Post pictures of your latest purchase

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Thats nice.. Haven't bought ink or own a fountain pen in, erm, decades!!
Seriously, I can't remember the last time I actually handwrote half a page of anything!! My penmanship has gone to the dogs..

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Thats nice.. Haven't bought ink or own a fountain pen in, erm, decades!!
Seriously, I can't remember the last time I actually handwrote half a page of anything!! My penmanship has gone to the dogs..
I've used fountain pens for 39 years now. I started using them when I was in the 7th grade, since I found that I never got a sore hand whilst writing for lengthy time periods. I currently keep a journal, so the fountain pens and the inks get regular use.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Everyone here grew up with emphasis on handwriting...
I always admire my parents penmanship. My dad writes well, but tend to cramp as much as he can. During my uni-days in the 80s he writes using aerogrammes (yes, those things did exists!!). I think he could squeeze in twice as many words per in². .
My mum's writing was beautify. She had a couple of recipe books, she would meticulously copy recipes she likes in a 200pg hardcover exercise books.
Good fountain ink don't fully fade away or bleed/feather to the paper. I have a lot of old photographs from the 50s. It was common for people to write descriptions on the white border or the back of the photos. eg "Raymond's 1st time on the beach 17/06/62"

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Fountain pen ink
f8a37dec6febace40230e1d9bbe6db0e.jpg
Does that by any chance have some pearl in it?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
WP_20200905_18_00_01_Rich__highres.flash cropped.jpg

Still waiting for a new mount for the TV this replaces. That TV is moving upstairs. But these TVs are too big/bulky for me to hang myself so I'm waiting for the other mount to get both TVs mounted in one session. The existing mount the new TV will go on is inset between two studs and can hold 200 lbs. (new TV weighs 100 lbs.) even extended almost 3 feet from the wall for extreme side angling. The new mount for the old TV holds 176 lbs (old 80" Visio TV weighs 113 lbs.) but only extends 20 some inches.

Was a toss up between this LG and a Sony but still pissed at Sony for secretly rooting PCs years ago, so....

This LG has a 7 year warranty but had to jump thru hoops to get it. Bought at Costco and needed to use their Citi card to get 2 of those 7 years. So I applied during checkout expecting instant approval. But no. Spent hours on the phone with Costco first after unable to get to a person at Citi. Eventually, Costco got to a person at Citi and put me on the call. I had an old fraud alert which prevented the automatic card authorization. They expedited the approval while I was on the phone. I won't ever use the card anywhere but Costco for the 2% cash back. Update: won't even use it at Costco except for warranty extension. Turns out the cash back is payed annually with several ways to lose it. Will continue to take the 1.5% instant cash back on another card.

Next issue was delivery. Its central AZ. 120+ degrees the day before. I had received a vitamin shipment from Costco a week before and there was just one big blob in the bottle because everything melted together in the UPS truck. LG support chat said 120 degree limit for the TV and UPS trucks get 140+ in AZ summer. And the TV was going to be on the delivery truck all day (6:30 PM arrival). No contacts for the delivery service Costco uses for TVs so another two hours to get thru to Costco CS. They took over a half hour getting to a human at the delivery company. It took that person another half hour to confirm the truck was air conditioned. It wasn't. But I didn't burn myself on the box like some UPS deliveries so.... Plus, the owners manual says 140 degrees instead of 120 the LG CS claimed. Should be ok.

The new TV has WebOS for the "smart" stuff. I would probably prefer Roku but glad its not Apple, Amazon or Google Smart TV OSs. Will move the Roku device to this TV if I don't like what's built-in. The old TV has some home grown system from Visio which died on the vine and forced adding Amazon Fire 4K first and then upgrading to Roku.

This will be the first time in my life with more than one TV in the house. The old TV is going to a guest bedroom and also be a backup if the main TV is out of service for any reason.

Edit: picture of TV mounted on wall. For scale, light switch to left of TV is 4 feet from the floor. I'm 5' 11" and can barely touch the top of the screen.

Attachments

• LG TV on wall.jpg
    LG TV on wall.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Lol blob vitamins. Grab a spoon and treat it like jello!
Don't let my wife see that. She says my only fault is that I chew jello. Don't know why, but I do. And as you can tell, I hide my faults very well.

Anyway, I learned not to order on-line even in winter. When I returned the blob to the local Costco, the price there was lower for the replacements.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Talking about vitamins, I saw this when ordering my drinks at an eatery. Didn't realised "vitaminised" was a real word!!
e54158645bba77529b376bbd1b0e8574.jpg

me just saying

May 17, 2020
Visit site
just got finished setting up my new samsung active 2 watch. even used the phone to charge it - first time to use that feature. surprised as to how light the watch is compared to the gear s2 classic.

watch.jpg

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Well to no one's surprise, I bought a Duo. UPS dropped it off this afternoon and I got right into it. Sho 'nuff, I was greeted by the Day One update (which seemed to take forever to install). As I figured, there was a a learning curve to go through but not too bad. It's getting late so I'll be brief. The hardware is awesome, the camera blows chunks and I have no idea where all the bugginess is. The only bug I've seen is that I can't seem to change the notification sound in Outlook. The media selection app crashes every time. None of the Google apps does this, it's par for the course with Microsoft though.

As for the camera, I tried downloading the Open Camera app but it didn't work. The orientation was all over the place so I guess I'll just have to wait until MS updates it. Judging by the user reviews it will have to be at the top of their priority list. It would also be nice to see some of the options "regular" folks have for personalizing the MS Launcher. The icon pack they chose looks like a** in my opinion.

Not too shabby for a 1st generation device in spite of the price. A few tweaks here and there and they could have something special.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Well to no one's surprise, I bought a Duo. UPS dropped it off this afternoon and I got right into it. Sho 'nuff, I was greeted by the Day One update (which seemed to take forever to install). As I figured, there was a a learning curve to go through but not too bad. It's getting late so I'll be brief. The hardware is awesome, the camera blows chunks and I have no idea where all the bugginess is. The only bug I've seen is that I can't seem to change the notification sound in Outlook. The media selection app crashes every time. None of the Google apps does this, it's par for the course with Microsoft though.

As for the camera, I tried downloading the Open Camera app but it didn't work. The orientation was all over the place so I guess I'll just have to wait until MS updates it. Judging by the user reviews it will have to be at the top of their priority list. It would also be nice to see some of the options "regular" folks have for personalizing the MS Launcher. The icon pack they chose looks like a** in my opinion.

Not too shabby for a 1st generation device in spite of the price. A few tweaks here and there and they could have something special.
Hope you give us another review when the updates are done and you have played around with it adequately. I'm intrigued, for sure. Not gonna get one, but intrigued nonetheless..

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Ooh! Do you think you'll put a SIM in it, or not yet? I'm very curious to how this will work out for you.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Ooh! Do you think you'll put a SIM in it, or not yet? I'm very curious to how this will work out for you.
Test driving it today. The Outlook notification sound issue went away automagically, I took a couple of jobsite pics that actually didn't come out too shabby. I guess we're so used to oversaturated pictures from our premium smartphones that when something comes back as natural we think it's blah.

I'm very torn at this moment. On the one hand it's not the most user-friendly phone out there since you have to open it just to see who's calling and sometimes my hands are full. But on the other hand, I get tons of emails with attachments every day and that's when this rig shines. There's no two ways about it, the way the 2nd screen interacts with the apps is amazing. I used an LG V60 Dual Screen for a couple of weeks and it didn't come anywhere near as effective as the Duo. The 4:3 aspect ratio is the key to this, make no mistake.

I'm not sure this is a primary device to use telephony with, maybe a companion like the Palm from a couple of years ago to strictly handle phone calls? Too soon to decide whether to keep or send it back to Microsoft with a sign attached: Put a secondary display, even if it's just a sliver along the edge, to answer or reject calls without having to open it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo