How often do you upgrade or switch phones?

BobiBolivia

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I am holding to my L650 until it is dead from firmware side.

I was recently toying to switch to Android phone (preferably Nokia), and I was even looking for experience of iPhone 8 users, but:

- so called "planned obsolence" on Android, where most of the phones will get only 2 major releases at most (and seeing how 8.0 and 8.1 are not as present as they should be), is serious deal-breaker for me - I don't want to be forced to buy phone every 2-3 years, because major manufacturers are lazy to support 3-4 major releases;
- and recent screw-ups from Apple with throttling phones to preserve battery life, and screwing up iOS updates also put Apple only as "curious to look on", but not a candidate for buying;

I am also toying with idea to just ditch smartphone altogether and buy some nice dual-SIM classic phone and nice camera - I bet I could adapt to it in short time.

BanditoTR

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site
I buy a new one when either:
a. Phone breaks due to clumsiness
b. Battery doesn't last a full 9 hour day
c. It gets so slow I just can't stand it anymore

The first one is uncontrollable but for the other two options that might last for more than two years depending on the phone. When we could just replace the battery I didn't have to change phones at all. I used to use my old Nokia I bought in 2001 or 2002 until I bought a WP7 in 2010. After that I changed to an iPhone in 2012 because that battery died in like 5 hours and then changed that one in 2015 because it broke down. After that I had an accident in 2016 and I bought one that was a complete **** which brought me to buy my current one in November of the same year.

Don't change phones a lot when compared to my peers. Having said that I won't buy a cheap phone ever again, or at least one that doesn't have the current top processor.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I am holding to my L650 until it is dead from firmware side.

I was recently toying to switch to Android phone (preferably Nokia), and I was even looking for experience of iPhone 8 users, but:

- so called "planned obsolence" on Android, where most of the phones will get only 2 major releases at most (and seeing how 8.0 and 8.1 are not as present as they should be), is serious deal-breaker for me - I don't want to be forced to buy phone every 2-3 years, because major manufacturers are lazy to support 3-4 major releases;
- and recent screw-ups from Apple with throttling phones to preserve battery life, and screwing up iOS updates also put Apple only as "curious to look on", but not a candidate for buying;

I am also toying with idea to just ditch smartphone altogether and buy some nice dual-SIM classic phone and nice camera - I bet I could adapt to it in short time.

That's somewhat of a misconception though. Because you don't get the latest OS and its features doesn't mean your device is any less functional from what it once was. I own a few 3-5+ year old Android devices running older versions of Droid and they are just as functional today as my newer devices because, there is NO app-gap. Yes at some point I'm sure that will become a factor just like any other platform.

BobiBolivia

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
That's somewhat of a misconception though. Because you don't get the latest OS and its features doesn't mean your device is any less functional from what it once was. I own a few 3-5+ year old Android devices running older versions of Droid and they are just as functional today as my newer devices because, there is NO app-gap. Yes at some point I'm sure that will become a factor just like any other platform.

All valid points and I agree with you on them. However:

- when I buy device, I would expect manufacturers to milk the performance out of current chipsets before saying "yeah, this is too old now / no more room for improvement here without serious performance problems, you should buy a new device with newer chipset" - it is outright ridiculous that current devices with SD835 will probably not get Android beyond Android "P" (I base this assumption on how companies abandoned released device with only back-then-current Android release in the past) and devices with SD845 will probably start on Android Oreo 8.1 - ridiculous;

- sure, most 3-5+ years old devices are as functional as current devices, with one catch - have you seen security updates backported to older releases ? I didn't - and I would like to be proven wrong, because I am sure most Android 6.X devices did not see a single security update backported from, say, Android 7.1 (or 7.1.1) - and this is one of my main problems too - I don't want to buy device that will have support abandoned after 2-3 years - sure, I can go with Pixel devices (or any manufacturer that provides stock Android), but I want manufacturers to release security updates beyond official timelines - I did not buy XXX € device to fear hacking after 2 years, because "planned obsolence";

Andrew G1

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site
It's crazy to buy a new phone every year. A huge waste of money. Even every 2 years is a stretch. But some people just gotta look cool. That's why there are people with $1000 phones driving Uber.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
All valid points and I agree with you on them. However:

- when I buy device, I would expect manufacturers to milk the performance out of current chipsets before saying "yeah, this is too old now / no more room for improvement here without serious performance problems, you should buy a new device with newer chipset" - it is outright ridiculous that current devices with SD835 will probably not get Android beyond Android "P" (I base this assumption on how companies abandoned released device with only back-then-current Android release in the past) and devices with SD845 will probably start on Android Oreo 8.1 - ridiculous;

- sure, most 3-5+ years old devices are as functional as current devices, with one catch - have you seen security updates backported to older releases ? I didn't - and I would like to be proven wrong, because I am sure most Android 6.X devices did not see a single security update backported from, say, Android 7.1 (or 7.1.1) - and this is one of my main problems too - I don't want to buy device that will have support abandoned after 2-3 years - sure, I can go with Pixel devices (or any manufacturer that provides stock Android), but I want manufacturers to release security updates beyond official timelines - I did not buy XXX € device to fear hacking after 2 years, because "planned obsolence";

Oh couldn't agree with you more on the dismal support and security aspects that has plagued Android since its inception. I was just pointing out that w/o updates one's device is still capable several years down the road. Whether one continues to use it "as is" may be another matter.

So yeah, I totally get where you are coming from yet none of this is new news when speaking Android. Does frustrate me to no end sometimes too but I've come to be acceptant of it because, choice is limited when it comes to what works best for me.

IMHO, if some of these manufactures are going to be charging such absorbent prices (flagships) there should be a prerequisite that support (OS/security) is a given for at least four years. But being that there are too many factors involved here highly doubt we'll be seeing this becoming mainstream for quite some time yet.

I don't get too overly excited about hacking because IMHO, no matter what platform one is using there's always that potential. If one is into tech (computers, tablets, phones, etc) they've already put themselves in the line of fire just by using those devices. Personally think we need to be more concerned about company's having their databases breached than our phones. And believe a little due diligence on the users part can go a long way in keeping themselves safer.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I've been buying a different device about every 9-10 months looking back thru my online purchase history. I usually don't buy the latest/greatest phones.
Thank goodness for all the Android phones otherwise I'd be SOL
Scheduling wise I'm past due...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I've been buying a different device about every 9-10 months looking back thru my online purchase history. I usually don't buy the latest/greatest phones.
Thank goodness for all the Android phones otherwise I'd be SOL
Scheduling wise I'm past due...

Haha!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
@Guytronic haha.

I personally stick with what works and if it stops working I fix it or attempt to fix it haha.

Bar the Lumia 920 every single phone I bought has been second, third, 10th even 20th hand. Then stick a sim only contract in the phone and save money in the long run.

Come to think of it... things I own break down usually allll the time it seems... :grincry:

As every electronic device or gadget I own seems to give up the ghost after awhile. Never figured out why... I bet that damn Casper is upto mischief again as my motherboard is literally dying on me :grincry: then theres my hdmi switch which magically can be controlled by my TV remote with the volume down button and the hdmi cables, the routers, headphones, hard drives, electronic radiators, smartphones etc.. all seem to misteriously stop working when used. Left for awhile and they start magically working again! lol.

I suppose one silver lining about all these things breaking down, I'm learning hell of a lot haha.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I used to buy more often but I have settled down lately. Still using an iPhone 7 and SE. we’ll see what comes later this year but both are still serving me well and getting the latest updates so no hurry.

Jeffery L

Jan 13, 2018
Visit site
If you play guitar, you may be familiar with this thing called Guitar Acquisition Syndrome, or GAS for short. GAS is a mental illness where you purchase way too many guitars and/or music related hardware and software. People with GAS typically own over 10 guitars in their current inventory, and it is very dangerous to their financial standing to go to Guitar Center. I started to think I was having symptoms of GAS. I would say I had PreGAS. To prevent from going into full GAS, I decided to track my musical expenditures in a simple spread sheet. Every music related purchase goes in this spreadsheet. The spreadsheet calculates my average monthly spending since its inception and keeps track of how old things are. I started the spreadsheet in 2007. It shows almost $5000 in spending. I suspect there is a related mental illness for phones like Phone Acquisition Syndrome (PAS). If you think you have PAS, I would try the spreadsheet thing, and if you can remember, back populate the spreadsheet with past purchases. You might be surprised to see how much money you are spending on phones. To answer the question of the forum, I don't personally have enough data points to really contribute. I have only owned two phones so far. I would say I was a late adopter of smartphones. I was turned off by the cost of the data plans. In 2013, T-Mobile came out with no-contract plans that were affordable and didn't require a two year commitment. That is when I thought it made economic sense to get a smartphone. Since then, I have only owned two phones: a Nokia Lumia 520 in 2013, and a Microsoft Lumia 950 in 2015. I'm currently waiting for the Andromeda. I will purchase the Andromeda just to have the latest, which is not typical of my computing purchases.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Upgrade---not as often as I use to. I use to get a newer phone to trial like once a month.

Switch---too often. Sometimes once a week. I have more than several devices (I think at least 6 different models), all Windows phones that I shuffle between for different reasons. Primarily I use the 950 xl.

wtrmlnjuc

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Simple question here for the community - how often do you upgrade or switch phones?

I rarely upgrade or switch unless the phone is old and support disappears. I buy a flagship phone every few years to get the best experience, support, and have something that works. The only exception to this has been my 950XL, which was a terrible experience (bugs and restarts) and all support disappeared. Onto an iPhone X now since there's nothing new from MS.

I miss my HTC 8X.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Presently I'm switching between iOS and Android almost weekly.

Going between android LG V30 - Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact - and Pixel 2...iPhone 8 plus.

...haven't used my Idol 4S or 950XL in almost 2 months. :straight:

All of these phones are very nice to use. I'm using the Pixel 2 more than others it seems. It's very simple, very fast/efficient. I prefer the Sony's interface tho ... I like their software. I love the wide angle camera option on the LG ... that and the quality of the audio captured with video is outstanding ... best of all of them in my opinion. So it's the phone of choice for me at a concert. .... Sony comes close tho. iPhone is no slouch either. The video audio on the Pixel is OK ... but LG beats them all in that department.

Last edited:

lazybum131

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
About yearly, when either I have an itch to upgrade or am required to due to circumstances. More often than I'd like honestly. In hindsight I probably should've dropped Windows two years ago instead of getting a used Icon.

The best overall phone I had was probably the HTC 8X bought used for a steal, something like 150CAD a few months after release. WP8 was super fast and stable (some 3rd party apps notwithstanding), still had a lot of the 'hub' concept and integration going for it, decent enough camera and I wasn't feeling the hurt from the app gap like I do now. Too bad I knocked it from a bunk bed in my sleep and severely cracked the screen, but it was starting to have connection issues with the headphone jack and microUSB port already.

I've got an Essential phone on the way to replace my 950 XL which has been a big disappointment throughout, glad I only spent 230CAD on it used a year ago.

Costs keeps creeping up though, the Essential was a good deal for 310CAD spread over the next two years,I really hope it lasts me that long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss