Clear Phone History - protect privacy against border agent search?

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

Is there a fast way to clear my cell phone of browsing history, any kind of instant messaging (txt, whatsapp) and email history, lock online account so they don't automatically open?

Why I am asking is - border security agents in Canada/US can now ask you for you phone and search it's history.

I don't care if they Bing me but actually going through my phone?

It's like a digital cavity search.

I'd prefer not to leave my phone at home when I travel.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Mr. V

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes. Perform a hard reset. Don't restore afterwards.

But then, security officials will be suspicious of you. In general, those who encountered resistance are those who've put up resistance in the first place. Those who simply gave their phone without question were usually allowed to go through with ease.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
So give up your privacy? Just like that?

Since when is privacy a crime? My whole point is, I don't want the government going into my life without cause. They have my travel history because of my passport, they can Bing Me, they can question me, why go through my phone. II also did my pre checks (Nexus).

My bet, they ALREADY monitor that my internet traffic!

Also - I don't think it is just the government. These are individual going through my stuff. I don't want them seeing my personal photos, conversations.

Do we really believe "If you have nothing to hide, then anyone should be no problem."

What next, everybody gets a cavity search?

Just my thoughts....see my point? Or we just happy giving it over?

Yes. Perform a hard reset. Don't restore afterwards.

But then, security officials will be suspicious of you. In general, those who encountered resistance are those who've put up resistance in the first place. Those who simply gave their phone without question were usually allowed to go through with ease.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Since when is privacy a crime? My whole point is, I don't want the government going into my life without cause. They have my travel history because of my passport, they can Bing Me, they can question me, why go through my phone. II also did my pre checks (Nexus).

Also - I don't think it is just the government. These are individual going through my stuff. I don't want them seeing my personal photos, conversations.

Do we really believe "If you have nothing to hide, then anyone should be no problem."

I think there are two ways to look at it.
Some people, like yourself, worry about this stuff excessively even though the chances of it ever happening to you are slim. This is not a knock on you, just an observation.
Other people could care less and don't worry at all, even if it does happen.
I'm in the middle. Be smart but enjoy your life without excessive worry.
You have to do what's best for you.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't know his ethnicity but as a Cuban living in Miami, it gives me pause.
Pause is one thing and understandable.
Excessive worry is a whole other level.
There has to be a middle ground where we can be smart and cautious while maintaining our sanity. Otherwise we lose.
I do understand as a white male i have privilege's others do not.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Sage advice.

I think there are two ways to look at it.
Some people, like yourself, worry about this stuff excessively even though the chances of it ever happening to you are slim. This is not a knock on you, just an observation.
Other people could care less and don't worry at all, even if it does happen.
I'm in the middle. Be smart but enjoy your life without excessive worry.
You have to do what's best for you.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I do understand as a white male i have privilege's others do not.
I say pause because without looking at my name you'd think I'm white. I speak perfect English and even have a tinge of a drawl because I spent my first five years in Jacksonville, Fl. aka South Georgia. Believe me, I've been pulled over by cops and their whole facial expression and attitude changes after they see my D/L. It's subtle, but very disconcerting.

I don't believe in white privilege, nobody asked to be born of a particular race or national origin. I do believe in racial profiling though. It's real.

Last edited:

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
On the phone I sound quite 'normal'. Look at my place of birth - harmless. Look at my face, and I think the border guards will ask questions.
To be honest, all my travel experiences have been good, and I hope my travel history carries me, but with the recent changes in some governments, I think they will be more emboldened.

And am not interested in giving up my phone to a border agent. Do it for all or none. I suspect a lot of lighter colored folk would resent it, and there would be a change. Let's see how many people decide 'Well, I have nothing to hide, I will let this stranger look at pictures of my family, read my conversations, banking info, personal info...because I have nothing to hide".

Yes, it is an issue because at the time of travel, I do not know the outcome. If I knew 100% they would check my phone, I would not bring it or just not go. If I do choose to travel, I cannot easily turn back - cost of ticket, time etc. This is also new. I accept being finger printed (going to Japan) and being questioned (any border) and I can't stop them from Bing'ing me. Taking my phone? You might as well do a strip search and call that regular protocol.

And don't just think about yourself. Think about your loved ones - having to expose their personal life to strangers.

I say pause because without looking at my name you'd think I'm white. I speak perfect English and even have a tinge of a drawl because I spent my first five years in Jacksonville, Fl. aka South Georgia. Believe me, I've been pulled over by cops and their whole facial expression and attitude changes after they see my D/L. It's subtle, but very disconcerting.

I don't believe in white privilege, nobody asked to be born of a particular race or national origin. I do believe in racial profiling though. It's real.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

It's not the way it should be, but until we advance as humans it is reality for some. It's a shame we can't figure out how to get along.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
And am not interested in giving up my phone to a border agent. Do it for all or none. I suspect a lot of lighter colored folk would resent it, and there would be a change. Let's see how many people decide 'Well, I have nothing to hide, I will let this stranger look at pictures of my family, read my conversations, banking info, personal info...because I have nothing to hide".

This part is key. Until more people like myself (light skinned) stand up and say "no", nothing will change. I have become much more vocal during and after the last U.S. election. I don't know if it will help, but I'm not staying quiet any more.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
This part is key. Until more people like myself (light skinned) stand up and say "no", nothing will change. I have become much more vocal during and after the last U.S. election. I don't know if it will help, but I'm not staying quiet any more.

Kudos mi hermano. Tell Lord Cheetoh we're a better country than this.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

I didn't say give up your privacy. The quote says wipe your phone clean, but then there are others who just give their phone without question (which could mean that they don't have any sensitive info in their phone anyway). I didn't use the words "hide" and "crime". But what I should emphasize is that if security personnel encounter a phone that has just been wiped clean or that has "nothing" in it then they could become suspicious.

If that happened to me, I'd give a condition that I should be watching them as they do so as my right as a civilian.

How long do you think security personnel would remember everything they see? A few days? A few seconds? If they don't see anything suspicious or different in you or how you act, I'd bet they'd forget you instantly. Notice I said "you", not "your phone". Part of their training is spotting unusual body language signals, especially being nervous, defensive, jumpy. If the person is "off" and "unusual", then that person will most likely attract the attention of these personnel.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I didn't say give up your privacy. The quote says wipe your phone clean, but then there are others who just give their phone without question (which could mean that they don't have any sensitive info in their phone anyway). I didn't use the words "hide" and "crime". But what I should emphasize is that if security personnel encounter a phone that has just been wiped clean or that has "nothing" in it then they could become suspicious.

If that happened to me, I'd give a condition that I should be watching them as they do so as my right as a civilian.

How long do you think security personnel would remember everything they see? A few days? A few seconds? If they don't see anything suspicious or different in you or how you act, I'd bet they'd forget you instantly. Notice I said "you", not "your phone". Part of their training is spotting unusual body language signals, especially being nervous, defensive, jumpy. If the person is "off" and "unusual", then that person will most likely attract the attention of these personnel.

I wish their training was as you state. Unfortunately, it's a little more sinister than that. They're playing by a new set of rules.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...d-immigration-officials-fla-airport/98379082/

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the comments - interesting points

I think people are intimidated by border security so they will trip up. Not sure that is an accident.

I am not concerned so much about what they remember. They might, who knows? But it's like being strip searched. You are naked before them, being examined. They probably won't remember you, but would you still mind?

They have OTHER screening methods. Your passport has your name, you get fingerprinted, they can question you, - they can easily find out more about you. A cell phone is deceptive - they see some picture and make a judgement about you. Also you wipe it and you are suspicious because you don't want someone to invade your privacy? If I leave my cell at home, I am also suspicious? Why are we assumed guilty? It is incredible.

What if you have anti government pictures (which are everywhere), pro choice info, the 'wrong' religion comments, to a biased border guard? What if you just have something they don't like...I don't know you like cats over dogs?

***Do you have a right as a civilian to watch them as they look at your phone contents***???

This whole procedure is new, and seems so rushed. I agree with safety and checking, but going for someone's phone should be a much later resort. Do proper investigative work first.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre