03-19-2018 07:20 PM
32 12
tools
    Why are IT departments so stuck on low end Latitudes for their employees? Drives me crazy.
    Because the bean counters step in and f**k it up for everybody. They're the ones who foisted Ford Tauruses (Taurii?) and Chevy Cavaliers on every fleet manager in the US. I'm willing to wager they don't have Latitudes in their offices or a Taurus in their parking space.
    xandros9 likes this.
    03-18-2018 06:04 PM
    I don't work IT or have a work issued computer of any kind, but I've yet to see Windows 8 or Windows 10 in the work place.
    03-18-2018 08:21 PM
    Because the bean counters step in and f**k it up for everybody. They're the ones who foisted Ford Tauruses (Taurii?) and Chevy Cavaliers on every fleet manager in the US. I'm willing to wager they don't have Latitudes in their offices or a Taurus in their parking space.
    The IT director has a Surface Pro! I offered to pay for one last year, no luck. Must be a status thing.
    03-18-2018 08:57 PM
    I don't work IT or have a work issued computer of any kind, but I've yet to see Windows 8 or Windows 10 in the work place.
    Out of 250+ devices, we're 80% Win 10, the rest Win 7, except for 3 MacBooks and an iMac. Handful of iPads, but they're not used for anything consequential.
    03-18-2018 09:49 PM
    Every single doctor's office I've been to in the past 10 years is either on Windows 2000 or XP. My Cardiologist in particular is tech-heavy and he's on 2000 Professional. His entire staff walk around with iPads, the office has Pandora streaming music in every room and there's gadgets everywhere. Yet his PCs are stuck in a time warp, go figure.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-19-2018 07:20 AM
    Every single doctor's office I've been to in the past 10 years is either on Windows 2000 or XP. My Cardiologist in particular is tech-heavy and he's on 2000 Professional. His entire staff walk around with iPads, the office has Pandora streaming music in every room and there's gadgets everywhere. Yet his PCs are stuck in a time warp, go figure.
    I work in IT, and I see situations like this occasionally. Sometimes they are held back by their software vendors. It shouldn't be that way, but it is.

Or sometimes updated software is available, but there might not be much benefit to upgrading everything as far as functionality or reliability. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
    03-19-2018 08:03 AM
    I work in IT, and I see situations like this occasionally. Sometimes they are held back by their software vendors. It shouldn't be that way, but it is.

Or sometimes updated software is available, but there might not be much benefit to upgrading everything as far as functionality or reliability. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
    I noticed this at my dentists a while back but it makes sense. They have a very specific set of software tools they need to use and they KNOW it works on xp/2000/etc. They don't need the upgrade, re-training employees, etc. They have a job to do and they know everyday that that version of windows is going to work because they're not changing it.

Think of it like Latin. A dead language so it's never going to change. That's windows XP essentially.
    Laura Knotek and tgp like this.
    03-19-2018 07:20 PM
32 12