LinkedIn, do you use it?

dumbog

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I am one of those that still uses a Windows Mobile 10 Lumia 950 and I used to check LinkedIn when I had the app atleast once a week. Ever since they removed the app on their own OS, I haven't checked LinkedIn in a few months.

PeterFnet

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I use it less after the app for phone was killed and turned into a web app. It was adding insult to injury when the web app's UI would pop up and remind me there's an Android app!

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Are you kidding, I use it less since they bought it. Can't see much, if any difference. After they stopped support on their own phones for it and I switched to Android I just about quit using it at all.

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
Never used it. Have no idea what it is. I generally have no use for “social media”. You see, I have an Actual Life.

Microsoft spent $26 billion on it? Their cluelessness knows no bounds.

SvenJ

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Never used it. Have no idea what it is. I generally have no use for “social media”. You see, I have an Actual Life.

Well, it's not actually "social media", but you wouldn't' know that since you don't know what it is and haven't used it. It is business networking, which has different uses for different people. I have a life too, and much of it involves working for a living. Having a way to connect with others who do as well, can be beneficial. I do use Facebook because it is a nice way to keep in touch with friends and family which are spread out all over the US and world. I use LinkedIn because it is a way to keep in contact with business acquaintances in a business, not social, environment.

Personally I'm not a big user, and I haven't changed that since the acquisition, nor has the acquisition seemed particularly visible. I don't pay for it, so maybe the paid tiers have changed. The free options seem about the same to me.

Charlie Robertson

Dec 11, 2017
Visit site
No. Killed LI connection 12 months ago. Staggering MS could spend $26B on LinkedIn yet dump Windows Mobile. They won't get consumer support for anything with mobile voice and SMS - ever again.

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I use it the same amount. It wouldn't have mattered if Microsoft or some other company acquired it. I keep it regularly updated. It's useful for job searching and networking.

noirsoft

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I use LinkedIn less than I used to, but that's because I have had a stable job for the past 2 years, not because of the acquisition.

stewardrose

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm not using it. Mostly because Xing is the way to go in German speaking parts of Europe. And LinkedIn is also not as good looking as Xing imo. The only reason to switch or use LinkedIn in addition would be if my career somehow requires a LinkedIn profile.

Al Sacco

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
It seems like a better question here might be, "Has Microsoft done anything good with LinkedIn since it bought the social network?" That seems to be unclear ...

themobiledivide

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
It seems like a better question here might be, "Has Microsoft done anything good with LinkedIn since it bought the social network?" That seems to be unclear ...

This is a good question, I hadn't seen a good or even ok use for the acquisition (apart from aquihire) until Microsoft released Resume Assistant last week. This pops up some relevant descriptions and things people list when looking for a job when you make a new resume or CV in Microsoft Word 365 and surfaces some LinkedIn 'for hire' posts. Then I realized that the 26 billion dollar purchase was some kind of play for AI dominance in business data not just the social network. LinkedIn holds the worlds largest repository of business data and its not even close (Xing in Europe probably has better contextual data). If Microsoft can leverage that information and build tools into Office that are immediately helpful and keep people using their Office 365 subscription its probably worth that crazy purchase number.

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Dramatically less. Since most social networking I do is on my phone, once MS killed the app I hardly use LinkedIn at all. If I get something really pressing that shows up in an email notification from LinkedIn, I'll jump online on my tablet, but outside of that...nada.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Not entirely accurate. It's available to sideload and it works fine. I rarely use it, or any social media, but it's good to have to see industry trends.

Sent from my Idol 4S on mTalk

Sideloading apps? :grin:.
The average person doesn't side load apps :) people like you and I won't have issues sideloading apps if need be but the question remains - why should we sideload an app for a service on Windows which is now officially owned by Microsoft?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes