Why reward Microsoft if they are forcing you to leave?

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Like all WP users I've been planning for the possible move to another platform. Microsoft can keep claiming they are continuing updating and working on W10M but if there isn't any hardware to put that on their claims are meaningless. I will continue to use my 735 but if that should die I will be forced to make the move (unless I pick up a used 735). Considering the alternatives it would appear an Android is the best choice if you WANT TO keep Microsoft services AND make your phone look and feel as close to a WP as possible.

Then I got to thinking. Why reward Microsoft and continue to use their services if they are throwing you (as a customer) out with the trash? If my favorite restaurant changes its menu to something I don't like I'm not going to keep rewarding them with my money. Screw them. Personally, the only service I pay for from Microsoft is Groove music so I am not going to keep that service (if I end up moving). I stopped using OneDrive when Microsoft stopped placeholders so I went somewhere else for my cloud storage. I make fun of lemming IPhone users who follow anything Apple does so I'm not going to be a hypocrite and keep blindly following Microsoft.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I do not choose or not choose a service to reward or "punish" a company. Maybe this is selfish, but I simply choose what works best for me. I don't really care which company is behind it. I mix and match.

For example, I often do public speaking. I prepare and save my notes on Microsoft Word on a PC, and save it to Google Drive. When I actually do the presentation, I use an iPad to view my notes. So I am using my iPad (Apple) to view my Word document (Microsoft) which is stored on Google Drive (Google). It works great!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I do not choose or not choose a service to reward or "punish" a company. Maybe this is selfish, but I simply choose what works best for me. I don't really care which company is behind it. I mix and match.

For example, I often do public speaking. I prepare and save my notes on Microsoft Word on a PC, and save it to Google Drive. When I actually do the presentation, I use an iPad to view my notes. So I am using my iPad (Apple) to view my Word document (Microsoft) which is stored on Google Drive (Google). It works great!

+1

I can't relate to @tgp's example but for me, Microsoft is the only one that has services that can really be used across all three platforms I use. Why fix what isn't broken?

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I guess the term "punish" might fit for some but for me reward is correct. I might be different but I am one that will buy and app to reward (or thank) the developers when the lite version is good enough. There are plenty of music services I could have went too but went with groove music pass because it was from MS.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft is the only one that has services that can really be used across all three platforms I use.

This makes sense. For me, I don't use Windows phone as a daily driver. Google's services work great on all platforms except for Windows phone, so that omission doesn't affect me at all. I primarily use Windows on desktop, Android for phone, and iOS for tablet.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
+1

I can't relate to @tgp's example but for me, Microsoft is the only one that has services that can really be used across all three platforms I use. Why fix what isn't broken?
What are those three platforms? If Windows Mobile is one of them: We were speaking about our next phones. If things are going to be as it seems, you're not going to be able to buy a Windows phone as your next phone, so somebody else's service not being available in Windows Store isn't going to matter. Windows Phone/Mobile is the only major platform which has these problems. So after you switch to Android it iOS, Microsoft's services will lose that advantage.

Not to mention that this would not even be an issue if Microsoft focused better in Windows 10 Mobile, as they're would be more quality third party apps for all that.

Sent from mTalk on Windows 10 phone

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
This makes sense. For me, I don't use Windows phone as a daily driver. Google's services work great on all platforms except for Windows phone, so that omission doesn't affect me at all. I primarily use Windows on desktop, Android for phone, and iOS for tablet.
Yeah your setup makes sense to me too. Honestly, I don't use it as my daily driver either but that's because they lack a phone that meets my size and battery life wants together.

What are those three platforms? If Windows Mobile is one of them: We were speaking about our next phones. If things are going to be as it seems, you're not going to be able to buy a Windows phone as your next phone, so somebody else's service not being available in Windows Store isn't going to matter. Windows Phone/Mobile is the only major platform which has these problems. So after you switch to Android it iOS, Microsoft's services will lose that advantage.

Not to mention that this would not even be an issue if Microsoft focused better in Windows 10 Mobile, as they're would be more quality third party apps for all that.

For me, that's one of them, yes. The other two are Android and iOS. You have a great point but I don't see that my 650 would stop working all of a sudden so I will continue to use it unless non-Microsoft apps I use decide to pull their app. I would feel differently but as of now, most of these apps get updates every now and then still.

I guess the term "punish" might fit for some but for me reward is correct. I might be different but I am one that will buy and app to reward (or thank) the developers when the lite version is good enough. There are plenty of music services I could have went too but went with groove music pass because it was from MS.

Twitter: @PhotographyET
Ah, I get what you are saying. I can relate.

I am a Spotify Premium subscriber because I use Windows Phone. I know many say Groove but Groove has too many holes for what I listen to. On Android and iOS, there are apps where I can get music for free (with some limitations but far from bad though). Spotify is just in maintenance but it still works decently so I use it.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
For me, that's one of them, yes. The other two are Android and iOS. You have a great point but I don't see that my 650 would stop working all of a sudden so I will continue to use it unless non-Microsoft apps I use decide to pull their app. I would feel differently but as of now, most of these apps get updates every now and then still.
Same with me and my Lumia 730. I hope it's going to work for me enough for me to not change the platform. 😊 Though I'm completely in Windows. Windows Phone, Windows PC's, Windows laptop, and a Windows 2in1 which serves as a tablet too.😊

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I just use what works best for me and that's W10M. My Alcatel Idol 4s will continue to work for what I need for at least a couple more years. By then I'm sure there will be more choices.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
I hope you're right for those couple of years. That's what I would love for my phone too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire