No apps!

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I would like to pose this question:

Is it possible for a mobile device platform to be successful without developed 3rd party apps?

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
That's a tough one to answer! Really good question!

Anything is possible, but it'll be very difficult.

Maybe it could work for specific age groups and/or simple user who just use the phone to call people and isn't so much on social media and other related apps. It probably wouldn't last long though...

Edited: Will it have any pre-installed apps or will it just be the one phone app? Or completely none at all? Lol, it's so controversial.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Will it have any pre-installed apps or will it just be the one phone app? Or completely none at all? Lol, it's so controversial.

Lol ...

I guess it's a pretty non-specific question since mobile has always or as far as I know revolved around applications.

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Lol ...

I guess it's a pretty non-specific question since mobile has always or as far as I know revolved around applications.

It has, without its apps, it's not too far away from being a house phone (which a house phone would probably have more features, lol)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
That's a tough one to answer!

Anything is possible, but it'll be very difficult.

Maybe it could work for specific age groups and/or simple user who just use the phone to call people and isn't so much on social media and other related apps. It probably wouldn't last long though...
I see as something that could be nice occasionally (i.e. a retreat kind of situation) but yeah I couldn't agree more.

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Ahh I see your edited post now @Guytronic

I think it... could stick around but by all means in today's society it wouldn't be very "popular" as people want excitement, uniqueness , or something that's already popular(*cough Apple *cough( for the already popular part, lol)).

As I said in my last post it might work for very specific age groups and/or simple users. Anything is possible but it wouldn't be very "successful".

These kind of questions really make me think!

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I was just thinking about Blackberry way back and Symbian earlier when the thought hit me.
Apps are popular I'd say...yet thinking back when early phones were more self contained life was kind of good in a simple fashion.

Early development was fun.
Apps now are so competitive we as users expect the best of course.
It's kind of no longer fun :(

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Honestly I don't think there's much of a chance of survival without apps. Too much is being built around mobile devices that soon we won't carry wallets or anything. At that point if you don't have the apps to support it you won't have the user base.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I was just thinking about Blackberry way back and Symbian earlier when the thought hit me.
Apps are popular I'd say...yet thinking back when early phones were more self contained life was kind of good in a simple fashion.

Early development was fun.
Apps now are so competitive we as users expect the best of course.
It's kind of no longer fun :(

It reminds me of those stupid cards every store wants you to carry around so you can get their discount. Its just a way to force you to use them.
Apps (not all but many) are about marketing and make you feel like you can't do something without them. Look at mobile banking apps. I never find myself in a position where I need one only when I have my phone. How did we get by before?
Apps are certainly convenient, but "most" are not necessary in my opinion.

I have the main ones I need on WM. Not going to drive myself crazy chasing every app in town.
JMHO.

"covers head waiting for attack from app defenders" 😉

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

kachan64

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
Some people might bring up that whole "you don't need an app, they have website" argument.
Back then websites on browsers aren't as "good" as compared to now. But I still think websites are somewhat sluggish compared to an app in some cases.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Some people might bring up that whole "you don't need an app, they have website" argument.
Back then websites on browsers aren't as "good" as compared to now. But I still think websites are somewhat sluggish compared to an app in some cases.
Yeah, I think it strongly depends on the kind of app.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

I agree. Not that its not doable, but apps can add some functionality. They can also add headaches and privacy issues too though.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintchip