How often do you upgrade or switch phones?

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I used to get one every 2 or 3 years, but the 950XL is my last smart phone. When this one dies, if I haven't got a not-Phone by then I'll get the cheapest phone I can find that will allow tethering. Some dumb phones can do this but they seem unbelievably difficult to actually buy. I do have a 930 and an 820 on hand to cover tethering until I can find out how tethering dumb phones are acquired. I shall use a small Windows tethered tablet with it.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Used to be every two years, but since I stopped being at the mercy of a carrier's contract I have switched freely whenever I feel like it. That has me averaging about 3 times a year for the last 4 years, but I recently have slowed that down. I'm hoping to get down to once a year or every 18 months, but I am weak to new tech.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I was upgrading yearly then the prices started becoming insanely high for some. Switched phones (with those already owned) every week or so as well. Now, we've found a "mid-range" phone that did not cost an arm and a leg and gets the job done perfectly fine for my needs. So for the first time in a long time we've been rockin' our latest purchase for three months straight with no hankering for the latest-n-greatest nor to switch. Do keep my second line active using one of my other phones but for the most part it/they rarely see the light of day now.

Bill Daugherty

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Simple question here for the community - how often do you upgrade or switch phones?
When it no longer works. I had a Nokia 640 that I had been using for years and it quit working the other night. My son in law just bought the new Galaxy and was throwing out his old one so I took it. It's a Galaxy S4 and it seems to run pretty good so far. I'm not use to the app support that it has.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Used to be every two years, but since I stopped being at the mercy of a carrier's contract I have switched freely whenever I feel like it. That has me averaging about 3 times a year for the last 4 years, but I recently have slowed that down. I'm hoping to get down to once a year or every 18 months, but I am weak to new tech.

I was once weak too when it came to new tech but present smartphone pricing trends (more on the top tier side of things) had me taking a step back and rethinking my strategy. Looking back over a three year period I came to the realization the gains (for my needs) have actually been miniscule in the grand scheme of things, and that one does not need to spend big bucks on a device to git-er-done. Now if one's goal is to have something new and shiny that's a different matter.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I was once weak too when it came to new tech but present smartphone pricing trends (more on the top tier side of things) had me taking a step back and rethinking my strategy. Looking back over a three year period I came to the realization the gains (for my needs) have actually been miniscule in the grand scheme of things, and that one does not need to spend big bucks on a device to git-er-done. Now if one's goal is to have something new and shiny that's a different matter.

I agree, and I tend to wait until the early adopters are moving on to something new then pick up the new stuff for half of what it was originally, and sell my old devices to offset the new one (that is a bonus to Apple products is that after the initial price hit, they don't drop that quickly). I don't NEED the latest and greatest, but I do like the new tech even just to try it out. I do agree that there aren't leaps and bounds in mobile tech like we once saw, so upgrading less often is easier.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
As you can see with my low-end phones, price is also a factor. I have never owned a flagship phone. As much as I would like to have something like an iPhone or a Galaxy S8, they’re just too expensive, as are the contracts too.

More and more price is becoming a deciding factor for many I believe. And think low-end/mid-range smartphones have evolved enough that one doesn't need the latest-n-greatest flagship to achieve a reasonable experience either. So although it may not be by choice we think you are in a better place than most... I just went mid-range and couldn't be happier and might even see what the low-end can deliver just for the sake of doing so, done forking out the BIG $$$.

MrockNroll

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I used to get one every 2 or 3 years, but the 950XL is my last smart phone. When this one dies, if I haven't got a not-Phone by then I'll get the cheapest phone I can find that will allow tethering. Some dumb phones can do this but they seem unbelievably difficult to actually buy. I do have a 930 and an 820 on hand to cover tethering until I can find out how tethering dumb phones are acquired. I shall use a small Windows tethered tablet with it.

MrockNroll

May 24, 2013
Visit site
As long as my 950XL battery holds up, so far so good and my wife's Alcatel Idol4S keeps rocken iam fine. I've got my 940, 521 and her 925 and 650 all working and in good shape for spares until the surface un- phone is released so iam saving up for that now. :)

DrChucky

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Simple question here for the community - how often do you upgrade or switch phones?

Prior to W10M having the plug pulled, I used to get a new smartphone phone every 12-18 mos. Since my first smartphone purchase in 2010 this what I've own led as my daily drivers: E73->N9->Lumia 1020->Lumia 830->Lumia 950XL...and now I've been on hold 2+ years looking for a suitable replacement.

Given the rise in phone costs and minimal gains between yearly upgrades, I'm more likely to upgrade every 2 years. Looks like my next smartphone will be the Nokia 8 Sirocco or Nokia 8 Pro depending on the release timing.

ManishKondaka

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
my phone's usually stay well for many years. I think in 2-3 years, I switch my phone to a new one... mostly mid range phone's. not the 1000$ phones 😋

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Back when phones were exciting, once a year or even more than once a year.
But since 2016 I haven't upgraded my daily driver. Still using the S7 because no phone was launched since that that's as good as that one.

I have got and bought a bunch of phones since then, but none of them was worthy of replacing the S7. And judging by the leaks so far, 2018 is setting itself to be another year without a phone worth upgrading from the S7.

If Nokia doesn't present something good, I'll probably buy a new S7 ('cause it's just easier than to buy a new battery, replace it etc).

miketer

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm from the same camp. I never change a phone until and unless my most used apps doesn't run anymore or any reason that doesn't allow me to complete my day to day duties on the gadget. I used a Nokia 9500 for almost 6 years. It was built like a tank. Then came the E73 in my life in 2010, but a software update somewhere in the year of 2013 created a very irritating sharp squeak sound when I make a call. My ears used to get hurt. Then made a decision of buying a cheap Android phone - Samsung Duos,which didn't go down well due to its hanging problems. I couldn't stand it & within 9 months, I was forced to run away from it.
Next was a Nokia 920- year 2013, till today my beloved phone, perfect size and all. After a couple of years of use, due to water ingress, completely knocked off speaker phone capabilities. Still continued hanging on to it until someone offered me a Lumia 1520 for a mere USD 175/- in December 2015. Grabbed it with both hands and had a great time with it.
Slowly, the pressures of unavailability of certain apps that's used company wide due to our work was kicking in, like Salesforce, Ventures onsite. Still held on to it.
Then this past December, saw an ad on eBay for the Google pixel 2016, brand new for USD 400/-. Even if I was on windows for almost 5 years, everyday I used to read articles about all other OS and hence I knew what exactly is a Google pixel. Didn't waste time. Just checked whether it's an Intl version, took out my credit card and committed to the purchase. There's 1 more year of support left on this, but I'm not the kind who throws a phone away due to'no support'. If things work fine and if I don't get stuck anywhere for any reasons, this phone will be run to the ground, I can assure you all on that. I got my hands on it on Dec 20 and until now, I haven't restarted it:), something surprising amongst Android phones. And oh, that camera on the Pixel, it's just WOW.
I wish that this phone sticks with me as long as possible. I just HATE, just HATE to buy something, because it's a new colour, shape, a slight upgrade from a previous processor, a slightly more RAM etc. Windows and iOS had priced that you don't need huge RAM capacities to run an OS smoothly. I completely disagree with people who just upgrade for the sake of fashion, not giving a damn about the landfill, our world.

donhackman

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Every year

I did the iPhone upgrade program through Apple. Every year in October I turn in my “old” phone and get the shiny new one. For anyone not wanting to venture out of the Apple ecosystem it is one of the best options out there.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
When I was using Windows phones, it was generally around every 2 years. I'm using an Android now (Google Pixel). I didn't upgrade to the Pixel 2 because there was no significant improvement over the original Pixel. I got the 128 GB model so storage is not really an issue. What matters to me is OS updates and carrier technology. I chose the Pixel primarily because it was the first to officially get OS updates and I'm not interested in an iPhone. If a phone stops getting OS updates because it is no longer supported then I buy a new one. If my carrier introduces a new technology (for example 5G) and it is available in my city, I'm tempted to upgrade to a device that supports that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa