Post pictures of your latest purchase

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Annnnnd just like that I've gone full Samsung.

(Sorry for the odd colored image, my Philips Hue is set to pinkish)
20201017_095304.jpg

So I've been looking to jump ship from my Versa 2 for a while now. It constantly disconnects from my phone which is really annoying. Unconfirmed, but I think it has trouble maintaining a connection when there's other Bluetooth devices actively being used because it often disconnects when I'm using my Bluetooth headphones.

The disconnects are annoying but what really burned was learning that Fitbit OS 5 isn't coming to the Versa 2 or earlier smartwatches. The Versa 2 isn't that old, and (as far as I can tell) not dramatically different hardware wise than the Fitbit 3 aside from the extra sensors. Maybe if the Versa 2 had a more robust software ecosystem then I wouldn't mind as much. Still, it left a bad taste in my mouth to cut support after only a year.

So to the Active 2 I went. It's a year old as well but even as recently as last month, Samsung was back porting Watch 3 features to the Active 2. And the software on the Active 2 is already so robust that occasionally updating the individual apps is good enough for me.

I bought it new-ish during Best Buy's recent "Black Friday" event. I got the open box version and I'm surprised at it's rather pristine condition. No scratches or major hardware flaws. Battery life should be able to get me about 2 and a half days (expected). And so far it's more comfortable than the Versa 2. Since the deal ended, I see that the open box price has gone up to $184, so the $162 I paid seems like a pretty solid deal.

Now I'm using a Samsung watch, Samsung earbuds, and a Samsung phone. I wasn't intentionally trying to go full Samsung. That's just sort of how things worked out.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

View attachment 142728

So I've been looking to jump ship from my Versa 2 for a while now. It constantly disconnects from my phone which is really annoying. Unconfirmed, but I think it has trouble maintaining a connection when there's other Bluetooth devices actively being used because it often disconnects when I'm using my Bluetooth headphones.

The disconnects are annoying but what really burned was learning that Fitbit OS 5 isn't coming to the Versa 2 or earlier smartwatches. The Versa 2 isn't that old, and (as far as I can tell) not dramatically different hardware wise than the Fitbit 3 aside from the extra sensors. Maybe if the Versa 2 had a more robust software ecosystem then I wouldn't mind as much. Still, it left a bad taste in my mouth to cut support after only a year.

So to the Active 2 I went. It's a year old as well but even as recently as last month, Samsung was back porting Watch 3 features to the Active 2. And the software on the Active 2 is already so robust that occasionally updating the individual apps is good enough for me.

I bought it new-ish during Best Buy's recent "Black Friday" event. I got the open box version and I'm surprised at it's rather pristine condition. No scratches or major hardware flaws. Battery life should be able to get me about 2 and a half days (expected). And so far it's more comfortable than the Versa 2. Since the deal ended, I see that the open box price has gone up to $184, so the $162 I paid seems like a pretty solid deal.

Now I'm using a Samsung watch, Samsung earbuds, and a Samsung phone. I wasn't intentionally trying to go full Samsung. That's just sort of how things worked out.
That's a really nice watch. Congratulations and enjoy it.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

View attachment 142728

Congrats! You will definitely enjoy the A2. I also have a Versa 2 and I can tell you that you won't miss a beat. If you used the Versa for sleep tracking, the only metric you won't have is the blood oxygen. I don't think that has been incorporated or it hasn't been "turned on" yet. You will gain the ECG function without any hacking since you're on a Galaxy phone. One word of caution: try not to use Bixby, it makes Siri look like a Rhodes Scholar.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Thrift store find, on my birthday no less! Another MiniDisc deck!
a4d88764878b5230d6e877b41cf6a741.jpg
91d0f45580eebd3ca3e165a3e7d8ee0f.jpg

Happy belated birthday! Enjoy your sweet, sweet find!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

View attachment 142728

That is a great deal. Congratulations! I hope that all goes well for you. It sounds like having the ecosystem should likely make things easier...

Grabber5.0

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Happy belated birthday! Enjoy your sweet, sweet find!

Thanks! Funny PS to this.. my wife asked me: "you're not going to put that in the living room, are you?" Since this plays both CDs and MiniDisc, I actually might replace the CD changer that's currently up there, so I wouldn't be adding to the stereo stack..

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Just arrived in boxes and too early to set up yet... but no more dead needles on the floor! Plus this one has a phone app you can use to play with the lights. :)

VWS-T_Vermont-White-Spruce_Twinkly_Closeup-10.jpg

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I took these in the daytime. My new laptop came! The Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 7 (14"). I never had a 14" laptop so I'm looking forward to this. It's pretty, and so light. I really hope that it will work for me.
e076b2fe98fc20d6290bcf685be1e42f.jpg
d4bcd4733e50f5062faee5e686f7043e.jpg

Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Speaking of laptops...

20201021_103200.jpg

Surface Laptop Go! Yes, it's even the 64GB eMMc version! First, plastic bottom or not, this thing feels freaking amazing. I don't think I've felt such a well designed machine for $549. It's heavier than I would have thought but also very sturdy.

This isn't for me. I got two of them for work. We have to refresh our patron laptops (switching from Mac to PC). Considering the majority of the use will be web browsing, watching videos, and typing, I'm pretty confident that the 4GB model should suffice. Coming from MacBook Airs, it's a noticeable change in both price and power, but current MacBook Airs are definitely overkill. I'm hoping the Laptop Go works out. We'll probably buy a ton of them if it does.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Speaking of laptops...

View attachment 142746

Surface Laptop Go! Yes, it's even the 64GB eMMc version! First, plastic bottom or not, this thing feels freaking amazing. I don't think I've felt such a well designed machine for $549. It's heavier than I would have thought but also very sturdy.

This isn't for me. I got two of them for work. We have to refresh our patron laptops (switching from Mac to PC). Considering the majority of the use will be web browsing, watching videos, and typing, I'm pretty confident that the 4GB model should suffice. Coming from MacBook Airs, it's a noticeable change in both price and power, but current MacBook Airs are definitely overkill. I'm hoping the Laptop Go works out. We'll probably buy a ton of them if it does.

Ooh it looks good!

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Got a new crown. I knew I couldn't fit my phone in my mouth for a picture so am posting video of the computer generated outcome.

Fortunately, a 3d scanner does fit in my mouth. The dentist uses that to generate a 3D model of the relevant parts of my mouth. That is fed into a CNC machine that carves the crown out of a blank. Absolute perfect fit, unlike a crown that starts as two impressions sent to a lab where numerous human steps culminate with a crown that often has less than optimal fit around the base or needs to be ground to get a perfect bite.

Glad the dentist took the time to fire up the app again after the fact and show the digital images from different angles for me to record.

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Got a new crown. I knew I couldn't fit my phone in my mouth for a picture so am posting video of the computer generated outcome.

Fortunately, a 3d scanner does fit in my mouth. The dentist uses that to generate a 3D model of the relevant parts of my mouth. That is fed into a CNC machine that carves the crown out of a blank. Absolute perfect fit, unlike a crown that starts as two impressions sent to a lab where numerous human steps culminate with a crown that often has less than optimal fit around the base or needs to be ground to get a perfect bite.

Glad the dentist took the time to fire up the app again after the fact and show the digital images from different angles for me to record.

That is soooooo cool! The wanted to have me get a crow for a missing molar, but I chose not to right now. It doesn't bother me not having it and I wouldn't even know if wasn't there except for the odd cashew or something getting stuck. LOL Amazing what they have for dentistry now to make life easier!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO0jEPKD--E&feature=youtu.be

Why go through all that hassle? Could’ve just used a colonoscope right?

me just saying

May 17, 2020
Visit site

I have a co-worker who used to program cnc's for replacement teeth, crowns and other replacement parts for the mouth. It is amazing what cncs can do these days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster