04-02-2017 08:50 PM
56 123
tools
    I think there's an old thread about this somewhere...

Thought it might be fun to know what our wide ranging memberships native language is.
    If possible it might be interesting to have you type out something also if you'd like to.

I'm native english (US) a very bland dialect that can range from unintelligible to sharp and terse.

Your turn...
    01-30-2017 06:19 PM
    Swiss German. Grüezi Mitenand. (also speak German, French, English and currently working on Spanish while on a trip to Mexico... shocking how few here speak anything but Espanol)
    01-30-2017 06:24 PM
    I'm basic, lmao... i'm native English but I do know some Spanish. I wish I knew something like French or something. :-P
    01-30-2017 06:31 PM
    Je ne sais pas
    ...I'm pretty sure it's U.S. English. :-), however I can speak U.S. English in a few accents fairly well ... for fun. Mainly northern, southern, southern redneck, U.K. English, Aussie. Hardest for me was trying to speak with U.S. Finnish accent with a friend in Finland. I can roll my 'r's' .. but after a bit I think I choked myself lol
    01-30-2017 06:51 PM
    Hello Im a Filipino my native language is cebuano if you dont know about the cebuano search it in google :D
    01-30-2017 07:35 PM
    I speak US English, and I've been told I have a strong Midwestern accent.
    a5cent, libra89, Guytronic and 4 others like this.
    01-30-2017 08:01 PM
    Yeah US English for me as well. Apparently people outside of my state, have a hard time placing my accent but I guess I have a generic Mid-Atlantic accent, with some words said differently because my parents are immigrants.
    Josiah23, aximtreo, a5cent and 3 others like this.
    01-31-2017 07:48 AM
    Southern, ya'll.
    libra89, a5cent, Guytronic and 2 others like this.
    01-31-2017 08:17 AM
    Russian, Ukrainian.
    02-04-2017 08:21 AM
    What surprises me is how specific you Americans' are! I was expecting you to all say 'English', but noooooo.... U.S. English, southern, mid western (have no idea what that sounds like), etc. 😀

I get the feeling the regional dialects are a more important part of Americans' identity than I thought they were. Am I right?
    02-04-2017 01:42 PM
    What surprises me is how specific you Americans' are! I was expecting you to all say 'English', but noooooo.... U.S. English, southern, mid western (have no idea what that sounds like), etc. 😀

I get the feeling the regional dialects are a more important part of Americans' identity than I thought they were. Am I right?
    You are very correct. It's an interesting phenomenon that I find interesting since I'm an immigrant. I guess my"native" language is Spanish since I didn't speak English until I came here. Being in South Florida I'm also fluent in Jamaican English and Cuban Spanglish.

Sent from my Banana Yellow Lumia 1520 via mTalk
    libra89, Guytronic, a5cent and 3 others like this.
    02-04-2017 02:10 PM
    Cuban Spanglish... lol... mui bueno... made my day. Where can I get an audio sample?

I'd love to find an audio database containing all the various American dialects.
    02-04-2017 02:58 PM
    Cuban Spanglish... lol... mui bueno... made my day. Where can I get an audio sample?

I'd love to find an audio database containing all the various American dialects.
    This seems dated but if you're ever curious, you can check this out: Accents and Dialects of the United States of America | IDEA International Dialects of English Archive

It doesn't have that one exactly but it has one for each state.
    02-04-2017 09:44 PM
    I speak US English, and I've been told I have a strong Midwestern accent.
    Same here! Native US English, with a very strong Midwest accent. I now live in the Northeast (SE Pennsylvania), and people here often comment on my accent.

I also speak some Romanian. I lived there for about one year as a missionary many years ago.
    02-04-2017 11:26 PM
    You are very correct. It's an interesting phenomenon that I find interesting since I'm an immigrant. I guess my"native" language is Spanish since I didn't speak English until I came here. Being in South Florida I'm also fluent in Jamaican English and Cuban Spanglish.

Sent from my Banana Yellow Lumia 1520 via mTalk
    Cuban Spanglish

I think, every country has such "funnies"... but this thread is about native language. I wouldn't state my knowledge of PolUkrainian or RusEnglish etc.

Absolutely agree with a5cent here. You guys went way too deep
    aximtreo and Guytronic like this.
    02-05-2017 07:55 AM
    Cuban Spanglish

I think, every country has such "funnies"... but this thread is about native language. I wouldn't state my knowledge of PolUkrainian or RusEnglish etc.

Absolutely agree with a5cent here. You guys went way too deep

Spanglish has many different iterations. For example, if you were to say "don't let me down" it would be "no me embarques". Well, we would say "don't embarcate me". That's one way we've destroyed the Queen's English. The most common form is simply flipping between English and Spanish multiple times throughout a sentence. We do this subconsciously and don't even realize it until someone who's not bilingual points it out. I'm sure it happens among speakers of other languages, we've just made it an art form.
    02-05-2017 09:36 AM
    Hey guys

Slovene (Slovenian) here as my native :) Pretty good in any (English), probably helps that I work for an International organization since I never lived in any English speaking countries.

What else we got on here?
    02-05-2017 02:45 PM
    Same here! Native US English, with a very strong Midwest accent. I now live in the Northeast (SE Pennsylvania), and people here often comment on my accent.

I also speak some Romanian. I lived there for about one year as a missionary many years ago.

Romanian native :) With an C2/5 "upper advanced" Cambridge certificate in English.
    Guytronic and a5cent like this.
    02-05-2017 05:17 PM
    Bulgarian native.. I also know English and Russian. :)

Sent from mTalk
    02-05-2017 05:35 PM
    I'm a native romanian speaker and I love Windows, cars and video games.
    Guytronic, chris_t and a5cent like this.
    02-05-2017 05:54 PM
    Another native Romanian here and besides English, I started forgetting French since I finished high school and during college there was a semester of german for beginners but I didn't take it seriously
    Guytronic, chris_t and a5cent like this.
    02-05-2017 06:25 PM
    Romanian native :)
    I'm a native romanian speaker
    Another native Romanian here
    I'm not sure how much Romanian I remember anymore. I wasn't in Romania long enough to become fluent, but I was conversational. I knew enough to get around, and into trouble! It was 20 years ago I lived there, but I have visited a number of times since then. I think the last time I was there was in 2008.
    Guytronic, a5cent, libra89 and 1 others like this.
    02-05-2017 07:23 PM
    My native language is Bengali but my education has been in English with Bengali and Hindi as second and third languages respectively.
    a5cent and Guytronic like this.
    02-05-2017 10:22 PM
    Kazon and English (Northern Louisiana blended with northern Arkansas, but intentionally masked by a generic accent). :D
    a5cent, Guytronic and libra89 like this.
    02-05-2017 10:28 PM
    native English I guess like most people with a hint of German (very basic)
    02-05-2017 10:48 PM
56 123