Over priced iPhones. Is Apple fooling people?

Existence_Inc

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I am platform agnostic (BBOS, BB10, Meego, WP8/.1/10, Android 2.2-7.0) and I will be changing to the more expensive iPhone platform this year. 4-5 years worth of OS updates and security updates is a significant factor. In addition, I value my Privacy, and since BB has moved to Android, I feel like iPhone is the only secure platform left. Modern iPhones also allow flexibility when choosing carriers, as they work on all major U.S. Networks. When I consider these factors, it isn't unreasonable to pay the necessary premium. That isn't even including the after-sale service that Apple provides (including battery replacements).

It isn't all roses for me however; I would be quite pleased if they would bring back the headphone port and give me the option to use external storage, but...

~Ex

NOTE: I always pay for my devices outright. So, $900+ for a device is no small thing for a tool.

[Edited for Clarity]

Vincent McLaughlin

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Hell, I spent 800 on my Note 8. So, it's just a matter on what you are willing to spend money on. I'm not a fan of iPhone, for that matter, not a fan of Android either. However, I decided to go with Android, because I can customize it more than iPhone. Im not saying either is bad, I just have my preference, but it is no longer a real option, unless you just want a phone that works well for basic smartphone features.

vzzbuckz

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
The only phones where you can be guaranteed timely security patches are iPhones, Google Pixel and Windows Phones. As Windows Phones account for a very small percentage, let's say Pixel and iPhones. Both are similar prices. Iphones have been around far longer than Pixels and so people will stay with what they know.

iPhones work well and hold their value. I've just picked up a used iPhone 6S plus for about $350 and it's in perfect condition. iOS is also fairly similar similar and Apple keeps updating them for at least 4 years.

As such, overall, if you want security and regular updates - Apple is your only viable choice for the long term.

Old_Mil

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
If you follow the financial news, JP Morgan cut sales forecasts for the iPhone X by like forty percent, saying the results were worse than the iPhone 8.

Perhaps Apple is starting to lose traction.

blazewon22

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
There are lots of reasons why people choose iOS over other phones. As one who moved back and forth from iPhone to Android to Windows and now back to iPhone, it came down to a couple of reasons:

1. Apps - I don't have to worry about my apps being real or ridden with malware. I get them first, they get patched first. All big issues with Android and now the non-existent Windows Mobile

2. Support - I dropped my phone on a road trip, walked into a store and had it repaired in a couple of hours. When I had an Android phone i sent it in and got another model returned to me in 48 hours. I dropped my Windows Phone and no one could fix it. I can call Apple if it freezes or walk into a store for a quick question.

3. Resale Value - I can sell my phone for a new model and get 50-60% of the original value. My Lumia 950 went for peanuts after a year. Android phone was like 30% of its value

4. OS Simplicity - Parental Controls, AirDrop, iMessage, FaceTime for 10 years these things have just worked. Android has changed default apps several times. Windows was super unstable requiring daily reboots. Camera was good but the software sucked. Maps couldn't find basic addresses. All of these things went away with an iPhone.

With financing the cost difference is pretty negligible and in the US its 0% interest. Its basically a utility cost. I looked at the Pixel 2 as it was pretty intriguing. In the end it wasn't on my carrier and I didn't want to finance through Google. Loving my iPhone 8 plus and have had no issues. My brother got the Pixel and is frustrated.

unmorphed

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Overpriced? Yes.

But as I type this on my $800 Samsung Galaxy S8, I can confidently say that iPhones are the best made phones with the most polished, well performing operating systems.

LuxuryTouringZone

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
They are indeed high-end products, but without headphone jacks, microSD card slots, 4K displays and removable batteries, I think that they should be priced below $1000 CAD.

Bratnikola

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Iphone users just wants to be fancy and cool. It's only about the looks. Because if you buy an iPhone, you are telling people of you status. Apple, mac, they are so cool.

Sin Ogaris

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Value is a perception, some see value in a product that others may not, it isn't that one product is "overpriced" if people are willing to pay the money, then clearly it isn't.

SvenJ

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
"Over priced iPhones. Is Apple fooling people? We all know that iPhones are over priced."
Gee, can you be any more open minded in posing the topic? Seems almost pointless in responding. I'm currently an iPhone X user and find it an excellent device. On top of the great physical size for the screen, I have 256G of storage without the limitations of micro SD. The 10 has probably the best optical security I have used, including Windows Hello on laptops and Lumias. I have been a Windows Phone (and Mobile) user for a long time, and also have a Pixel. I have always had Apple devices as well myself and in the household. The customer service is unmatched. That is worth something. iPhone resale value is typically outstanding, if you should go that route, and if not, I still have a 6S that has been upgraded to the latest version of iOS. The battery in it is fine, BTW. iPhones have longevity, in spite of the recent bad press. The eco-system surrounding Apple units is unparalleled. As an example, I only needed to pair my Beats X earphones with my iPhone. My iPad, Mini and MacBook all immediately understood and could use them without having to pair, or re-pair, them. iPhones have some of the greatest amount of third party support just because there are fewer models to support compared to the Android forest of manufacturers and models. CarPlay has more features than Android Auto and is better represented, so getting an iPhone makes it easier to take advantage of that. There are lots of things that you wind up benefiting more from by getting and iPhone, than just the iPhone itself, and that is worth something. A Lexus costs more than a Toyota. The advantages may not be important to you, but that doesn't reduce the value. Flagship Android phones (Samsung) aren't all that much cheaper than comparable iPhones when you get right to it. Few buy these outright anyway. People take advantage of carrier based 0% financing. With that we are talking $5-10 a month between high end iPhone and high end Androids.

78Bandit

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Apple crossed a line in the last couple of years. I don't think there is much doubt the iPhone 8 with its outdated design and the iPhone X that starts at $1,000 are overpriced. Apple neglected its product line rather than engage in normal evolution at a consistent price. I have hopes with the rumored 6.1" LCD model for next year in the $650-$750 range. That is what should have been released as the 8 this year and the X should have been delayed until AMOLED screen prices came down to where they were comparable to LCD. Comparing the 8 to the X, I don't see justification to pay $350 more for a longer AMOLED screen and FaceID.

I like Apple devices and have had multiple iPhones since the 3GS, but for now I'm still trudging along on my 6 Plus. There isn't reasonable value to me upgrading to either an 8 or an X, and if I was a new customer I would be looking at the $550 iPhone 7 as opposed to the $700 iPhone 8. I like Apple's software better, but just looking at hardware they are nowhere near competitive with the flagship Android phones.

Snapperlicious

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Apple iPhone users are paying for customer servicing.
Fans of the iPhone want a trouble free experience so they are willing to pay for it.

If only that were still true. My wife left Apple a few months ago, and she has had fewer issues on her Note 8 than she did on her iPhone the last few years. Apple is hardly the same as they were when Jobs was still running the company. All Cook cares about is milking that cow for all he can.

Snapperlicious

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
"Over priced iPhones. Is Apple fooling people? We all know that iPhones are over priced."
Gee, can you be any more open minded in posing the topic?

Sorry, but you're calling out the op for not being open minded, but then it seems you are so in love with Apple that it is skewing your perspective.

First of all, limitations of MicroSD? That may have been the case in years past, but now it's possible to seamlessly add storage to your phone as if it were all the same and you get the benefit of being able to add more anytime you want. It's also cheaper.

Regarding your beats, you act like it is such a huge inconvenience to to do things like tap-to-pair. It literally takes a second to pair, and you are not tied to just Apple headphones which are pretty mediocre for the price.

Yes, it's true, iPhones do have great 3rd party support, but everything is hampered by Apple trying to control everything. If it's not made by Apple, it will be limited in some way. It's the reason I left Apple and haven't looked back. It's ok for some people, and it has some advantages, but don't pretend like it's all rainbows and unicorns.

How exactly is CarPlay better represented? There are very few, if any, radios that don't support Android Auto that do support CarPlay.

You mention the cost of Samsung flagships, but you failed to add in the cost of accessories. Lightning cables are twice the cost of USB-C or micro USB. All the dongles and attachments are more expensive too. Even Apples "budget" options are still more expensive than the cheaper flagship options from brands like Huawei, Xiaomi, etc.

In the end, it really just comes across like you are trying to justify why you have an iPhone. Different strokes for different folks. My Dad has an iPhone and I didn't try to talk him out of it. Just gave him the facts and let him make his own choice. Some people like Apple, some people don't. It's great that we have choices, because everyone has different preferences.

P.S. try using the return key every once in a while and add a paragraph when appropriate. It makes it far easier to read.

Last edited:

Snapperlicious

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Agreed.
There is a limit for everyone and everything. iPhones have generally been worth it both for their performance and support.
The fact that the 8 outsold the X may mean they have reached a threshold though.

I think the only threshold they reached is the value of the phone. The Note 8 only cost $50 less, and that phone has been selling very well. The reality is the iPhone X doesn't offer enough improvement over the 8 to justify the substantial cost increase. Add in the fact that some will be turned off by the unibrow, and it is easy to see why it's not selling great. BTW, if Jobs were still around he wouldn't have released the iPhone X until he could do this.

Last edited:

Andrew G1

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site
Apple is a very, very successful luxury brand. That's not really knocking it, but it means that people aren't buying iPhones for practical reasons. A $250 Motorola phone will do wonders, but it's not cool enough for many people.

Originally posted by anon(7929613)
We all know that iPhones are over priced. But people still buy it. Other equally good phones sell at half it's price. So is Apple fooling people? And if the answer is yes, then why are people not ditching iPhones?

It's not that Apple is making ground breaking stuff today when it comes to phones.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, but you're calling out the op for not being open minded, but then it seems you are so in love with Apple that it is skewing your perspective.

First of all, limitations of MicroSD? That may have been the case in years past, but now it's possible to seamlessly add storage to your phone as if it were all the same and you get the benefit of being able to add more anytime you want. It's also cheaper.

Regarding your beats, you act like it is such a huge inconvenience to to do things like tap-to-pair. It literally takes a second to pair, and you are not tied to just Apple headphones which are pretty mediocre for the price.

Yes, it's true, iPhones do have great 3rd party support, but everything is hampered by Apple trying to control everything. If it's not made by Apple, it will be limited in some way. It's the reason I left Apple and haven't looked back. It's ok for some people, and it has some advantages, but don't pretend like it's all rainbows and unicorns.

How exactly is CarPlay better represented? There are very few, if any, radios that don't support Android Auto that do support CarPlay.

You mention the cost of Samsung flagships, but you failed to add in the cost of accessories. Lightning cables are twice the cost of USB-C or micro USB. All the dongles and attachments are more expensive too. Even Apples "budget" options are still more expensive than the cheaper flagship options from brands like Huawei, Xiaomi, etc.

In the end, it really just comes across like you are trying to justify why you have an iPhone. Different strokes for different folks. My Dad has an iPhone and I didn't try to talk him out of it. Just gave him the facts and let him make his own choice. Some people like Apple, some people don't. It's great that we have choices, because everyone has different preferences.

P.S. try using the return key every once in a while and add a paragraph when appropriate. It makes it far easier to read.

The thing is, I'd say he's right. Like you said, different strokes for different folks. The OP came across to me as trying to say "Anyone who buys iPhone is being fooled and Android is the only way forward" which I'd disagree with. Apple isn't fooling people, like the person you quoted said. They're just putting forward a value proposition that people feel is worth it.

Now that being said, I don't know of the feature differences between CarPlay and Android Auto, so it may be the feature difference isn't as bad as he says. And here's another reason to consider sticking with Apple: Ecosystem investment. Let's say you've bought £10'000 in apps in the time you've had iPhones, and you'd have to re-buy them on Android. Not something you really want to do.

Oh, and before I get comments of "You're trying to justify your iPhone purchase" - I don't have one, nor do I want one. I don't like iOS. I prefer WP but understanding that I'm beating a dead horse sticking with that platform I swapped to Android. But, I know that iOS has its advantages for people such as simplicity and consistency. As more of a power user though, Android is the better choice (plus, it's much easier to Microsoftify the Android device). I'm running a £200 Nokia 6. Great phone by the way.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Overpriced YES.
Fooling us NO!
You can see other premium brands like Prada and Chanel which are offering the same leather products as cheap brands but they are priced because of exclusive design and better experiance. Same is the case with Iphone.

Agreed.

It’s not like they are hiding the price. People aren’t being fooled.

Are prices too high? I believe so. People can spend their money any way they want though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs