04-13-2017 09:50 AM
86 ... 234
tools
    QUALCOMM announced a new chipset for feature phones for next year which will support 3g/4g. So maybe a 3310(2018) ☺
    I saw that. Will make things interesting.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4
    04-11-2017 03:46 PM
    I have a Motorola Razr which has only had about 1 month of use. I love it and would make it my main phone except for a couple of limitations which a simple technology refresh would answer. Update the OS, more mega pixels on the camera and better Bluetooth integration with my other electronics. If someone could do that I'd ditch my oversized smartphone immediately. Give me real keys, small form factor, simple to use phone any day. If I need to use the internet I have plenty of large form factor options.

For those that disagree consider the Windows Phone with Continuum or the recent Samsung Galaxy S8 announcement. These are phones that have the ability to connect to keyboards and large screens if you want to do serious work. So the question you need to ask is why the Windows Phone or the S8 need to be so large. You could make these into very small form factor phones with an optional 2-in-1 screen/keyboard combo add on for those occasions when you want to do need larger screen format.
    04-11-2017 04:44 PM
    I don't like that name in the title, rather call them basic or feature phones

I used a basic phone for 3 months last year after my lumia 1020 was stolen - it worked for what I wanted which was phone calls and sms. All the other activities - I could do on my pc

I could still go back to using a feature phone like my old Nokia 2700c which still works till now

But I'm somehow dependent on using whatsapp - unfortunately my Nokia 2700c doesn't support that
    Guytronic and anon(6078578) like this.
    04-11-2017 11:30 PM
    Does it count if I still pick up a Rand McNally Road Atlas before traveling anywhere? Even though I have my 950XL with me at all times
    You struck a chord here.

Back in the day where the most advanced app on a phone was snake, I made it a point to buy an Atlas (atlas atlas, not road atlas) because I had a huge interest in geography.

Now that I can access Wikipedia it would be redundant, and this feels like a huge loss. I also used city maps when travelling with my family, which makes our current dependence on GPS and online maps quite pathetic.

Worst part? As a kid I was one of the herd of basketball card hoarders. It seems like such a silly hobby, even without considering you can get high quality photos and constantly updated stats of players anywhere, but it seemed so much more engaging back then.

So I'm starting to think it's not how smart our phones are, it's more how dependent we are on the net, and how much we know it.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    04-12-2017 01:04 AM
    I'm somewhat of an anomaly. Electronics, PCs, gadgets, gaming, digital communication -- all those things have interested me since an early age. However, I've never owned a smart phone with a sim card. I do have a Windows 10 phone that I bought second hand. Got it just to fiddle with, but it mostly stays in my desk drawer.

Don't really have a desire to own one and I think it mostly comes from the fact that I don't think it'd see much use. I work in healthcare and all data requires HIPAA compliance, so I couldn't use it to perform work related tasks. I don't use social media. I've got a 3DS for portable gaming and a window mount GPS to help with travelling.

Been using an LG enV2 for the past 8 years. It has a keyboard for texting and lasts nearly 2 weeks on a full charge.
    Timbre70 and fatclue_98 like this.
    04-12-2017 02:58 AM
    Smartphones are not expensive. I get my smartphones for $1. As far as total cost of ownership, that is a personal preference when services like email are free. Total cost of ownership may go up using services like WiFi calling, video streaming, music streaming, etc but you cannot place that blame on the technology. Some people need a lot of data, some people need to make in app purchases, some people need to pay for the cloud. But no one is forced to do these things. If you want to use your smartphone to make calls and do nothing else, you are free to do so.
    04-12-2017 06:37 AM
    I still maintain a dumbish, fauxberry on Virgin...

I'd love a smart qwerty flip phone. Clamshell precludes need for a cover & screen unobstructed by virtual or physical kb.

I see some Asian T9 variants, but I'm more data than voice centric & would love something like a larger Blackberry Style.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    04-12-2017 09:24 AM
    I still maintain a dumbish, fauxberry on Virgin...

I'd love a smart qwerty flip phone. Clamshell precludes need for a cover & screen unobstructed by virtual or physical kb.

I see some Asian T9 variants, but I'm more data than voice centric & would love something like a larger Blackberry Style.
    I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed the Style. Perfect form factor stuck on the worst network (Sprint). A few months ago ZTE released an Android clamshell that I would have been all over but it too was locked to a prepaid CDMA network. Tracfone I believe.
    pppro likes this.
    04-12-2017 09:30 AM
    Okay, I replied to someone else about this, but I will go ahead and give you the same info. You can do group texting over SMS only with a dumb phone. GroupMe supports it. You do not need an app or anything. Everything is done through SMS commands. Look up GroupMe over SMS.
    OK, so I did some digging and found out that GroupMe actually does have a group SMS service that anyone can use and it doesn't require anyone to already have a GroupMe account or use the app.

I created a new thread with the details:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/gen...tionality.html

This makes me want to test it out on a dumbphone!
    04-12-2017 04:07 PM
    Thanks for the responses everyone. So instead of jumping off the roof, I decided to start at a lower level. I pulled my 920 out of the drawer and stripped it of Twitter and all the other annoying things I do not need. Just the basics. Let's see how this goes.
    How is this going so far?

I realized that I've done a similar method with my 640. I don't have any social media on it. I rarely browse the web on it. I have the ESPN app but I don't really need it. The most used apps are 6tag and Perfect Music. I have data enabled just for MMS; internet access is through WiFi. So basically my 640 is almost like a dumb phone: I call and text, listen to my mp3 collection, and take pics. The bonus feature is downloading maps and using it as GPS.
    04-13-2017 03:11 AM
    How is this going so far?

I realized that I've done a similar method with my 640. I don't have any social media on it. I rarely browse the web on it. I have the ESPN app but I don't really need it. The most used apps are 6tag and Perfect Music. I have data enabled just for MMS; internet access is through WiFi. So basically my 640 is almost like a dumb phone: I call and text, listen to my mp3 collection, and take pics. The bonus feature is downloading maps and using it as GPS.
    Your point about the GPS made me wonder whether there were feature phones which had maps, so I tried a little search then got distracted by an article I think you may find interesting:

Explaining Japan's feature phone fetish - Endgadget
    <https://www.engadget.com/2015/03/13/japan-loves-feature-phones/>

A quote from the article says it all. Behold, our spirit animal:
    <<
    "It's light," he says. "It's small; it's easy to type on, easy to talk into." He then flips one open, adding, "It's cool." He flips it shut.
    >>

And another statement that goes both ways: <<Do you need these features? Maybe not. But that's not to say else someone doesn't.>>
    libra89 and fatclue_98 like this.
    04-13-2017 09:50 AM
86 ... 234