RED Hydrogen Phone

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Anybody hear about it this week? Anybody interested? Sort of an under-the-radar pre-order announcement that has generated quite a bit of hype and controversy.

Click on the "Product Details" link from the pre-order page to see a one-sheet for what this device is going to be all about:

HYDROGEN Pre-Orders

The price, as with all things RED, is definitely in the ridiculous territory for phones in general. But I can't help but be excited, a feeling that has been missing for me in mobile tech for some time. I've pre-ordered this, and I'll do the same for a Microsoft device if they can offer something equally exciting, unique, and potentially enjoyable when they get back into this space.

MatreyuC

Jul 28, 2017
Visit site
I agree, I haven't seen anything this interesting in the mobile space in a long time. Actually, the new iPad pro was a surprise with the 120hz screen. That hardware is so awesome, it may be enough to get me back into the jailbreaking game, even though I've been on Android for so long. It's really a toss-up between the iPad and this Red phone, they cost about the same.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Marques Brownlee (MKBHD on YouTube) got a hands on with some of the prototypes!

RED Hydrogen Prototype

So, it looks like it's going to happen sooner rather than later. Device looks pretty big with those bezels, but I'm still excited for that camera and that display.

BrianEmbry

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
This one of the more interesting announcements that have come out recently. I would need to lay hands on it first before I buy.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Yeah... it seems to be very directly aimed at YouTubers, vloggers, and video content creators in general. It's media consumption prowess is nice (and something I look forward to as a consumer), but probably not going to be as important to the people who have use for the device.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Wanted to resurrect this now that more information is known, and now that I've spent some time over on the reduser forums.

A couple of major things I've learned about RED:
  • RED is genuinely interested in pushing the tech as far as they can take it. Jim is still announcing features we weren't sure were going to be on the phone, but that have made it to the final version (like being able to shoot 4V without a module, both front and back!)
  • RED is genuinely invested in its products and customers. They interact with them, answer questions, and help make the whole community more engaged.
  • Jim Jannard, their CEO, is over on those forums way more than I expected. He's reporting information and details about this device to us that the media hasn't even picked up on or reported. He seems excited to be able share whatever details he has ready, and is proud of what they created even if it never makes it to market. He even shared a picture of the first ready production version that he's using himself -- just because a forum member asked for it.

That doesn't stop this device from being inordinately expensive, but it just excites me more than ever that we're going to be getting a product made by people who are actually excited by their own product.

This is not a Microsoft hate post, trust me. I just wanted to share that I really like what RED is doing, and they deserve a little attention!

Anyway, some details about the phone and its pending release added a few days ago by Jim on the forums:
reduser.net - January 22nd Update

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05