Will Android be relevant 5 years from now?

anon(10409867)

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
Windows has survived for more than 30 years but the path has not been an easy one. Do you think that Android can last that long?

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The obvious answer is that we don't know. :wink:

At this point I don't believe we have any reason to think it won't be around in 5 years. But, 5 years ago we thought that about Windows Phone, WebOS, and BBOS.

However, Android has survived all of the above, as well as holding its own against iOS. It is currently the leading OS by sheer numbers. I think it is in a good position. But the tech world does not stand still.

Who knows?

anon(10409867)

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
Especially with things like VR, AR, AI, things will not be that easy. Even a brand new OS can come up and shake the 3 older daddies. It's very much possible.

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
Android is the world's most used OS, Windows may be older but unless Micrsoft gets it's head out of it's *** they won't be relevant in another 10 years.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
As long as it remains free to use and open enough for device manufacturers to do whatever they want with it then yes, it'll continue to be the go-to platform.

The fact that it's a bit rubbish, not very secure and tends to slow down most devices within 3 months of running it is irrelevant. It's position is guaranteed through its open source availability.

Even if AR/VR takes off wildly and Microsoft's next play in mobile computing actually goes mainstream, it'll take at least a decade for those things to put a noticeable dent in Android.

I just really hope MS don't screw up this Andromeda thing...

MatthewR413

Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
I actually am having this thought about Microsoft right now. I have a laptop and it works just fine and I use Windows daily because I'm a heavy Office user with my work, but when I go home I have my Amazon Fire TV and Alexa and corresponding smart home switches, devices, etc. I use my android phone to set all of this up and rather than invest in a new laptop, I've been looking at getting a 10" tablet because 90% of my time on a device at home is browsing the internet. I'm looking at sub-$200 to get a good android tablet that will do everything I want 90% of the time. I think I'm always going to need a Windows laptop for Excel and Word and Photoshop, etc.... but that's it. I don't want to travel with that laptop like I could a phone or tablet.

That also brings up the point of Alexa and Google assistant. Are OS's going to be a thing in 5 years? In 5 years, what is a OS? I don't think there will be very clearly defined lines expect maybe in the Apple universe because they are so careful to control the software and hardware sides end-to-end.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I actually am having this thought about Microsoft right now. I have a laptop and it works just fine and I use Windows daily because I'm a heavy Office user with my work, but when I go home I have my Amazon Fire TV and Alexa and corresponding smart home switches, devices, etc. I use my android phone to set all of this up and rather than invest in a new laptop, I've been looking at getting a 10" tablet because 90% of my time on a device at home is browsing the internet. I'm looking at sub-$200 to get a good android tablet that will do everything I want 90% of the time. I think I'm always going to need a Windows laptop for Excel and Word and Photoshop, etc.... but that's it. I don't want to travel with that laptop like I could a phone or tablet.

That also brings up the point of Alexa and Google assistant. Are OS's going to be a thing in 5 years? In 5 years, what is a OS? I don't think there will be very clearly defined lines expect maybe in the Apple universe because they are so careful to control the software and hardware sides end-to-end.

Good questions.
Things are always changing and I just want to see what it’s like in 5 years and be able to be part of it. I’m not married to one platform or the other, but I would bet Microsoft will still be trying to find their way.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Good questions.
Things are always changing and I just want to see what it’s like in 5 years and be able to be part of it. I’m not married to one platform or the other, but I would bet Microsoft will still be trying to find their way.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Good questions.
They'll get it right next time, they always do.

98SE good, ME bad, XP good, Vista meh, 7 (GOAT), 8 meh, 8.1 very good, 10 sucks.

They're right on schedule.

MatthewR413

Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
Good questions.

I don't know how seriously they'll be playing the consumer OS game though. Obviously MS see's the future as cloud computing, as does everyone else. Eventually i see them as a much smaller company and focused on services rather than actually making a OS like we're using now. It's not going to be like the 90's when they were as big as Standard Oil.

justjun555

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
yes it will be. because there is no competition and google will continue to evolve android by merging it with chrome os for desktop market and other solutions based on android for AR,VR and AI.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
What about a completely new platform that offers something unique that none of us can think about right now?

An issue with that is getting developers to get involved. Look at Tizen for an example. Has a better battery life than Android or even Apple, as I recall is more RAM efficient, and I think is a little leaner on how much storage it takes. Devs wouldn't touch it for building apps and programs with a 10 foot pole. Samsung even offered cash incentives to develop for it, and there were still no takers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3