05-24-2018 06:52 AM
65 123
tools
    I have an S7 and I don't see the need at the moment. I'm waiting for something drastically different to come out.
    02-25-2018 04:02 AM
    @Guytronic haha.

I personally stick with what works and if it stops working I fix it or attempt to fix it haha.

Bar the Lumia 920 every single phone I bought has been second, third, 10th even 20th hand. Then stick a sim only contract in the phone and save money in the long run.

Come to think of it... things I own break down usually allll the time it seems...

As every electronic device or gadget I own seems to give up the ghost after awhile. Never figured out why... I bet that damn Casper is upto mischief again as my motherboard is literally dying on me then theres my hdmi switch which magically can be controlled by my TV remote with the volume down button and the hdmi cables, the routers, headphones, hard drives, electronic radiators, smartphones etc.. all seem to misteriously stop working when used. Left for awhile and they start magically working again! lol.

I suppose one silver lining about all these things breaking down, I'm learning hell of a lot haha.
    02-25-2018 05:34 AM
    I used to buy more often but I have settled down lately. Still using an iPhone 7 and SE. we’ll see what comes later this year but both are still serving me well and getting the latest updates so no hurry.
    libra89 and Joe920 like this.
    02-25-2018 07:44 AM
    If you play guitar, you may be familiar with this thing called Guitar Acquisition Syndrome, or GAS for short. GAS is a mental illness where you purchase way too many guitars and/or music related hardware and software. People with GAS typically own over 10 guitars in their current inventory, and it is very dangerous to their financial standing to go to Guitar Center. I started to think I was having symptoms of GAS. I would say I had PreGAS. To prevent from going into full GAS, I decided to track my musical expenditures in a simple spread sheet. Every music related purchase goes in this spreadsheet. The spreadsheet calculates my average monthly spending since its inception and keeps track of how old things are. I started the spreadsheet in 2007. It shows almost $5000 in spending. I suspect there is a related mental illness for phones like Phone Acquisition Syndrome (PAS). If you think you have PAS, I would try the spreadsheet thing, and if you can remember, back populate the spreadsheet with past purchases. You might be surprised to see how much money you are spending on phones. To answer the question of the forum, I don't personally have enough data points to really contribute. I have only owned two phones so far. I would say I was a late adopter of smartphones. I was turned off by the cost of the data plans. In 2013, T-Mobile came out with no-contract plans that were affordable and didn't require a two year commitment. That is when I thought it made economic sense to get a smartphone. Since then, I have only owned two phones: a Nokia Lumia 520 in 2013, and a Microsoft Lumia 950 in 2015. I'm currently waiting for the Andromeda. I will purchase the Andromeda just to have the latest, which is not typical of my computing purchases.
    02-25-2018 09:40 AM
    Upgrade---not as often as I use to. I use to get a newer phone to trial like once a month.

Switch---too often. Sometimes once a week. I have more than several devices (I think at least 6 different models), all Windows phones that I shuffle between for different reasons. Primarily I use the 950 xl.
    02-25-2018 10:51 AM
    Simple question here for the community - how often do you upgrade or switch phones?
    I rarely upgrade or switch unless the phone is old and support disappears. I buy a flagship phone every few years to get the best experience, support, and have something that works. The only exception to this has been my 950XL, which was a terrible experience (bugs and restarts) and all support disappeared. Onto an iPhone X now since there's nothing new from MS.

I miss my HTC 8X.
    02-25-2018 01:40 PM
    Presently I'm switching between iOS and Android almost weekly.

Going between android LG V30 - Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact - and Pixel 2...iPhone 8 plus.

...haven't used my Idol 4S or 950XL in almost 2 months.

All of these phones are very nice to use. I'm using the Pixel 2 more than others it seems. It's very simple, very fast/efficient. I prefer the Sony's interface tho ... I like their software. I love the wide angle camera option on the LG ... that and the quality of the audio captured with video is outstanding ... best of all of them in my opinion. So it's the phone of choice for me at a concert. .... Sony comes close tho. iPhone is no slouch either. The video audio on the Pixel is OK ... but LG beats them all in that department.
    Last edited by mark233; 02-28-2018 at 04:33 PM.
    Guytronic, libra89 and nate0 like this.
    02-25-2018 03:42 PM
    About yearly, when either I have an itch to upgrade or am required to due to circumstances. More often than I'd like honestly. In hindsight I probably should've dropped Windows two years ago instead of getting a used Icon.

The best overall phone I had was probably the HTC 8X bought used for a steal, something like 150CAD a few months after release. WP8 was super fast and stable (some 3rd party apps notwithstanding), still had a lot of the 'hub' concept and integration going for it, decent enough camera and I wasn't feeling the hurt from the app gap like I do now. Too bad I knocked it from a bunk bed in my sleep and severely cracked the screen, but it was starting to have connection issues with the headphone jack and microUSB port already.

I've got an Essential phone on the way to replace my 950 XL which has been a big disappointment throughout, glad I only spent 230CAD on it used a year ago.

Costs keeps creeping up though, the Essential was a good deal for 310CAD spread over the next two years,I really hope it lasts me that long.
    Guytronic likes this.
    02-25-2018 04:17 PM
    For me it's only about once in three years.
    02-26-2018 08:39 AM
    Simple question here for the community - how often do you upgrade or switch phones?

I still use my Iphone 5s, my kids have: 1- iPhone 8 and the other Samsung S7 Edge
    Now I will use my daughter's old iPhone 6s
    02-27-2018 01:40 PM
    Whenever an app I need no longer works on the OS version I have.
    03-29-2018 04:59 AM
    Far more often than needed. Likely between 4-5 a year I'd say.
    libra89 likes this.
    03-29-2018 08:33 AM
    Every 2 - 3 years for me.
    04-21-2018 10:14 AM
    Not frequently as I remember. only 2-3 times per month.
    04-21-2018 10:17 AM
    Basically when the phone dies, or does not function properly.
    I agree with that! Unfortunately I had quite bad luck with my last phones and had to buy a new one about once a year
    05-24-2018 06:52 AM
65 123