04-13-2017 09:50 AM
86 1234
tools
    Mobile phones have gotten way to far upmarket. They need to come back down to earth and realize that what most people want and can afford is pretty basic. The only advantage a mobile phone has over a computer is that you can take them with you, and most people don't need that much firepower just to use on the fly.
    I agree with you 1000%. Yes, it sucks that work email almost forces us to maintain smartphones but anyone who doesn't rely on their phone for work is enjoying the convenience. It wasn't that long ago that payphones (remember those?) were ubiquitous, cars only had AM radios and there were no ATMs. Now we have smartphones, tap to pay, mobile banking, cars have 9-speed automatic transmissions, satellite radios and GPS displays. For what it's worth, all my cars have manual transmissions, no XM or Sirius and my boat still has a Loran-C receiver that works better than my Garmin handheld. I keep paper maps too even though it's not required anymore.
    editguy and libra89 like this.
    04-10-2017 06:24 PM
    haha oh man I actually thought about the same thing like two weeks ago. I was lamenting the simplicity of the old days when I remembered my Kin TWOm. That thing was boss to type on. And it was such a nice device for doing the basics. I don't think you can even find a new phone with a slide out, landscape keyboard. I'd love to see a physical landscape keyboard again on anything. The only thing better than auto correct is typing it right the first time, lol. And I don't think I would mind using my tablet for on the go emails and such, but ultimately, there's too much convenience to having a smartphone now. I'm always checking my calendar for updates and it's just easier and faster to do on my phone. However, show me a bad arse feature phone with integrated Outlook, landscape physical keyboard, and a decent processor and I might give it a look.
    Maybe a Samsung Sidekick 4G?
    04-10-2017 06:37 PM
    The second biggest issue is COST. I think it's ridiculous to pay more than $200 for a cell phone. I don't want a computer in my pocket--it's too small.
    Mobile phones have gotten way to far upmarket. They need to come back down to earth and realize that what most people want and can afford is pretty basic. The only advantage a mobile phone has over a computer is that you can take them with you, and most people don't need that much firepower just to use on the fly..
    I hear you. I don't think I've bought a mobile phone over $200, at least that I can remember. The amount some of the top of the line Flagships cost, I'd be scared to use it for fear that dropping it would cost more to repair than a minor ding on my car
    04-10-2017 09:33 PM
    One reason I've always kept my 925 close.
    Sometimes it's kept off for days...I always find myself returning to the great and simply elegant days of WP 8.1.
    I've got an ATIV SE running 8.1; it's fun to pull it out every once in a while and remember the good-ol-days....
    04-10-2017 11:21 PM
    Get an iPhone SE. Long battery life, right size which is not very much bigger or heavier than a dumb phone. Most importantly, it's dumb and static. A truly modern dumb phone.
    I have a W10M phone. It's quite dumb.

Emails, browser, weather, Skype, Wifi-hotspot. That's it. The serious things are done on a iPad. Better screen and all apps.
    04-11-2017 01:54 AM
    My brother had a Nokia 5110 in 1998-9.

Those were the days.
    dov1978 likes this.
    04-11-2017 05:02 AM
    Yep...you're nuts. One time not so long ago I took phone off the charger before heading out for the day not realising my kid had unplugged it at the wall the day before. Needless to say it soon ran out of juice and I had to spend the day with a no phone. It was the longest day of my life. That's just the sad state of mindset modern technology has placed on us I guess.
    On the flipside I went to Mexico on honeymoon last year and lost my phone on arrival. After making sure the sim was blocked with my carrier I enjoyed 2 weeks of freedom with no Facebook, no emails, no checking my phone to see if anyone had tried to call and only a digital camera for photos. I think it definitely added to the intimacy of our honeymoon too as we spent all of our time together with no distractions. So yeah I can see your point.
    As for Dumbo phones I'm definitely getting the new Nokia 3310 for nostalgia and I'll use it for work
    04-11-2017 05:56 AM
    My brother had a Nokia 5110 in 1998-9.

http://www.altimobiler.dk/14448-3772...-roed-graa.jpg

Those were the days.
    That was the first phone I ever bought on contract and thought it was great that I'd haggle a deal in the shop to include some different colour faces for it lol
    mc_razza likes this.
    04-11-2017 05:57 AM
    I miss those days, have had L1520, L820 but just got tired of the over dependence on the phones and the apps. So decided to drop all the phones and bought an additional android phone for app development purposes. Now I use my phones frankly for testing the apps am building, be it web or mobile apps. Sometimes to receive calls and emails, other than that they just sit idle. Emails is strictly from my sp3 and dell 15 7559. I miss the old days when phones were mostly for calling and texting, and playing the snake game. Am glad am not that addicted to having an always on active internet connection, just available to read my emails and do some little googling research.
    04-11-2017 06:13 AM
    I think you mean Lumia phones.
    04-11-2017 07:00 AM
    Are you outside the U.S. because I thought all the U.S. carriers dropped 2g?

Sent from mTalk on my SP4
    T-Mobile still has 2G until 2020 I believe.
    04-11-2017 07:38 AM
    I tried that some months ago, then I had to carry a backpack with a Laptop, a Camera, a Map, a yellow-pages directory, a flashlight, a Nintendo 3DS, etc etc. So, no practical at all.
    However, I do know that the big problems we're facing today are the Social Networks. Remove Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram.. bla bla bla.. from you Smartphone, and you'll find yourself using it only for the necessary stuff.
    This exactly! I have already removed myself from all social networks - no facebook, twitter, linkedin, myspace (is that still a thing?), etc.
    I'm back to using AOL Instant Messenger (jk!)
    Seriously, I stopped social networking sites when all of my parents and grandparents got on there and started demanding that I accept their friend requests and then they started making it worthless with all of their nonsense. So I just up and quit. I use my phone for calls, texting, reading, and playing with W10M (like interop tools digging through the registry), and listening to music. Pretty simple and I am rarely on it. So much more time during the week and especially weekends.
    Tcat Houser likes this.
    04-11-2017 07:55 AM
    I've actually tried going back to using a dumbphone on more than one occasion, most recently, a Samsung Gravity TXT with slide-out QWERTY keyboard.

You may be shocked to learn that the world didn't end and it was actually a refreshing, enlightening experience. I was forced to actually observe and connect with the world around me and the people in it.

The challenge I ran into was that, at a bare minimum, I wanted to be able to make phone calls and send texts. And unfortunately, most (if not all) dumbphones do not support group SMS, only broadcast SMS. Meaning you cannot have a conversation via text with more than one person at a time. Lack of group SMS capability is, unfortunately, is the one deal-breaker for me when it comes to dumbphones, because there are times when it is absolutely essential that I have a text conversation with 2+ people at the same time.

But everything else I can absolutely accomplish on a tablet, laptop, or desktop.
    Wait, I thought GroupMe has support for dumb phones? I think it just assigns a single phone number for you to text to and everyone else that is on a smartphone it looks like normal. And you get texts because your number is included in the GroupMe. You do not have to have the app and everything is done through text commands. Really pretty cool and simple, look up GroupMe over SMS
    04-11-2017 08:03 AM
    I had a flip phone for years before having to switch to a smartphone. I like my smartphone because of the camera and music player features in addition to calling and texting but sometimes I wish I could go back to a flip phone. If there was one that could do group text, I'd be all over that.
    Okay, I replied to someone else about this, but I will go ahead and give you the same info. You can do group texting over SMS only with a dumb phone. GroupMe supports it. You do not need an app or anything. Everything is done through SMS commands. Look up GroupMe over SMS.
    Bittah Pupil likes this.
    04-11-2017 08:08 AM
    I agree with you 1000%. Yes, it sucks that work email almost forces us to maintain smartphones but anyone who doesn't rely on their phone for work is enjoying the convenience. It wasn't that long ago that payphones (remember those?) were ubiquitous, cars only had AM radios and there were no ATMs. Now we have smartphones, tap to pay, mobile banking, cars have 9-speed automatic transmissions, satellite radios and GPS displays. For what it's worth, all my cars have manual transmissions, no XM or Sirius and my boat still has a Loran-C receiver that works better than my Garmin handheld. I keep paper maps too even though it's not required anymore.
    Does it count if I still pick up a Rand McNally Road Atlas before traveling anywhere? Even though I have my 950XL with me at all times
    fatclue_98 and Tcat Houser like this.
    04-11-2017 08:13 AM
    Does it count if I still pick up a Rand McNally Road Atlas before traveling anywhere? Even though I have my 950XL with me at all times
    It makes you smart without having to stay at a Holiday Inn.
    04-11-2017 08:36 AM
    Thanks for the responses everyone. So instead of jumping off the roof, I decided to start at a lower level. I pulled my 920 out of the drawer and stripped it of Twitter and all the other annoying things I do not need. Just the basics. Let's see how this goes.
    Excellent idea. I removed Facebook from my phone months ago and don't miss it's constant tracking, interruptions and battery draining behaviors at all.
    04-11-2017 09:14 AM
    Uh no, not for me. However, my mother, father and brother only use the calling features of their smartphones and would be fine going back to dumb flip phones. Going to grab my dad's Lumia 650 as a spare if he does switch.
    04-11-2017 09:17 AM
    Wait, I thought GroupMe has support for dumb phones? I think it just assigns a single phone number for you to text to and everyone else that is on a smartphone it looks like normal. And you get texts because your number is included in the GroupMe. You do not have to have the app and everything is done through text commands. Really pretty cool and simple, look up GroupMe over SMS
    It does but the thing is that in order to use that, the people sharing and sending the message would have to do it via GroupMe. I don't know about your contacts but for pretty much all of my contacts, group SMS is used for something pressing/planning but it's only used for that thing and then the message is done. It's a waste of time to create a GroupMe DM for all of these occasions when you can just text.

An example is when me and some of my friends were planning a surprise for another one of our friends. That's a one off thing. No need to create a DM for that.
    04-11-2017 09:51 AM
    1. iT'S not a dumb phone. It's a feature phone.

A. Yeah. I finally dropped my feature phone for a 950XL since the battery lasts longer than a day
    AND I can swap in a new battery.
    04-11-2017 11:18 AM
    Yes, I am from the UK. 2g coverage is about 99% over the country.
    04-11-2017 11:22 AM
    QUALCOMM announced a new chipset for feature phones for next year which will support 3g/4g. So maybe a 3310(2018) ☺
    TgeekB likes this.
    04-11-2017 11:28 AM
    I hope win 10 mobile sticks around, but if not I may have to fire up my Nokia A6 Symbian phone and revive my Motorola razor V3 again. :-0
    04-11-2017 12:09 PM
    But the recipients all have to use GroupMe, too, which kind of defeats the whole purpose, does it not?.

The whole point is SMS is ubiquitous. You can send a text to a cell phone number and they just get it. No need to sign up for additional services like GroupMe.
    libra89 likes this.
    04-11-2017 12:35 PM
    T-Mobile still has 2G until 2020 I believe.
    Ahh, thanks.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4
    04-11-2017 03:44 PM
86 1234