Reasons for Outlook.com over Gmail?

anon(10272511)

Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
I'm thinking about leaving Gmail for Outlook.com, what are big reasons you prefer Outlook.com over Gmail? (Excluding privacy reasons please)

Edit: Thank you Windows Central for featuring this thread on the homepage!

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't think there is much difference in performance and features. It's probably more down to personal preference than anything else.

One advantage of Outlook email is that it is probably easier to get the name you want. On gmail, you pretty much have to either have a very long name or add a number or character to it.

nickx91

Jul 6, 2017
Visit site
I like the rules filter of Outlook as compared to Gmail. It's easy to just pick emails up and send all the emails to a specific folder that I made. I cannot do that in Gmail. Apart from that, Outlook is more easy to use than Gmail. Since, I use Skype therefore I can make most out of Outlook.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
To be honest it's not a question of preference for me. I use Hotmail emails still, so it's more a question of legacy. I've used the service for so so long that moving to Gmail would simply be a hassle without any real pay-off since they're pretty similar.

kittananj

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I always manage my rule to move to specific folder, create wild card block on specific domain. Those two features are much easier in Outlook.

suprkain

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I use both. I have one I use personally and one I use professionally such as on resumes and what not. Gmail and Outlook have both pros and cons so its hard to say completely if one is far better than the other.

ad47uk

May 17, 2016
Visit site
i would not use any of them to be honest, while I do have a gmail account due to having an Android phone, I never use it. I use a company called one and one that host my email, I have a domain as well. So yes it cost a bit of money, pittence really per month, but I think it is far more secure anbd privte than any opf these free email services.

JasCola

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking about leaving Gmail for Outlook.com, what are big reasons you prefer Outlook.com over Gmail? (Excluding privacy reasons please)

I really, really like the ability to use aliases. I can have multiple seemingly unrelated email addresses that all funnel into one inbox, and when composing an email I can set the alias that it will use.

I use this for my website email, as well as personal, and other work - all in one inbox and nice and tidy.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Each have their pros and cons.
I use both, heavily.

IMO

Outlook excels in folder and thread management and display/UI, ability to use aliases
Gmail excels in composing emails (love window ability no navigating to new screen), and speed (I seem to receive emails quicker through Gmail and the UI updates more quickly), google wallet integration is nice as well

I use each for different purposes.
For more formal and business purposes I use outlook and its because of the entire platform. OneDrive, online office products, etc....

For personal I tend to use Gmail more often.

abhimaurya96

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site

You'll love its spam filtering algorithm. It is best you'll ever find in any email service. It just knows which is spam which is not without single set of custom rules and markings. And sweep function that is super easy to use. I don't know gmail has it or not. Sweep is performing delete, moving, etc for a particular email address which I've ever recieved email from. E.g. I shop so much from Amazon they send like 3-4 emails concerned to per order. So I've set it to sweep, i.e move all Amazon emails to my Amazon folder which are more than 7 days old.

I don't know if gmail has that kind of functionality. Overall I like outlook better in every case whether it is UI, UX or ease of doing tasks.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

1. outlook.com I think is a more professional name to gmail.
2. outlook is a more familiar business name, coming from the outlook program
3. outlook.com has a long establishing in business. Chances are outlook is more refined in many ways over time.

redmisfitx

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

The reason I prefer outlook is because of the integration with Skype and Office 365. I also use gmail, but I never quite got used to the interface and the way it handles folders and tags, etc.

PNvmkpk

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I really, really like the ability to use aliases. I can have multiple seemingly unrelated email addresses that all funnel into one inbox, and when composing an email I can set the alias that it will use.

I use this for my website email, as well as personal, and other work - all in one inbox and nice and tidy.

Yes, alias feature is the biggest difference between outlook and gmail.

atoqir

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site

I tried them both. If you have an Android phone and like 2 way sync of your contacts including pictures with the default dailer and contacts app I would recommend Gmail.

If you have an iPhone you can setup your accounts as and Exchange mailbox and everything works great that way if you use Outlook

LaVike

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I have both a gmail account and an outlook.com account. I was going to make the switch but I found that it takes hours if not days for outlook.com to propagate any changes across devices.

As an example, I deleted a meeting using Outlook that is connected to my outlook.com account. It doesn't show up on my computer but on my 950XL, it is still showing up and it has been 24 hours since I deleted it. When I do the same on gmail, it is almost instantaneous that the change shows up on my phone.

I'm guessing that this isn't a problem if you are using an iOS or Android device since those devices seem to get all of the love from the Massively Screwed-up dys-Functional Team (MSFT).

So the bottom line is, for a business setting, where your schedule my be pretty dynamic, the outlook.com connectivity with a W10M device is as useless as lips on a chicken.

FlavioV

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I tried them both. If you have an Android phone and like 2 way sync of your contacts including pictures with the default dailer and contacts app I would recommend Gmail.

If you have an iPhone you can setup your accounts as and Exchange mailbox and everything works great that way if you use Outlook

You can get 2-way contacts sync on Android if you add your Outlook account to the Gmail app. You'll even get an email from the Outlook team asking you to enable the sync service.

Too bad I only found this a good month after I fully switched from Windows Phone to Android. I still use my Outlook account for literally everything, even as a Google account - only migrated my contacts due to this issue. I also disabled the Gmail app, which has no use once I installed Outlook.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte