Over priced iPhones. Is Apple fooling people?

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
We all know that iPhones are over priced. But people still buy it. Other equally good phones sell at half it's price. So is Apple fooling people? And if the answer is yes, then why are people not ditching iPhones?

It's not that Apple is making ground breaking stuff today when it comes to phones.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I would say that Apple nails the general basics well for your average person buying a phone and the performance is generally pretty good.

Saying that iPhones are overpriced is speaking like we are back in 2015. There are also phones on the Android side that are as well.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Apple iPhone users are paying for customer servicing.
Fans of the iPhone want a trouble free experience so they are willing to pay for it.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Fans of the iPhone want a trouble free experience so they are willing to pay for it.

And that's what they get. Solid device (both hardware, software, and ecosystem), excellent customer service, and consistency. We know that the updated version of the iPhone will be released in September.

These things are worth a lot. Don't tell me that a lot of people here wouldn't pay a pretty penny for the same thing from Microsoft.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

Nokia Care used to provide exceptional service, yet they never charged this much. I am not against expensive gadgets but I refuse to pay a premium for branding. I think it's high time that people teach Apple a lesson. They are anyways not bringing anything new or innovative to the table.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Nokia Care used to provide exceptional service, yet they never charged this much. I am not against expensive gadgets but I refuse to pay a premium for branding. I think it's high time that people teach Apple a lesson. They are anyways not bringing anything new or innovative to the table.
Nokia care may have been great outside the US so I'm not able judge there. All I know is customer service in any Apple store is exemplary.
This discussion reminds me of automotive tires. It's not about the tires it's all about the service after sale.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
iPhones aren't my thing (my wife it tis) and not fond of their pricing buuuut - due to the fact I've experienced first hand that their products work and work well, have top rate build quality, and great support, there's several Apple products in my household. Also, when it comes to a phone recommendation an iPhone is usually tops on my list.

Yes there's lots I loathe about iPhone and Apple products in general but find at the end of the day, the good outweighs the bad, at least for us it does.

Oh yeah, don't forget if you want a product that has zillions of accessories available the iPhone is it. :winktongue:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I think the non-iphone people believe everyone lays down 1000 dollars or more for the phone the day they grab one.
Don't forget iPhones are usually paid for in conjunction with term carrier plans.

There are a few other high priced phones out there other than Apples products.
I paid 600 bucks last year for a phone with little to zero customer service. My carrier could care less about me also since I'm not subscribing to one of their pricey multiple line plans.

Many users want that all inclusive deal to make smartphone life simple.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Apple can charge whatever they want. But the main question is should we pay more? Its not 2007 and the experience that iPhone provides is not exclusive to iPhones anymore.
We'll iPhone users don't have a problem paying for what they get.
I'm almost sure Apple is very good at tracking what their customers will bear.

Apple has built a solid core following and will continue to maintain their place with the generic user.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Apple is a fashion company and the ipod phone is their main shiny... and boy oh boy do people loooove the shiny...

Except the iPods are no more :(

Anyways, I think Apple's five years of iPhone support is something Android can't officially match so there's that, and they also hold their value well too.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Apple is just trying to wring the last profit from the iPhone before we move in to the post smart phone era. Not an unreasonable move if they can pull it off with these big fees, but I sort of doubt this will make more money than selling them a bit cheaper. The price of all smart phones will dive soon once they're yesterday's tech, and whilst Android phones will live on for some time due to size and gravity Apple's customers love the cutting edge and will likely be looking to the next big thing.

The age of the not-Phone is almost here, starting this year hopefully then come 2019 we'll be seeing much shifting about and by 2020 smart phones will be retro pieces and situationally trendy (where you don't want to lose/damage/have stolen your main mobile device). So, the question is how much will Apple charge for their post smart phone device? Will the not-iPhone be more expensive even than the iPhone? Or the same price? I wonder on the impact of Apple's prices on the Surface not-Phone...

omarkazi

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
We all know that iPhones are over priced. But people still buy it. Other equally good phones sell at half it's price. So is Apple fooling people? And if the answer is yes, then why are people not ditching iPhones?

It's not that Apple is making ground breaking stuff today when it comes to phones.

Yes, Apple phones are a fashion or status brand...so definitely overpriced. There technology actually is simplistic and frustrating for power users. They have poor to mediocre battery life so I laugh at users with their massive battery backs added on.

rromerof

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

Yes it's true about the price being a little high. It is also true that, me, having an iPhone 6s, I still have software updates, the OS and software is pretty stable (although iOS 11 was such a disappointment, it is miles ahead from what W10M intended to be). Being almost two and a half years old, I still can resell it for a good price and it can work well for a couple more years. When I was using Windows phones, I used to feel that I had to renew my device every year, that or the risk of not receiving the last updates, I think that is crap.

Paying a price for something that can last for 4 years, I wouldn't regret it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
:wink:

gamo62

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site

It's two things. Apple consistently makes a solid product. And they support it for more than 2 years with IOS upgrades. I have been a long time anti-Apple person, going back to Symbian. But with Microsoft's negligence in duping customers with Windows Phone, I went with Apple. I know it will be a good product, virus free, but they will support it for at least 4 years. That, and the battery won't burn my house down.

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
They're not overpriced. The revenues are going to the wrong places.

When you have assemblers jumping off buildings, they're not getting paid enough.
When you have child labor assemblers violating China's overtime rules for kids, they're not getting paid enough.
When you have enclosure manufacturers working in noxious environments without proper protective gear, they're not getting adequate workplace safety.

This is the reality of our consumer electronics addictions. Profits go to the shareholders while the workers endure abhorrent conditions.

Buy buy buy, it's your duty in this upside down capitalist world.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786