101 uses for an abandoned Windows Mobile Device:

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I still use mine just to confuse people and hear them ask "wow you can get Windows on a phone? When did that happen?"

mutant 9

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
My kids get to use a few 640s.
I still use my X3 a daily driver
My 1520 sits in a drawer fired up once a month or so.
My android Nokia 6 sits on the desk for when I need to accept rent payments via venmo or do eBay stuff.

Stephen Townsley

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
What can you do with your MS abandoned 950xl or other W10M device?

What other ways can we use these bricks?

Personally I think of it like a pocket pc with wifi and a half decent camera. Still like having a camera button.

So I have my Android device and Pocket PC. I can tether it to get some communication going too.

I would prefer if it was a phone and still being developed but it isn't so it just slips in a bag as a Pocket PC.

Jonathan Osachuk

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
I still use my 950XL when I get frustrated with Android and when I go on vacation because of the superior camera and because I like it so much more than my G6. It still does half duty. The 650 is for sale.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I bounce back and forth between my IDOL 4S and Nokia 6. I can't ditch windows completely. Just the look of my lock and start screens are more appealing than my android screen though the Nokia itself has a beautiful screen.

It's the live tiles that do it for many of us.

Neither of my phones takes the pictures that my old Lumia 950 or even my NL 925 did but they are very good. Camera tech in general on these phones has gotten much better overall.

Not as big a deal anymore to the average user I guess.

Last edited:

badtzbuzz

May 31, 2015
Visit site
950xl to read emails, family calendar (native outlook can't be beat), watch YouTube via edge, office lens for scanning, CBS news app to watch their shows... no ads!!! (Android version has ads), read windows central, oh and check the weather...finally, it's my bedside clock and alarm. Glance was on windows phone years before Android, and the selection of alarm tones is second to none.

beameup50

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
I had bought the protection plan on my 950XL and took it back to the MS store for repair so I could sell it for what I could get out of it. But because they didn't have any more to replace with they refunded (well store gift card) my full original purchase amount.

I am a pretty happy camper!

Just_Me

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Use my 920 as a stickup IP Cam. Use my 1520 as a dedicated viewer for my door Ring door bell. Keep my 950 in the jeep for great cam pics.
Use my X3 everyday as my phone and light tab (lapdock) in airports.

anon(9154034)

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Might be a foolish question but I am gonna ask anyway.

Can microsoft do something about our phones so we can flash android firmware on it?

(Not an expert so don't be harsh please)

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Might be a foolish question but I am gonna ask anyway.

Can microsoft do something about our phones so we can flash android firmware on it?

(Not an expert so don't be harsh please)
No, they will not make an effort to do that. You won't find a any drivers or ROMs out there to make that work.

kwright62

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm still using my 950XL and have a 950 still going in my family. I plan to keep using both until a new tablet is released that will serve as a phone.

goncaloncpinto

Jul 28, 2017
Visit site
I'm using my Lumia 950 as a normal Smartphone, as it really is one. I will stop using it when it dies completely or when MS releases something else to substitute it.

TCDM-L950

Nov 1, 2017
Visit site
Daily Driver Work: Apple iphone SE 32Gb. Still use my L950 with additional 128Gb microSD almost daily with hotspot from my iphone or at home via wifi to surf on the internet (because of big screen), mail, use office or let the kids play games (128Gb mSD is loaded with free or bought (Xbox)games or record 60fps 1920x1080 video's. Even bought a few weeks ago a new battery! Men what a difference! A few days ago i stopped being a insider. Long story short: Iphone has the latest apps, better battery life in general, but small screen (SE). Lumia 950 is still my mini laptop for surfing, mailing, using OneDrive, let the kids play all kinds of Xbox games and shoot the best quality video!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro