The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
01-24-2018 11:07 PM
37 12
tools
    Overpriced? Yes.

But as I type this on my $800 Samsung Galaxy S8, I can confidently say that iPhones are the best made phones with the most polished, well performing operating systems.
    01-23-2018 05:00 PM
    They are indeed high-end products, but without headphone jacks, microSD card slots, 4K displays and removable batteries, I think that they should be priced below $1000 CAD.
    01-23-2018 05:26 PM
    Iphone users just wants to be fancy and cool. It's only about the looks. Because if you buy an iPhone, you are telling people of you status. Apple, mac, they are so cool.
    01-23-2018 05:29 PM
    Agreed.
    There is a limit for everyone and everything. iPhones have generally been worth it both for their performance and support.
    The fact that the 8 outsold the X may mean they have reached a threshold though.
    libra89 likes this.
    01-23-2018 05:41 PM
    Iphone users just wants to be fancy and cool. It's only about the looks. Because if you buy an iPhone, you are telling people of you status. Apple, mac, they are so cool.
    Read all the other comments. You might learn something.
    01-23-2018 05:44 PM
    Value is a perception, some see value in a product that others may not, it isn't that one product is "overpriced" if people are willing to pay the money, then clearly it isn't.
    01-23-2018 08:08 PM
    "Over priced iPhones. Is Apple fooling people? We all know that iPhones are over priced."
    Gee, can you be any more open minded in posing the topic? Seems almost pointless in responding. I'm currently an iPhone X user and find it an excellent device. On top of the great physical size for the screen, I have 256G of storage without the limitations of micro SD. The 10 has probably the best optical security I have used, including Windows Hello on laptops and Lumias. I have been a Windows Phone (and Mobile) user for a long time, and also have a Pixel. I have always had Apple devices as well myself and in the household. The customer service is unmatched. That is worth something. iPhone resale value is typically outstanding, if you should go that route, and if not, I still have a 6S that has been upgraded to the latest version of iOS. The battery in it is fine, BTW. iPhones have longevity, in spite of the recent bad press. The eco-system surrounding Apple units is unparalleled. As an example, I only needed to pair my Beats X earphones with my iPhone. My iPad, Mini and MacBook all immediately understood and could use them without having to pair, or re-pair, them. iPhones have some of the greatest amount of third party support just because there are fewer models to support compared to the Android forest of manufacturers and models. CarPlay has more features than Android Auto and is better represented, so getting an iPhone makes it easier to take advantage of that. There are lots of things that you wind up benefiting more from by getting and iPhone, than just the iPhone itself, and that is worth something. A Lexus costs more than a Toyota. The advantages may not be important to you, but that doesn't reduce the value. Flagship Android phones (Samsung) aren't all that much cheaper than comparable iPhones when you get right to it. Few buy these outright anyway. People take advantage of carrier based 0% financing. With that we are talking $5-10 a month between high end iPhone and high end Androids.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-23-2018 08:33 PM
    Apple crossed a line in the last couple of years. I don't think there is much doubt the iPhone 8 with its outdated design and the iPhone X that starts at $1,000 are overpriced. Apple neglected its product line rather than engage in normal evolution at a consistent price. I have hopes with the rumored 6.1" LCD model for next year in the $650-$750 range. That is what should have been released as the 8 this year and the X should have been delayed until AMOLED screen prices came down to where they were comparable to LCD. Comparing the 8 to the X, I don't see justification to pay $350 more for a longer AMOLED screen and FaceID.

I like Apple devices and have had multiple iPhones since the 3GS, but for now I'm still trudging along on my 6 Plus. There isn't reasonable value to me upgrading to either an 8 or an X, and if I was a new customer I would be looking at the $550 iPhone 7 as opposed to the $700 iPhone 8. I like Apple's software better, but just looking at hardware they are nowhere near competitive with the flagship Android phones.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-24-2018 10:12 AM
    Apple iPhone users are paying for customer servicing.
    Fans of the iPhone want a trouble free experience so they are willing to pay for it.
    If only that were still true. My wife left Apple a few months ago, and she has had fewer issues on her Note 8 than she did on her iPhone the last few years. Apple is hardly the same as they were when Jobs was still running the company. All Cook cares about is milking that cow for all he can.
    Old_Mil likes this.
    01-24-2018 04:54 PM
    "Over priced iPhones. Is Apple fooling people? We all know that iPhones are over priced."
    Gee, can you be any more open minded in posing the topic?
    Sorry, but you're calling out the op for not being open minded, but then it seems you are so in love with Apple that it is skewing your perspective.

First of all, limitations of MicroSD? That may have been the case in years past, but now it's possible to seamlessly add storage to your phone as if it were all the same and you get the benefit of being able to add more anytime you want. It's also cheaper.

Regarding your beats, you act like it is such a huge inconvenience to to do things like tap-to-pair. It literally takes a second to pair, and you are not tied to just Apple headphones which are pretty mediocre for the price.

Yes, it's true, iPhones do have great 3rd party support, but everything is hampered by Apple trying to control everything. If it's not made by Apple, it will be limited in some way. It's the reason I left Apple and haven't looked back. It's ok for some people, and it has some advantages, but don't pretend like it's all rainbows and unicorns.

How exactly is CarPlay better represented? There are very few, if any, radios that don't support Android Auto that do support CarPlay.

You mention the cost of Samsung flagships, but you failed to add in the cost of accessories. Lightning cables are twice the cost of USB-C or micro USB. All the dongles and attachments are more expensive too. Even Apples "budget" options are still more expensive than the cheaper flagship options from brands like Huawei, Xiaomi, etc.

In the end, it really just comes across like you are trying to justify why you have an iPhone. Different strokes for different folks. My Dad has an iPhone and I didn't try to talk him out of it. Just gave him the facts and let him make his own choice. Some people like Apple, some people don't. It's great that we have choices, because everyone has different preferences.

P.S. try using the return key every once in a while and add a paragraph when appropriate. It makes it far easier to read.
    Last edited by Snapperlicious; 01-24-2018 at 05:25 PM.
    Celso Rodrigues likes this.
    01-24-2018 05:14 PM
    Agreed.
    There is a limit for everyone and everything. iPhones have generally been worth it both for their performance and support.
    The fact that the 8 outsold the X may mean they have reached a threshold though.
    I think the only threshold they reached is the value of the phone. The Note 8 only cost $50 less, and that phone has been selling very well. The reality is the iPhone X doesn't offer enough improvement over the 8 to justify the substantial cost increase. Add in the fact that some will be turned off by the unibrow, and it is easy to see why it's not selling great. BTW, if Jobs were still around he wouldn't have released the iPhone X until he could do this.
    Last edited by Snapperlicious; 01-25-2018 at 09:29 AM.
    01-24-2018 05:32 PM
    01-24-2018 11:07 PM
37 12