Google is going for the jugular

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
So when I heard about google's announcement of the new chromebook, I was more interested in the pixel 2, however, recently I read a post on slashdot regarding the chromebook, and here's the text;

What does a traditional Android tablet do that a convertible Chromebook doesn't? No matter how long you mull, it's tough to come up with much. Nowadays, a Chromebook runs the same apps from the same Google Play Store. It has an increasingly similar user interface, with a new touch-friendly and Android-reminiscent app launcher rolling out as we speak. It's likely to have an Android-like way of getting around the system before long, too, not to mention native integration of the Google Assistant (which is launching with the newly announced Pixelbook and then presumably spreading to other devices from there). But on top of all of that, a Chromebook offers meaningful advantages a traditional Android tablet simply can't match. It operates within the fast-booting, inherently secure, and free from manufacturer- or carrier-meddling Chrome OS environment. The operating system is updated every two to three weeks, directly by Google, for a minimum of five years. That's a sharp contrast to the software realities we see on Android -- and if you think the updates on Android phones are bad, let me tell you: The situation with Android tablets is worse.

In addition to the regular selection of Android apps, a Chromebook also gives you a desktop-caliber browser experience along with a laptop-level keyboard and capable trackpad. (And, as a side perk, that means you've got a built-in multi-mode stand for your tablet, too.) It's the best of both worlds, as I've put it before -- a whole new kind of platform-defying, all-purpose productivity and entertainment machine. And while it won't immediately lead to the outright extinction of traditional Android tablets, it certainly makes them seem like a watered-down and obsolete version of the same basic experience.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3230136/chrome-os/chromebook-android-tablet.html

Link to full article.

Ok so the point is, I can really start to see where google is going with this now. They're addressing the biggest problem with android and that's how hardware manufacturers and carriers don't support the platform, to the detriment of google, and also, albeit to a lesser extent, try to sideline google from its OS. I wouldn't be surprised if android gets retired for phones, and it moves towards chrome OS, they way it's looking, there's nothing stopping them, and the users won't be any worse off either.

Thing is, this is now directly targeting MS's cash cow, with windows, hence going for the jugular. It's starting to look like for once, MS will have to start competing and won't be able to rely on windows just being a default option.

Now I'm no ****** of MS, but I tend to find them the least worst to use, but the way it's looking, google will methodically aim to dethrone MS from personal computing. All this talk of UWP, and other projects have really come to naught. Fact of the matter is, a lot of newer apps are targeting iOS and android, and not windows, actually completely ignoring windows to be exact. Classic apps, no question, MS dominates, but with the way things are heading, the mobile failures, are really going to leak into a failure to keep windows relevant.

If MS doesn't do something significant in the next couple of years, then I'd say that they'll just be a company in steady decline, like IBM is, and fewer and fewer people will use their platform, and more companies target alternatives. One of the big differences to observe is google is definitely in for the long haul, and going about it methodically and smoothly. MS with their reboots and throwing users under a bus, simply couldn't get their act together.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I agree and have posted elsewhere that I'm concerned Windows 10 is in trouble. There are signs everywhere. UWP blah overall, kids not using Windows, general dislike for Windows 10 (the people I know), iPhone dominance in business, MS missteps and ignoring consumer. IPhone was a consumer device first and now it dominates business. I totally disagree with MS dropping consumer.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
They have the cloud and office, doesn't seem like they care about anything else.

Sent from mTalk

That's thing, eventually others will creep in and even take away office. This is exactly why they couldn't keep office only on windows phone, because it clearly wasn't that big a drawcard to encourage users to adopt windows phone.

If they didn't support android and iOS with office, some other company would have an office package and just become a competitor.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
My 14 and 18 yr old use Google docs along with all their friends cuz that's what they use in school. MS is playing catchup in that realm as well.

I can't help but get the sense that google is playing it out long term, they're carefully trying things, observing and learning from their mistakes and trying to make the next iteration better.

Now, I'm not wedded to MS, but I really don't like google, and would like to avoid them as much as possible. Thing is, they're just becoming more and more entrenched and they do whatever it takes to ensure that.

russeini

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
So when I heard about google's announcement of the new chromebook, I was more interested in the pixel 2, however, recently I read a post on slashdot regarding the chromebook, and here's the text;

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3230136/chrome-os/chromebook-android-tablet.html

Link to full article.

Ok so the point is, I can really start to see where google is going with this now. They're addressing the biggest problem with android and that's how hardware manufacturers and carriers don't support the platform, to the detriment of google, and also, albeit to a lesser extent, try to sideline google from its OS. I wouldn't be surprised if android gets retired for phones, and it moves towards chrome OS, they way it's looking, there's nothing stopping them, and the users won't be any worse off either.

Thing is, this is now directly targeting MS's cash cow, with windows, hence going for the jugular. It's starting to look like for once, MS will have to start competing and won't be able to rely on windows just being a default option.

Now I'm no ****** of MS, but I tend to find them the least worst to use, but the way it's looking, google will methodically aim to dethrone MS from personal computing. All this talk of UWP, and other projects have really come to naught. Fact of the matter is, a lot of newer apps are targeting iOS and android, and not windows, actually completely ignoring windows to be exact. Classic apps, no question, MS dominates, but with the way things are heading, the mobile failures, are really going to leak into a failure to keep windows relevant.

If MS doesn't do something significant in the next couple of years, then I'd say that they'll just be a company in steady decline, like IBM is, and fewer and fewer people will use their platform, and more companies target alternatives. One of the big differences to observe is google is definitely in for the long haul, and going about it methodically and smoothly. MS with their reboots and throwing users under a bus, simply couldn't get their act together.

I agree with u. MS really have a problem but i see it more on the level of decision making. They abandoned windows mobile 10 yrs ago when it was dominating and just watched apple and google build their ecosystems. Then they decided to build from scratch a new mobile os that took them forever to finish and never did...add to this their eyes on getting into the mobile hardware business....then they dumped ms messenger for skype, then they dump windows 8, lately dump windows mobile altogether....they could have stuck there and try to build their own complete ecosystem just like apple and google....they had the money but they just did not have the determination...and just like how their bets failed in the past, nadella's bets will fail as well and ms will come down crumbling! I like ms, i respect how they changed our lives, but i just camt understand where theyre going! Theyve thrown away what made them stick and now every1 knows theyre playing catch up...

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I'm mostly google free other than the occasional YouTube video and gfinance stock data I dump into excel for analysis. I despise google for their control on the worlds information. It's almost frightening.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea