have the Storm Troopers-in-your-pictures gimmick. I get it though. It's difficult to routinely innovate a rectangular slab of glass on a six to eight month cycle. Software tricks can substitute until the next shift in phone hardware design occurs. And I use the word "tricks" lightly, as I know writing quality software is difficult. Don't get me wrong, I really like this phone. But the growing fad of super expensive phones is growing old very quickly.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Sorry about my lengthy reply above. Ha ha
To answer your question, the panda does not have the textured back. I think that's why it reminds me of my white 1520. It's got that Nokia, plastic feel....but not the Nokia tank-build plastic feel. 😂😂

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Thank you. I actually dropped my Essential Phone and chipped the screen. ☹️ In a fit of anger, I ordered this. Ha ha
I'm glad I finally got the panda edition as well, but I'm really jealous of the color choices that the P2 offers. Why the XL is only offered in two colors is beyond me. I'll leave a few thoughts here after a couple of days. I've yet to even use the camera, which I'm expecting to be good.

Ouch. I'm sorry about your Essential phone screen. I totally get it since it was on sale.

I'll be looking forward to your thoughts.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Sorry about my lengthy reply above. Ha ha
To answer your question, the panda does not have the textured back. I think that's why it reminds me of my white 1520. It's got that Nokia, plastic feel....but not the Nokia tank-build plastic feel. ????????????

It is ok, you summed up the reason why I was only trying one out...

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Honestly, for the price of it, I can't recommend it to anyone. Sure, the camera is excellent, but it's not worth the price difference when compared to what the Essential Phone is going for now days. And I still really like the EP, even though the smaller size of it took some getting used too. The P2XL is super fast, but not double the cost of another phone fast. To me, it feels like a modernized, better spec'ed1520 running Android. If I remember correctly, I paid around $400 for a brand new 1520, back in the day. I don't see anything about the P2XL that warrants a double the cost or more price tag of the 1520. It's definitely better than a 1520, but not twice as much. I kind of feel like Google took the Apple approach with the new Pixels. The new iPhone has the emoji gimmick. The Pixels have the Storm Troopers-in-your-pictures gimmick. I get it though. It's difficult to routinely innovate a rectangular slab of glass on a six to eight month cycle. Software tricks can substitute until the next shift in phone hardware design occurs. And I use the word "tricks" lightly, as I know writing quality software is difficult. Don't get me wrong, I really like this phone. But the growing fad of super expensive phones is growing old very quickly.

I agree with this. If I had to go back to Android I would probably get an used Essential phone. Once they push Oreo to it, I imagine the features baked in at that point will be well worth its price.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. I actually dropped my Essential Phone and chipped the screen. ️ In a fit of anger, I ordered this. Ha ha
Haha...you and I have problems. I probably would have done the same thing if that was me! And the wife just rolls her eyes. Lol

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Congratulations! ☺️ Please do a mini-review.
So here are some more first impressions. I can't say enough about the battery life, it's everything that's been talked about. It's been off the charger since 5:15 this morning and it's presently at 85%. It's a little after noon and I've worked this thing to death. My previous battery champ was the x3 and it would not be at this level, maybe 70% or so. Believe me, that's galactically stellar for my usage habits.

As for the phone itself, it's typical of a BlackBerry. Solid construction, nice grippy rear and a keyboard to die for. Not quite a Bold 9900 but worlds better than the Priv. The Passport was a different beast altogether so it's not worth comparing. It has the virtual trackpad capability as the Passport and it's such a treat if you're OCD like me and can't stand to see a smudged display. Speaking of, I would've liked to have seen a few more nits of brightness. It's not dim like a 950 but compared to most Xperias, it's dull - which could be said of just about any LCD out there. That may need some getting used to but that's my take.

For being a "mid-ranger" with its SD625, I'm not seeing any real drop in performance. Considering DroidBerrys are laden with more under the hood protections than other Androids, it feels more than satisfactory. Transitions are on par with any Android but you start seeing a nanosecond here and there when web browsing. Again, this is something I notice in BlackBerrys and not a measure of the hardware. The DTEK60 is the best DroidBerry I had used until now and even with its SD820 and 4GB of RAM, web browsing wasn't as quick as other apps. I mentioned before how the navigation buttons are pretty small and being sandwiched between the display and the keyboard, it's very easy to miss even when looking right at them. Muscle memory is slowly coming back as I'm typing and doing other functions without looking. I miss my Palm Treo and its physical nav buttons and the D-Pad. It's safe to say those are vanquished to history like the Dodo.

Being a Windows fan can leave you jaded as far as cameras are concerned so I'm left pretty meh about this one. Don't get me wrong, it's very good but next to my 950 XL, it's a welfare case. However, if I were to compare it to my Idol then the KeyONE would be a Pentax ME Super compared to the Idol's Kodak Instamatic. I read somewhere this has the same camera as the Pixel so I'm not surprised by the quality of the shots.

If anybody needs a phone with the best battery out there then look no further. Some will look at the specs and claim it's not worth it when compared to a OnePlus or a Huawei. That may be true, but in this instance it's definitely a case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. It's not light by any stretch, the feel in-hand is awesome and the hardware buttons have a nice profile and there's a tactile feel that's missing in more expensive phones. When you click a button, you know it. Anyhoo, that's my impression after 24 hours.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
@fatclue_98
How is the sound quality on it? (speakers and in call earpiece)

It seems TCL knows something about sound quality the others don't. It's not quite at the level of the Idol 4S in terms of volume and clarity but it's close. It's loud enough that you won't miss any notifications but there's some bass missing. The Red Hot Chili Pepper's "Dark Necessities" is a bass-heavy track and it doesn't come through very well.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Got one of these from the night market street vendor outside the hotel in Hat Yai

oziqUFQ.jpg

Got a tourist SIM for around 100baht.. unlimited 4G for a week...
Any one been here? .. need food recommendations..

... !

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Are you going to return?

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Are you going to return?
Probably not. I really like the phone, and after spending another day with it today, I've started to appreciate it more and more. Plus, the chip on my EP's screen would bother me too bad if I had to use it everyday. Actually looked on eBay for another Honor Note 8 too. 😂😂

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Probably not. I really like the phone, and after spending another day with it today, I've started to appreciate it more and more. Plus, the chip on my EP's screen would bother me too bad if I had to use it everyday. Actually looked on eBay for another Honor Note 8 too.
LOL! Don't u just love that phone? I thought u still had yours?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb