What are your Top 5 Programs Microsoft has Killed?!

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
OK, how do I get Movie Maker today? It's still on some of my older PC's because I installed before it disappeared. And I still use it on those PC's. But, I can't find Movie Maker on MS website anywhere. Do I need to copy the .exe file from and older PC to the newer one?

anon(10440410)

Apr 4, 2018
Visit site
#1 - MS Money - There are no personal finance apps of the caliber of MS Money (or for that matter Intuit Mint, which Intuit pulled in 2015) on the MS Store. MS prides themselves on being the platform of productive people. But I have to ask, what could possibly be more productive than personal and small business finance?

They could even create a cloud version and bundle it with Office Online. They could create a Win32 version and bundle it with Office 365. Having MS Money would be the product that would put me over the top and get me to actually pony up the monthly/yearly subscription.

#2 - Groove - A truly great app, and no good reason for this senseless killing other than Nadella hubris... chasing the AI dream.

#3 - Movie Maker

#4 - Windows 10 mobile - Should MS release Andromeda this year all will be forgiven.

#5 - Skype - I know technically that still exists, but there's a lot of anger about it. It duplicates contacts 1/2 the time. On some of them I can SMS, on others I cannot. And it's different versions of the SAME contact. It's confusing. I can "send" SMS messages, but I can't receive them? And it doesn't do audio messages like Voxer. It's angered so many people I fear its days are numbered.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
1 - Windows Phone/Mobile
2 - Groove (I didn't think I'd miss this one as much. I use Spotify but Groove's app is better)
3 - Band

There are other things that I used and MS cancelled (Windows RT for one) but don't really miss those.

ET

Sent from mTalk

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone/Mobile

MSN Messenger & Skype (the newer Skype version is so dumped down)

The Start menu (the current start menu in Windows 10 is missing in term of features and design).

xxXTechcr3xx

Feb 6, 2019
Visit site
Windows Phone/Mobile

MSN Messenger & Skype (the newer Skype version is so dumped down)

The Start menu (the current start menu in Windows 10 is missing in term of features and design).

But the current Start menu is familiar for Windows 7 users, at least shutdown options, compared to Windows 8 which has rearranged it to Settings charm and forced corners, which is annoying.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
But the current Start menu is familiar for Windows 7 users, at least shutdown options, compared to Windows 8 which has rearranged it to Settings charm and forced corners, which is annoying.

Ha, I recall that after Windows 8 rolled out, many of our customers asked us how to shut down or restart their computer. It was difficult to find. I heard that Microsoft purposely obscured this because they said that rebooting wouldn't be necessary, although I have no clue if that is actually true.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm with you, fatclue. I miss the touch experience of 8.1 I had my ATIV SE running 8.1 My new Surface tablet run ing 8.1 My laptop running 8.1 The perfect synced ecosystem!

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Add 'NEXT' lock screen to my list...they haven't updated this Android App for over a year now; I guess it's another in the LONG list of abandoned Microsoft products...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss