Post pictures of your latest purchase

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I didn’t know Pioneer was still around. Is it still a premium brand?
Yep, they're still around. I got a Pioneer head unit for my old car last year. Since then, I replaced the car, so I don't need the head unit.

This Blu-ray burner comes with useless PowerDVD and PowerDirector software installation media. I use MakeMKV, Handbrake and VLC Player, so I didn't bother to install the software that was included.

The Blu-ray burner was $87 from Amazon. Pioneer has more expensive Blu-ray burners, but this one suits my needs.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yep, they're still around. I got a Pioneer head unit for my old car last year. Since then, I replaced the car, so I don't need the head unit.

This Blu-ray burner comes with useless PowerDVD and PowerDirector software installation media. I use MakeMKV, Handbrake and VLC Player, so I didn't bother to install the software that was included.

The Blu-ray burner was $87 from Amazon. Pioneer has more expensive Blu-ray burners, but this one suits my needs.

OMG! PowerDVD came with an eMachines computer I bought c.2000 with Win98SE. Did it come with a NetZero or CompuServe disc too?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Let me know how it goesbafter you've really broken it in! I'm been seriously thinking of getting one myself...

More about the Nokia 8 from my opinion.
For now the camera is mediocre for a flagship quality device...but I am a regular Lumia 950 XL user. The focus is a bit buggy and it struggles in low light of course. Shots seem saturated too. But I am not an expert at judging pics. It does have camera features though found in most newer phones (bokeh etc.). I have substituted back to my 950 XL today as I needed to take some pics for a special occasion, but I will switch back to the Nokia 8 tomorrow.

Glance sometimes stops working, but I am not sure what causes it. It is random too. Pull it out of my pocket and just does not work. Hit the power button twice to turn the screen on and off and it is working again.

Everything else about it is solid and as expected. The quality of the sound output and loudness is outstanding on it for media playback, I am blown away at this and how loud it gets. The call quality output on the speaker phone is not so good or random. Sometimes clear and somewhat loud and sometimes like the caller is distant. That could probably and hopefully be due to it not having US carrier support as far as Android goes. The battery life is great for being a smaller battery. The screen is excellent.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
More about the Nokia 8 from my opinion.
For now the camera is mediocre for a flagship quality device...but I am a regular Lumia 950 XL user. The focus is a bit buggy and it struggles in low light of course. Shots seem saturated too. But I am not an expert at judging pics. It does have camera features though found in most newer phones (bokeh etc.). I have substituted back to my 950 XL today as I needed to take some pics for a special occasion, but I will switch back to the Nokia 8 tomorrow.

Glance sometimes stops working, but I am not sure what causes it. It is random too. Pull it out of my pocket and just does not work. Hit the power button twice to turn the screen on and off and it is working again.

Everything else about it is solid and as expected. The quality of the sound output and loudness is outstanding on it for media playback, I am blown away at this and how loud it gets. The call quality output on the speaker phone is not so good or random. Sometimes clear and somewhat loud and sometimes like the caller is distant. That could probably and hopefully be due to it not having US carrier support as far as Android goes. The battery life is great for being a smaller battery. The screen is excellent.
Thanks for the feedback. I don't mind middling camera performance - Essential phone is just current daily driver - I was interested due to the design, microSD support, audio chops and stock experience for the same price as an Essential phone.

I'm curious to see if HMD ports some of the Camera Pro app features to the 8 to see how the camera fares at this point.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. I don't mind middling camera performance - Essential phone is just current daily driver - I was interested due to the design, microSD support, audio chops and stock experience for the same price as an Essential phone.

I'm curious to see if HMD ports some of the Camera Pro app features to the 8 to see how the camera fares at this point.
Ya I'm betting it and a fw push would do this device justice.
Edit: I owned the Essential phone at one point too. For me it beats out the Essential phone but ties it in the camera Dept. Except the Nokia has ois which is awesome.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Edit: I owned the Essential phone at one point too. For me it beats out the Essential phone but ties it in the camera Dept. Except the Nokia has ois which is awesome.
Yeah, thanks for this. I'm definitely interested in one. If I do score one, I'll post my own thoughts here.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

By all accounts, it looks like Nokia has lost some of its camera mojo. I picked up a 6 in early January and returned it after a few days. I knew full well that the performance with the SD430 was going to be problematic but with enough RAM, who knows? But the camera was atrocious. Focus was an afterthought so that put the kibosh on that experience. I'm interested in seeing if the 2018 version has improved the imaging now that it has a competent processor but I'm not holding my breath seeing as your mini review of the 8 isn't exactly glowing.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
By all accounts, it looks like Nokia has lost some of its camera mojo. I picked up a 6 in early January and returned it after a few days. I knew full well that the performance with the SD430 was going to be problematic but with enough RAM, who knows? But the camera was atrocious. Focus was an afterthought so that put the kibosh on that experience. I'm interested in seeing if the 2018 version has improved the imaging now that it has a competent processor but I'm not holding my breath seeing as your mini review of the 8 isn't exactly glowing.

Seems Nokia is getting better with each device iteration. I am just wondering if it is them having to redo RnD in the camera dept. being on Android or maybe a lot of the Lumia qualities can't be used...
It is interesting in the System About Phone section that there are two sections that caught my eye that I usually don't see on an Android device. Camera firmware version and Touch panel firmware version. My first thought is that when they eventually send the Nokia "ProCam app" update, that they might send a FW update too, or at some point. My second thought is why is it taking so long...
Yes, we will have to wait and see.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Four out of my last five phones has been Lumia flagships, and over here I pay full price. No carrier carries WP. its just the way it is. So I'm not keen on Nokia 8S, cos its gonna cost a bomb... but keeping my options/eye on the N7plus... seems to be getting good impression so far.

... I'm just being patient.. Sticking with W10 until the oxygen is .... gasp... gasp... gasp....:amaze:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Four out of my last five phones has been Lumia flagships, and over here I pay full price. No carrier carries WP. its just the way it is. So I'm not keen on Nokia 8S, cos its gonna cost a bomb... but keeping my options/eye on the N7plus... seems to be getting good impression so far.

... I'm just being patient.. Sticking with W10 until the oxygen is .... gasp... gasp... gasp....:amaze:

I still have not shut off my 950 XL. Is next to me charging right now....;)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the club! Is this the regular one or the classic?

If you end up keeping it, I can suggest some cheap yet stylish straps...
I wanted the Classic but it didn't list a pedometer anywhere and the Sport specifically mentioned it. I don't beat up straps (shoot, I had a Band 2 for over 2 years before it cracked) so I should be good. This is a tool for me, not a fashion piece. Thanks and I'll keep it in mind if I do keep it. I'm sure I will because I couldn't stand one more day of the Apple Watch silencing my phone. Whoever in Cupertino thought that was a good idea was just as stoned as the Product Manager who approved it.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I wanted the Classic but it didn't list a pedometer anywhere and the Sport specifically mentioned it. I don't beat up straps (shoot, I had a Band 2 for over 2 years before it cracked) so I should be good. This is a tool for me, not a fashion piece. Thanks and I'll keep it in mind if I do keep it. I'm sure I will because I couldn't stand one more day of the Apple Watch silencing my phone. Whoever in Cupertino thought that was a good idea was just as stoned as the Product Manager who approved it.
That's surprising. The Sport and the Classic are virtually the same watch, outside of the casings. The classic uses 22mm standard straps (Galaxy S3 straps work fine as replacements), the sport version uses standard 20mm. Fortunately, the sport version uses the same straps as my Moto 360 42mm so I recycle my straps - metal, leather, silicone (I've got about 8-10 total).

As a OG Huawei watch owner, the biggest gripe I had with the sport version is the screen got smaller. Otherwise, it's a very nice upgrade. I too wanted the new Classic but settled on this because I had the straps to jazz it up. I use it like a tool as you do and keep it moving.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
That's surprising. The Sport and the Classic are virtually the same watch, outside of the casings. The classic uses 22mm standard straps (Galaxy S3 straps work fine as replacements), the sport version uses standard 20mm. Fortunately, the sport version uses the same straps as my Moto 360 42mm so I recycle my straps - metal, leather, silicone (I've got about 8-10 total).

As a OG Huawei watch owner, the biggest gripe I had with the sport version is the screen got smaller. Otherwise, it's a very nice upgrade. I too wanted the new Classic but settled on this because I had the straps to jazz it up. I use it like a tool as you do and keep it moving.

When I picked it up I was looking at the Classic just to see if there was something on the box about a pedometer and then it me - the Sport is noticeably lighter. The added heft of the Classic isn't exactly a deal breaker but the lightweight feel of the Sport takes some of the sting away from not getting the nicer looking watch. Let's be real, the Classic is a looker.

I also looked at the LG Watch Sport but that thing is butt-ugly and the Gear S3 Frontier is too big for my tastes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb