12-14-2017 05:26 PM
52 123
tools
    Never used it. Have no idea what it is. I generally have no use for “social media”. You see, I have an Actual Life.

Microsoft spent $26 billion on it? Their cluelessness knows no bounds.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    12-10-2017 10:31 PM
    Absolutely less now that there is no app for 8.1!
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    12-10-2017 11:23 PM
    Never used it. Have no idea what it is. I generally have no use for “social media”. You see, I have an Actual Life.
    Well, it's not actually "social media", but you wouldn't' know that since you don't know what it is and haven't used it. It is business networking, which has different uses for different people. I have a life too, and much of it involves working for a living. Having a way to connect with others who do as well, can be beneficial. I do use Facebook because it is a nice way to keep in touch with friends and family which are spread out all over the US and world. I use LinkedIn because it is a way to keep in contact with business acquaintances in a business, not social, environment.

Personally I'm not a big user, and I haven't changed that since the acquisition, nor has the acquisition seemed particularly visible. I don't pay for it, so maybe the paid tiers have changed. The free options seem about the same to me.
    12-10-2017 11:32 PM
    No. Killed LI connection 12 months ago. Staggering MS could spend $26B on LinkedIn yet dump Windows Mobile. They won't get consumer support for anything with mobile voice and SMS - ever again.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    12-10-2017 11:33 PM
    It makes no difference who owns it until a few years after the acquisition
    12-10-2017 11:46 PM
    I use it the same amount. It wouldn't have mattered if Microsoft or some other company acquired it. I keep it regularly updated. It's useful for job searching and networking.
    12-11-2017 12:05 AM
    My usage of it just has not changed .... but it is low since in Europe we have Xing as a strong competetor.
    12-11-2017 03:40 AM
    I use LinkedIn less than I used to, but that's because I have had a stable job for the past 2 years, not because of the acquisition.
    12-11-2017 03:47 AM
    I'm not using it. Mostly because Xing is the way to go in German speaking parts of Europe. And LinkedIn is also not as good looking as Xing imo. The only reason to switch or use LinkedIn in addition would be if my career somehow requires a LinkedIn profile.
    12-11-2017 03:55 AM
    I still didn't get it why microsoft cut the wpm users off after acquiring Linkedin?
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    12-11-2017 05:46 AM
    It seems like a better question here might be, "Has Microsoft done anything good with LinkedIn since it bought the social network?" That seems to be unclear ...
    Guytronic and Kevin Rush like this.
    12-11-2017 07:30 AM
    It seems like a better question here might be, "Has Microsoft done anything good with LinkedIn since it bought the social network?" That seems to be unclear ...
    This is a good question, I hadn't seen a good or even ok use for the acquisition (apart from aquihire) until Microsoft released Resume Assistant last week. This pops up some relevant descriptions and things people list when looking for a job when you make a new resume or CV in Microsoft Word 365 and surfaces some LinkedIn 'for hire' posts. Then I realized that the 26 billion dollar purchase was some kind of play for AI dominance in business data not just the social network. LinkedIn holds the worlds largest repository of business data and its not even close (Xing in Europe probably has better contextual data). If Microsoft can leverage that information and build tools into Office that are immediately helpful and keep people using their Office 365 subscription its probably worth that crazy purchase number.
    Lobo Technician likes this.
    12-11-2017 09:00 AM
    Dramatically less. Since most social networking I do is on my phone, once MS killed the app I hardly use LinkedIn at all. If I get something really pressing that shows up in an email notification from LinkedIn, I'll jump online on my tablet, but outside of that...nada.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    12-11-2017 09:24 AM
    Everybody is connected to everybody on LinkedIn. There is no logic. Hence, I don't use it.
    12-11-2017 09:31 AM
    Not entirely accurate. It's available to sideload and it works fine. I rarely use it, or any social media, but it's good to have to see industry trends.

Sent from my Idol 4S on mTalk
    Sideloading apps? .
    The average person doesn't side load apps :) people like you and I won't have issues sideloading apps if need be but the question remains - why should we sideload an app for a service on Windows which is now officially owned by Microsoft?
    Kevin Rush and libra89 like this.
    12-11-2017 09:48 AM
    I've never really used it. Every now and then I update my profile, but I don't want to connect with work people more than I see them at work, so it's largely useless for me.
    12-11-2017 09:57 AM
    I use LinkedIN much less, very rarely at all, ever since the app stopped working on my Windows mobile phone.
    12-11-2017 10:21 AM
    I used to use LinkedIn, but I have since deleted my account. All it did was get me an endless stream of messages from recruiters, most of which were nowhere close to where I live. Honestly the Microsoft acquisition made no difference for me.
    12-11-2017 10:34 AM
    Sideloading apps? .
    The average person doesn't side load apps :) people like you and I won't have issues sideloading apps if need be but the question remains - why should we sideload an app for a service on Windows which is now officially owned by Microsoft?
    No argument here, it's just that the situation has devolved to that point. It's Windows Mobile, or should we say, Workarounds Mobile.

tgp, libra89, Kevin Rush and 1 others like this.
    12-11-2017 11:07 AM
    Workarounds Mobile
    Ha ha, I laughed out loud at this one!
    libra89, fatclue_98 and TechFreak1 like this.
    12-11-2017 11:11 AM
    I've used it and still use it to keep my online resume up to date but it is such an absolute waste of time. I personally don't know anyone who has ever actually gotten a job from LinkedIn, I only ever get recruiter queries with no offers, and no one in my LinkedIn "network" has ever been helpful.

Now, if there was some kind of incentive to using it for it's intended purpose (getting jobs, finding talent), maybe there could be some real value there. Rating recruiters and companies, acquiring points/status for actually placing people with jobs, using AI to push qualified/matching candidates to an employer's new job posting, etc.
    12-11-2017 01:20 PM
    I'd say that I use it about the same to more. I average a couple times a week reviewing connections, posts, and articles. I spend about once or twice a month surveying my local market for opportunities (SQL Server architecture/ administration).
    12-11-2017 03:20 PM
    I use it less since Microsoft broke the link with the people hub in WM10.
    12-11-2017 04:04 PM
    No argument here, it's just that the situation has devolved to that point. It's Windows Mobile, or should we say, Workarounds Mobile.

Haha, "Workarounds Mobile". That's pretty much the case these days or rather has been for a long time.
    12-12-2017 05:41 PM
    Greetings,

I've been using LinkedIn almost since its launch and to be honest I didn't notice any difference with Microsoft's acquisition.

For me it's a nice professional social network to keep in touch with professionals from my area, to take a look on profiles from people my organization wants to hire and also to "publicize" a lit bit my blog.

Maybe...what we may not notice since Microsoft acquisition of LinkedIn is all the information that Microsoft can use from that website to other services like Cortana and Microsoft Graph.
    12-13-2017 05:02 AM
52 123